F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Impatience proved very costly for the second half of DR's career. Both his own, and his team managers.
Strongly Disagree.

In 2018 at the age of 29, Ricciardo rightly summed up that he was the clear second driver at Red Bull with the arrival of Verstappen and that he would never win a championship there.

And he performed relatively well at Renault until he, rightly again, determined that McLaren was the place to be for a driver still believing they had a championship chance. And as we've all seen- his assessment of McLaren as a future world champion team was spot on.

Sadly for Danny Ric, his driving style did not match the McLaren car and not only did Norris soundly outperform him but his seat was clearly under pressure. From then on his chance at a world championship was over

So I don't see it as 'impatience' at all. But a world class driver desperately trying to get the best of his career while he was on top. But the decline came quicker than he anticipated and at 35 years of age and 13 years at the pinnacle of world motor sport he has retired.

Both on and off the track timing is everything in F1. Career wise his timing might have been a little off but blaming it on impatience is the wrong call imho.

Still annoyed I coughed up $80 for his Renault cap only to see him exit a year later

I forked out close to $200 for one of the Danny Ric McLaren limited edition Mitchell & Ness grid iron jerseys in bright papaya orange a couple of years back. Stands out in a crowd that's for sure. Collector's item now (that's my story anyway).

Last edited:
Very sad..in different circumstances would still be in a contending car now and doing very well.

But he's had a fantastic career.

It's sad that this whole saga of him and perez and Lawson has been handled so terribly this year (and shows what a joke that a company as big as red bull does PR more poorly than a work experience kid) but it shouldn't overshadow what has been a great career.

RBR will never do that.
What are the options if Max walks though?

Experienced driver pool would be Magnussen, Ricciardo, Bottas, and possibly Sainz if there is an exit clause in his Williams deal (but is Red Bull really a desirable destination anymore, it seems like things are trending south).

Young driver pool would be Lawson, Hadjar, Iwasa within RB, or if looking outside you have Schumacher, Drugovich, O'Ward, Shwartzman, Pourchaire or Fittipaldi. None of these I'd say are top team ready (particularly if replacing Max), but you could quite easily throw them into VCARB and promote Yuki.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back