F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding JV crapping on Ricciardo. He made a point about the time Ricciardo was beating Vettel and how Vettel was trying things to make the car quicker, but it wasn't working. As if to say Ricciardo didn't beat Vettel on merit.

That reminds me of Villeneuve and Button in 2003. Button looked better and finished far higher up in the standings that year. But that was a time of mixed-up qualifying and variable fuel loads. Villeneuve would typically qualify with a heavier fuel load that put him back in the pack. Something would then happen to him (mechanical failure, crash, etc.) before he could make the most of his plan. But the weekend would show Button qualified ahead of him, raced ahead of him, while Villeneuve was looking like he was floundering before a dnf or worse finish.

I wonder if he's carrying a sore bottom still because of that?

Regarding JV crapping on Ricciardo. He made a point about the time Ricciardo was beating Vettel and how Vettel was trying things to make the car quicker, but it wasn't working. As if to say Ricciardo didn't beat Vettel on merit.

That reminds me of Villeneuve and Button in 2003. Button looked better and finished far higher up in the standings that year. But that was a time of mixed-up qualifying and variable fuel loads. Villeneuve would typically qualify with a heavier fuel load that put him back in the pack. Something would then happen to him (mechanical failure, crash, etc.) before he could make the most of his plan. But the weekend would show Button qualified ahead of him, raced ahead of him, while Villeneuve was looking like he was floundering before a dnf or worse finish.

I wonder if he's carrying a sore bottom still because of that?
That and one shot qualifying didn't suit JV at all.

Ricciardo smashed Vettel in the early part of 2014, then Vettel checked out and essentially tanked the rest of the season so he didn't reach a performance clause and be forced to stay at Red Bull.

Vowles is really making Paddy Lowe and Claire Williams look pretty ordinary when it comes to running a F1 team.
Yep, and this is the best possible offer I think Sainz will currently get.

Secured drive for 25 and 26, then gets the option to move on in 27 (When Perez and a few others contracts expire) if another team nails the 26 reg change.

Good little article, if a tad superficial, on the JV spray.

Includes the following in relation to the attack on RIC's earlier performances:

His 2020 season was arguably the best of his entire career.

He claimed two podiums — Renault’s first in almost a decade — in a car that had no real business being there.

He finished fifth in the drivers championship behind only the dominant Mercedes pair, Verstappen and Sergio Pérez, the latter in Racing Point’s controversial ‘pink Mercedes’.

He obliterated teammate Ocon, almost doubling his points score at 119-62.

While his career achievements have managed to evade Villeneuve’s awareness, they weren’t beyond F1’s team principals.

The team bosses gather at the end of every year in a secret ballot to rate the grid. Ricciardo was comfortably in the top 10 from 2014 to 2020, including even his less renowned first season at Renault in 2019.

Ricciardo’s ranking by F1 team principals

: 3rd

2015: 9th

2016: 4th

2017: 4th

2018: 5th

2019: 8th

2020: 4th

Villeneuve might argue that his opinion differs as a former driver, but Ricciardo was rated similarly highly in the annual driver’s driver poll run by the F1 website since 2018.

Ricciardo’s ranking by fellow drivers

: 5th

2019: 6th

2020: 3rd

Now of course none of this detracts from the fact that RIC is in the twilight of his career in 2024 and been beaten consistently by his team mate. But that was not the main focus of Villeneuve's twisted and factually wrong personal attack on RICs career.

The FIA has changed its rules to allow 17-year-olds to race in Formula 1 if they have "consistently demonstrated outstanding ability and maturity in single-seater formula car competition." it suits the immediate marketing and competitive needs of one of their most powerful partner organisations.

Never change FIA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The FIA has changed its rules to allow 17-year-olds to race in Formula 1 if they have "consistently demonstrated outstanding ability and maturity in single-seater formula car competition." it suits the immediate marketing and competitive needs of one of their most powerful partner organisations.

Never change FIA.

Pretty much. I'd hazard a guess there are a few Indy Car drivers pretty pissed about it.

Wonder if it's that Audi just aren't paying enough.

Can understand why somebody like Sainz is not willing to go there - it took Mercedes 3 years in the wilderness before they came good and then another year before they won the title. If it takes Audi a similar timeframe then Carlos will be in his twilight years by that stage.

And maybe I'm a jerk but if I was Ocon, I'd be signing the first bit of paper that was put in front of me.

I really don't like Antonelli straight to Mercedes, the least they could do is place him in an F1 car with lesser expectations for a year to see how he translates to F1 before putting him in a car that's expected to win or podium. Doesn't seem fair or smart to load a kid up with expectation so early in his career.

I really don't like Antonelli straight to Mercedes, the least they could do is place him in an F1 car with lesser expectations for a year to see how he translates to F1 before putting him in a car that's expected to win or podium. Doesn't seem fair or smart to load a kid up with expectation so early in his career.

I think the plan is to send him to Williams for the second half of the season if Williams dump Sargent. That is why they wanted special permission from the FIA to make Antonelli eligible for a seat.

Neither Antonelli or Bearman are exactly dominating F2 this year.

Is there a risk with Bearman that he ends up De Vries 2.0 ?
(gets a seat after doing well filling in, but ultimately isn't at the level)
Difference is De Vries was 28 in his failure of a half year at Alpha Tauri, whereas Bearman will be 20 next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back