Eurovision - Rubbish or Talent?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cobba Stevens

Rookie
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Eurovision 2013 is upon us folks. Don't tell me I'm the only one who sits up when the euro acts belt out their hearts in a parade of glitter and wind machines on SBS?
I've heard it describe before as a cross between Rock Eisteddfod and Mardi Gras!

In all seriousness though, millions of fans ‘worldwide’ are in love and are passionate about this contest. With good reason too. Between the sequin capes, tight shorts and excessively complicated light shows, there is actually some decent talent on display.
Who can forget the good old days in 1974 when a bright-eyed bunch of 4 Swedes sung a catchy glam-pop number called Waterloo and then went on to become the most commercially successful acts in the history of pop.
And who would’ve thought that 39 years later, the show returns to Sweden, to be hosted by Malmö. A quaint city famous for unnecessary architecture and some guy who plays soccer in Paris.

I not expecting a lot of positive feedback on the contest, given I am posting this on an Australian 'Aussie Rules' forum, but still, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the program?

And as per usual, I've even done an infograhic celebrating this annual occasion. The link is through to my blog --> http://cobbastevens.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/swedish-meatballs-eurovision-2013/

Cobba.

I'm a fan, but mainly for comedy value, rather then actually expecting to hear any really good music. I've been watching for ages, even one year when i was in France and I watched the entire thing in French understanding very little of what was being said, but its pretty easy to follow anyway.
I always try to avoid hearing the result, so always avoid the news on the Sunday before SBS show it.

The acts I have seen are jaw-droppingly bad and as for the the laughable voting system - give me a break

Fun. Music is usually pretty poor - 'Oooh, a slow, syrupy ballad!'. Any good song stands out like the dog's proverbials. It's all about the show and who can crank up the wind machine the highest. Every now and then a gimmick act comes in and wins or grabs the headlines because of novelty value (Lordi, Russian grannies etc). Public voting is just a laugh.

FWIW I thought Montenegro(I think) had one of the most interesting songs, good rap, good rock chick, but completely ruined it with a lame Spaceman gimmick. (At least it seemed lame to me, 20,000 kms away, not speaking the language, and not the target demographic. But I know best:D).

Terry Wogan's commentary used to make Eurovision must see TV..haven't watched it for a few years now since SBS decided it was a good idea to have their own hacks involved.
SBS only started sending Julia Zemiro after Terry Wogan retired. Graham Norton does the commentary for the British coverage these days.

There are maybe 3 or 4 songs each year that aren't bad and I could listen to again (and could watch again), and this year was no exception, but mainly watch it for the lulz ... Julia and Sam are good value IMO.

There are maybe 3 or 4 songs each year that aren't bad and I could listen to again (and could watch again), and this year was no exception, but mainly watch it for the lulz ... Julia and Sam are good value IMO.
Quite like Julia and Sam - I think they get the right tone. The fact is, you can't send up Eurovision - you have to let it stew in it's own glorious tackiness and just occasionally remind the viewers that what they are watching is not quite normal. Wogan was great, but, fair cop, Graham Norton is good in his own way.

Sam is the master of the dead-pan 'Damning with faint praise'. I think he is one of the country's best comedy performers on the box.

I still remember (though I try not to) the year SBS decided it would be hilarious to have Mary Koustas do her 'Effie - the dumb Greek bint' act as the Eurovision host.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Eurovision - Rubbish or Talent?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back