F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m a bit surprised that Perez has an extension.
Yes, he is no threat to Max. But he hasn’t been the rear gunner that Bottas and Rosberg were to Hamilton when Mercedes were dominant.
With the advancements both Merc and McLaren are showing this season, Max needs a rear gunner.
Also, a bit premature signing him unless they know Max’s intentions moving forward.
Agree with this. His poor performances could also mean Red Bull lose out on the constructors this year.

I’m a bit surprised that Perez has an extension.
Yes, he is no threat to Max. But he hasn’t been the rear gunner that Bottas and Rosberg were to Hamilton when Mercedes were dominant.
With the advancements both Merc and McLaren are showing this season, Max needs a rear gunner.
Also, a bit premature signing him unless they know Max’s intentions moving forward.
me too. however, there choices are limited. either a rookie or someone who is no longer a first choice driver like ocon, ricciardo, even sainz.

Agree with this. His poor performances could also mean Red Bull lose out on the constructors this year.
Thing is, I don't think RBR are too fussed if they lose the WCC, they only seem to care about the WDC. To be fair, no one really remembers/cares who wins the WCC (outside of prize money), its all about who wins the WDC, and I believe the money PER brings in via sponsorship is worth more than the prize money lost going from 1st to 2nd in the WCC. Also winning the WCC means you have the least amount of Wind Tunnel time for the following season.

So in RBR eyes they will get the best of both worlds with keeping PER: More money overall, more wind tunnel time if they finish second in the WCC, which in turn means they have the best chance of providing a car for VER to continue dominating the WDC (plus the fact PER as a driver cannot challenge VER at all but can still generally be around the pointy end of the field, so a handy second driver to have if you don't care about the WCC.)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching highlights of qualifying for the IndyCar at Road America, looks like a good track, surprised F1 hasn't taken an interest in it, unless there's safety requirements it doesn't meet.
Unfortunately from a commercial perspective, Wisconsin doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Miami and Vegas.

But yes it does look like a decent race track. I think it needs to be a certain category level to be F1 eligible.

Unfortunately from a commercial perspective, Wisconsin doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Miami and Vegas.

But yes it does look like a decent race track. I think it needs to be a certain category level to be F1 eligible.
I checked it out, it's FIA Grade 2, so sadly it doesn't meet the standards F1 wants. It's seen some drama in its time,

2015 CCR Tifosi Challenge red flag wreck​

Google that, it was crazy.

I checked it out, it's FIA Grade 2, so sadly it doesn't meet the standards F1 wants. It's seen some drama in its time,

2015 CCR Tifosi Challenge red flag wreck​

Google that, it was crazy.
It wouldn't need much to get to FIA Grade 1 you'd think.

I'll admit the one I want to replace is Miami - it just sucks. COTA is actually a pretty good race track and Las Vegas was surprisingly good for a street circuit last year. Would also take Watkins Glen or Laguna Seca on the calendar too but not sure how well the track width on those two shapes up for F1.

Apparently Croatia are planning on having a Grade 1 track in a couple of years with a view to having an F1 race. But, a couple of Croatians on Reddit reckon it will never happen since the Government want private investors to fork out and pay for it all.

There has been some talk of South Africa for a while now but I can't see how they can fit another race onto the calendar. They'll have a full on revolt from the drivers if they keep adding more.

There has been some talk of South Africa for a while now but I can't see how they can fit another race onto the calendar. They'll have a full on revolt from the drivers if they keep adding more.
South Africa doesn't happen without dropping one.

Which always seems like a possibility.

I'd personally love to see Malaysia back but I very much doubt that ever happens.

South Africa doesn't happen without dropping one.

Which always seems like a possibility.

I'd personally love to see Malaysia back but I very much doubt that ever happens.
There is scope in the existing Concorde Agreement for adding one more race.

Having said that, Kyalami is currently a Grade 2 track, and would need upgrading (mostly just the installation of safety barriers) to bring it up to Grade 1 standard, making it suitable for F1.

The problem is that there are a LOT of other countries/tracks competing for that last slot, and any further additions would require existing tracks to lose their GP. Monaco should be the first one to go - it pays the lowest license fees, and it's a track which is completely unsuited to modern F1 cars. In reality, Spa (despite being the world's best F1 track) appears to be first in the firing line, due to license fees.

Only Grade 1 tracks are allowed to host F1 races. The list of tracks for Grades 1-6 can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ades issued by the,can host Formula One races.

Of course, there's nothing to stop countries from building new Grade 1 tracks, or upgrading existing tracks, in order to attract an F1 GP.

Just out of interest, here are the track gradings for several Australian tracks on the list:
1 - Albert Park
2 - Surfers Paradise Street Circuit, Sydney Motorsport Park (Eastern Creek), The Bend
3 - Adelaide Street Circuit, Mt Panorama, Hidden Valley, Phillip Island, Queensland Raceway, Sandown, Symmons Plains, Townsville Street Circuit, Wanneroo, Winton

Only Grade 1 tracks are allowed to host F1 races. The list of tracks for Grades 1-6 can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_racing_circuits_by_FIA_grade#:~:text=The grades issued by the,can host Formula One races.

Of course, there's nothing to stop countries from building new Grade 1 tracks, or upgrading existing tracks, in order to attract an F1 GP.

Just out of interest, here are the track gradings for several Australian tracks on the list:
1 - Albert Park
2 - Surfers Paradise Street Circuit, Sydney Motorsport Park (Eastern Creek), The Bend
3 - Adelaide Street Circuit, Mt Panorama, Hidden Valley, Phillip Island, Queensland Raceway, Sandown, Symmons Plains, Townsville Street Circuit, Wanneroo, Winton
I'm curious on how the Surfers Paradise track is considered a higher grade than Mt Panorama/Hidden Valley/PI etc.

That Surfers track would be absolutely terrible with these F1 cars.

I'm curious on how the Surfers Paradise track is considered a higher grade than Mt Panorama/Hidden Valley/PI etc.

That Surfers track would be absolutely terrible with these F1 cars.
A lot of the grading has to do with safety - it's all about run-off areas and safety barriers.

Surfers has a full debris fence all the way around the track. Mt Panorama only has it in the spectator areas (e.g. across the top of the mountain, and along the pit straight) - there are no barriers along Conrod Straight, or Mountain Straight, only a low concrete fence. Also, Mt Panorama has gradients which are too steep for a Grade 1 track, most notably through the Dipper.

The Bend doesn't have debris barriers around most of the track - but cars can safely run off for the better part of 5km without hitting anything, so they're (arguably) not needed.

This article discusses how tracks are graded: https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-track-grades-requirements-f1-potential/6508332/

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back