Essendon .. having the best jockey won't help a 3 legged horse win the cup!

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The changes Essendon have make with their new coaching team have been a great marketing exercise for the club. Some of the ruthlessness that epitomized Essendon under Sheedy has been on display.

The club should get its 50,000 members and further sponsorship support.

Their challenge though is to build a good team in the challenging drafting environment created by the introduction of GC and GWS. Watson, an injury prone Hille and a handful of talented youngsters and that is about it.

No proven key forward, no proven key backs (Fletch won't be there forever) and one a grade mid fielder in Watson.

Hird and his bunch of journeymen coaches may have the hype but they cannot make a bottom 4 side into a winner without players.

Was that keeping you awake Rimmer?
Needed to get that off your chest before your warm glass of milk and PJ's?

Also, a three legged horse has four legs, if you get where I am going.

just out of interest, if hird is "the best jockey" and essendon is a "3 legged horse", what sort of jockey and horse have richmond had for the last 30 years? Using your brilliant analogy i would genuinely like to know.

to have been rebuilding for so damn long and to still be lacking any success are they trying to ride a horse that has already been turned into glue and dog food?

just out of interest, if hird is "the best jockey" and essendon is a "3 legged horse", what sort of jockey and horse have richmond had for the last 30 years? Using your brilliant analogy i would genuinely like to know.

to have been rebuilding for so damn long and to still be lacking any success are they trying to ride a horse that has already been turned into glue and dog food?

Glue probably but don't worry, you're already a third of the way there with the 2nd worst list in the comp, a rookie coach, no home and a coterie group pulling the strings - not a terrible analaogy.

Now as far as Hird and Thompson go with regards to coaching... Thompson will be able to teach Hird, but the problem is the players or lack of quality players, so until that right mix of players and quality players is there, Essendon won't be making big steps up the ladder and with the next couple of drafts the way they are, who knows how they will go getting quality players. They really need to maximise their return from the players they pick up, probably 80% of drafted players need to be good enough to play senior footy within 3 years.

It's a big job and there will be a lot of pressure, especially in the second and third years.

I expect Hird to get some impovement out of the current list, but Sheedy left 5 years worth of damage to the list which still has to be worked through.

I don't think they can go with a Geelong style game as I believe the players at Geelong were more skillful, so it will be interesting to see how the new game plane comes out.

Essendon fans need to be patient, there are no quick fixes and the job to get quality players is harder with the drafts of 2010 and 2011.

Best Jockey??

Hird has never had any coaching experience before.

Bomber Thompson admitted at the end of last year his game plan didn't work anymore.

Who are the others?

Essendon....short term gains for long term losses. :):thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the way James Hird has handled himself over the last few month the term "knob jockey" would be more appropriate.
Yeah, lying is wrong.

svMALTHOUSE-420x0.jpg

Thou shalt not bear false witness.

All lies make baby jesus cry.

Does this mean you are planning on rejecting your newly established Lords Hird and Thompson?

Since they haven't been caught in a lie yet then no.

I cant be arsed searching for quotes but there's plenty of material out there to suggest otherwise.

I cant be arsed searching for quotes but there's plenty of material out there to suggest otherwise.
Just find one.

Thompson has barely spoken a word. I don't see how you can call him a liar. Maybe you think it's wrong of him to leave Geelong (despite having an exit clause) or have a go at Ablett for leaving (even though Bomber didn't leave Essendon for money, which was what the criticism was of) but he hasn't lied at all.

The only liar is Brian Cook who kept talking about Bomber staying, 100% certain that Bomber would stay etc, despite being aware that he was considering quitting.

For a guy who's supposedly been telling a whole lot of lies on public record, he's been conspicuous by his silence.

I don't get the issue.
We know our list's not that good. Work in progress.
We knew we could get better coaches now. Solved.

No-one's really picking us for top 4 or flag or anything; we'll aim to be more competitive & win more games than '10 and that's about it.

Wow. what a boring and shit thread...

I sense a mood shift in the football world. Essendon is replacing Collingwood as the "team to hate", and that's because everyone but Essendon supporters can see that what has happened at Windy Hill is all smoke and mirrors - the football team is still crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon .. having the best jockey won't help a 3 legged horse win the cup!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back