Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Flying_V

Rookie
Apr 11, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
When does Carlton's tenancy at Etihad end...?

After watching the Adelaide game, it seems that we struggle a lot more against better sides at Etihad. I don't know what it is but I just think we use the space of the MCG better.

We might have a better win/loss record at Etihad than the 'G over the last few years however, if you look at Etihad in 2010 against other teams vying for a finals spot, we lost to Sydney, WB, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Geelong and only beat St Kilda there. Geelong's a good case in point - we beat them convincingly at the MCG but lost to them at Etihad.

It seems against the teams that we are competing against for a top 4 side, Etihad works against us. We've got Geelong (H), St Kilda (A), Bulldogs (A), Sydney (H), West Coast (H) and Hawthorn (H) coming up at Etihad for the rest of the season. If Carlton is to be a contender in the finals, we have to win these games. After watching the Blues at Etihad against quality sides in the past, I can't see that happening. They would have more of a chance to beat quality sides at the G.

When does Carlton's tenancy at Etihad end...?

After watching the Adelaide game, it seems that we struggle a lot more against better sides at Etihad. I don't know what it is but I just think we use the space of the MCG better.

We might have a better win/loss record at Etihad than the 'G over the last few years however, if you look at Etihad in 2010 against other teams vying for a finals spot, we lost to Sydney, WB, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Geelong and only beat St Kilda there. Geelong's a good case in point - we beat them convincingly at the MCG but lost to them at Etihad.

It seems against the teams that we are competing against for a top 4 side, Etihad works against us. We've got Geelong (H), St Kilda (A), Bulldogs (A), Sydney (H), West Coast (H) and Hawthorn (H) coming up at Etihad for the rest of the season. If Carlton is to be a contender in the finals, we have to win these games. After watching the Blues at Etihad against quality sides in the past, I can't see that happening. They would have more of a chance to beat quality sides at the G.

How about we learn to play Etihad better rather than leave LOL!!!

I suppose if we start playing worse at the G we should then come back to Etihad?

I'd love to know when the deal expires also. We'd be in a far greater bargaining position this time round with both venues. You'd think we'd be potentially able to leverage an additional 300-500K if we are still on that shitty get out of jail gun to our head deal we signed when we were basically insolvent.
If anyone knows pls share.

I'd love to know when the deal expires also. We'd be in a far greater bargaining position this time round with both venues. You'd think we'd be potentially able to leverage an additional 300-500K if we are still on that shitty get out of jail gun to our head deal we signed when we were basically insolvent.
If anyone knows pls share.

Fairly sure it was a 10 year deal from 2006, so that means 2015 will be the last year of the deal.

With a couple of recent premierships when the deal needs to be made we should be in a good bargaining position. :D

We always struggle there no idea why.

I think its because one of our tactics is the quick switch of play. .. The narrow confines of The Docklands allow teams to zone off and shut down the value of this tactic. .. Our current game plan, using our own zone, should make us better at The Docklands but we will still be better at the MCG for the foreseeable. ..

Edit: Further to this, we need to start switching play without going too far backward. .. We showed glimpses of this on Saturday where we switched with run and handball before switching play with a forward kick. .. Laidler seems really important to this as he was often the target of the switching kick. ..

Fairly sure it was a 10 year deal from 2006, so that means 2015 will be the last year of the deal.

With a couple of recent premierships when the deal needs to be made we should be in a good bargaining position. :D

Cheers, he did a number on us the prick but from what I can remember we had no choice really. He gave us money up front to sign on and we used that to trade and survive. We'll get the next one right with I suggest a greater MCG mix and pocket some serious match takings.

How that was not a conflict of intrest, ill never know.

He apparently stepped back from negotiations and let others look after the situation...

But I reckon he had orders from fat andrew to screw Carlton on the deal so he told the negotiators from Carlton to accept whatever was offered

He apparently stepped back from negotiations and let others look after the situation...

But I reckon he had orders from fat andrew to screw Carlton on the deal so he told the negotiators from Carlton to accept whatever was offered

Stood back from negotiations? He was the CEO of Docklands FFS.

He was the one putting the deal forward to the board (on behalf of Docklands) in the first place!

Stood back from negotiations? He was the CEO of Docklands FFS.

He was the one putting the deal forward to the board (on behalf of Docklands) in the first place!

Same thing happened when they built the Docklands. .. Collo was on the AFL commission at the time and "stepped back from negotiations" as he was shifting to the CEO role at The Docklands. ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton don't play well at Etihad coz all you have to do there is throw a few extra players in defence and we are easily beaten. When you have no Plan B apart from 'bomb it long into the forward line' this will happen time and time again on the smaller grounds. Hawthorn and Geelong (and Adelaide last 3 quarters) have thorn us apart at Etihad using this strategy. We get away with it on the bigger grounds for obvious reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back