F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Neither Antonelli or Bearman are exactly dominating F2 this year.

Is there a risk with Bearman that he ends up De Vries 2.0 ?
(gets a seat after doing well filling in, but ultimately isn't at the level)
If by risk you mean a near on certainty then yes, been behind martins 3 years in a row who is behind doohan in the alpine ranks and also behind maloney 2/3 years who no one at all is talking about.

Media getting over excited over driving the 2nd best car to points has set him up for maybe not a de vries but certainly a zhou level career at the top.

Antonelli has been performing a lot better at least before this year but it must be noted he has been apart of the prema family for many years so he has been in the best stable driving fresh engine cars not doing it in old cars. You would think with sainz out there as an option they know he isnt going to be a complete flop but is he as good as the hype? Unlikely unless he continues to develop

I found myself wondering last night if the Red Bull is still the fastest car in the field? Have the likes of McLaren and/or Ferrari overtaken them this season?

There's no doubt that Verstappen is the fastest driver. There's no doubt that they started the season as the fastest car, but recent updates to the McLaren and Ferrari cars have closed the gap to Red Bull significantly. Have they even overtaken them?

Seemingly gone are the days of Verstappen winning by 20 seconds, with Perez coming in 2nd. That sort of thing hasn't happened since China.

Since then...
Miami - Lando won, albeit with the benefit of safety car timing
Monza - Verstappen won, but only by 0.725 seconds. Sainz & Piastri both finished less than 20 seconds behind Max.
Monaco - LeClerc won, Piastri 2nd, Max 6th
Canada - Verstappen won, albeit with the benefit of safety car timing. Lando was only 3.9 seconds back, with Russell, Hamilton, Piastri & Alonso all within 20 seconds at the finish line.

That's 2 of the last 4 races won by non-Red Bulls, and another where Max probably wouldn't have won without the benefit of a fortuitous safety car.

2023 may have been the most one-sided season in history, but 2024 is shaping up to be an absolute belter, with McLaren, Red Bull & Ferrari all capable of winning on their day.

I found myself wondering last night if the Red Bull is still the fastest car in the field? Have the likes of McLaren and/or Ferrari overtaken them this season?

There's no doubt that Verstappen is the fastest driver. There's no doubt that they started the season as the fastest car, but recent updates to the McLaren and Ferrari cars have closed the gap to Red Bull significantly. Have they even overtaken them?

Seemingly gone are the days of Verstappen winning by 20 seconds, with Perez coming in 2nd. That sort of thing hasn't happened since China.

Since then...
Miami - Lando won, albeit with the benefit of safety car timing
Monza - Verstappen won, but only by 0.725 seconds. Sainz & Piastri both finished less than 20 seconds behind Max.
Monaco - LeClerc won, Piastri 2nd, Max 6th
Canada - Verstappen won, albeit with the benefit of safety car timing. Lando was only 3.9 seconds back, with Russell, Hamilton, Piastri & Alonso all within 20 seconds at the finish line.

That's 2 of the last 4 races won by non-Red Bulls, and another where Max probably wouldn't have won without the benefit of a fortuitous safety car.

2023 may have been the most one-sided season in history, but 2024 is shaping up to be an absolute belter, with McLaren, Red Bull & Ferrari all capable of winning on their day.
But is Max too far ahead due to early dominance to be caught ?

But is Max too far ahead due to early dominance to be caught ?
Max will win the Championship. Max in the current Red Bull, which is slightly slower than Ferrari & McLaren, is still the fastest driver in F1. He's just not 0.5 seconds per lap faster. Even with the other teams having closed the gap, he's still winning 60% of the races, and (Monaco aside) on the podium in the races he doesn't win.

... it does mean that Perez doesn't get close to the podium though.

Max will win the Championship. Max in the current Red Bull, which is slightly slower than Ferrari & McLaren, is still the fastest driver in F1. He's just not 0.5 seconds per lap faster. Even with the other teams having closed the gap, he's still winning 60% of the races, and (Monaco aside) on the podium in the races he doesn't win.

... it does mean that Perez doesn't get close to the podium though.
That still says far more about Perez than it does the Red Bull.

I'm not convinced the Red Bull is slower either. Perhaps at some tracks but I think overall it's still the one to catch.

Really pleased the gap is closing significantly. Just need Mercedes to pull their fingers out. A four team battle at the top would be unreal.

That still says far more about Perez than it does the Red Bull.

I'm not convinced the Red Bull is slower either. Perhaps at some tracks but I think overall it's still the one to catch.

Really pleased the gap is closing significantly. Just need Mercedes to pull their fingers out. A four team battle at the top would be unreal.
Last year it was slow at Singapore, but faster at every other track.

This year it was slow at Monaco (Verstappen only qualified 6th), and on par with the others at every race since Miami. If it was just a one-off, then I'd agree with you - but it's been Miami, Monza, Monaco and Canada. That's a decent string of races, suggesting it's "some tracks" only.

It's making the season far more interesting, with 5 drivers genuinely in with a chance of winning each race.

I think the Red Bull is still the best overall car on the grid, even if it's show deficiencies at one or two tracks. Max will win the title at a canter, just not quite as far ahead as he was last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the McLaren is the fastest car at the moment but Max is just in a league of his own. With how bad Checo is it is hard to really get a gauge on where the Red Bull is at. Put Max in either the Ferrari or McLaren and he is still getting the same results, IMO.

I reckon the McLaren is the fastest car at the moment but Max is just in a league of his own. With how bad Checo is it is hard to really get a gauge on where the Red Bull is at. Put Max in either the Ferrari or McLaren and he is still getting the same results, IMO.
That's my point... I don't think the Red Bull is the fastest car any more, but Max is still the fastest driver.

Last year it was slow at Singapore, but faster at every other track.

This year it was slow at Monaco (Verstappen only qualified 6th), and on par with the others at every race since Miami. If it was just a one-off, then I'd agree with you - but it's been Miami, Monza, Monaco and Canada. That's a decent string of races, suggesting it's "some tracks" only.

It's making the season far more interesting, with 5 drivers genuinely in with a chance of winning each race.
You’ve said Monza twice now, you mean Imola.

The Red Bull certainly isn’t as quick on the street circuits. The race pace at the other tracks has still been pretty good.

This upcoming block will tell the story. The Spanish, Austrian, UK, Hungarian, Belgian, Dutch, Italian Grand Prix’s are the tracks I think they’re still quickest at. Time will tell.

I really don't like Antonelli straight to Mercedes, the least they could do is place him in an F1 car with lesser expectations for a year to see how he translates to F1 before putting him in a car that's expected to win or podium. Doesn't seem fair or smart to load a kid up with expectation so early in his career.
I am not sure if the Antonelli and Bearman moves are good or not, i do think it is exciting for the sport though. I think both have talent and the sport needs some fresh blood. It definitely has some risks but that isn't always a bad thing.

You’ve said Monza twice now, you mean Imola.
Oops... you are, of course, correct.
The Red Bull certainly isn’t as quick on the street circuits. The race pace at the other tracks has still been pretty good.

This upcoming block will tell the story. The Spanish, Austrian, UK, Hungarian, Belgian, Dutch, Italian Grand Prix’s are the tracks I think they’re still quickest at. Time will tell.
Time will tell. I suspect the McLarens & Ferraris will continue to keep pace.

My tip for the trophies - McLaren to win the Constructors Championship (as Red Bull bleed points through Perez), with Max winning the Drivers Championship.

The flexing front wing is the issue.

Also reports ferrari have given Newey a 3yr deal worth 105 million.

If true, Hamilton is walking into a gold mine.

Think we can say without a doubt Verstappen is the best driver on the grid at the moment. It's basically up to him now how long he's motivated to stay at the top, think he'll aim for 8 WDCs personally.

If true, Hamilton is walking into a gold mine.

Think we can say without a doubt Verstappen is the best driver on the grid at the moment. It's basically up to him now how long he's motivated to stay at the top, think he'll aim for 8 WDCs personally.
Will Hamilton be around long enough to see the benefit of Newey though?

I remember reading (or might have been one of the Sky pundits) saying that even if Newey moves to a team for next year, realistically any input he has into the car design won't be felt significantly until at least 2027.
Think that'd keep Lewis motivated enough to keep going until then.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back