Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle. Who will breakthrough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Out of these 3 expansion teams (GC, GWS, FRE) none of them have won a flag and played in 2 Grand Finals with the unfortunate misadventure of running into two teams in their dynasties.

Who do you think will win their maiden flag?

Freo-GWS-GC

Last edited:
Out of these 3 expansion teams (GC, GWS, FRE) none of them have won a flag and played in 2 Grand Final with the unfortunate misadventure of running into two teams in their dynasties.

Who do you think will win their maiden flag?

Freo-GWS-GC
GWS- winning culture [including finals], make reasonable decisions and have by far the best list of the three currently.
Freo and GC have a culture of losing and mediocrity [sadly] that they have to shake off as an added pressure. Though we have seen a few teams do that in the past decade.

GWS have just found a way to get high draft picks every year. Eventually the amount of talent they have on their list has to pay off (surprised it hasn't already...)

Gold Coast may never win one. Honestly.
Odds would be against that I reckon. Their current list is stacked if they can keep it together. Its a big if though isnt it. if this group misses out then it might take 20 years until their (really impressive and rapidly growing) grassroots football program produces home talent and they go again

From a Melbourne Perspective - Fremantle.

Teams need good players, stability off-field, good management, good culture to all come together at the perfect time and then build for ten years and with a bit of luck with injuries finally win one. I've seen Melbourne try and manufacture success through the draft while there was no solid management and it's a disaster. It was not until the AFL appointed Peter Jackson and Paul Roos, probably the two best in the country at building a club, that they finally achieved success ten years later.

Gold Coast and GWS will never win while they are chasing cheap quick success. Freo has the money and time to do it properly.

If GWS can recognize that Cameron’s taken them nowhere and find a new coach, it might be them.
We haven’t yet. Unless we get the spoon we probably won’t.
In saying that he did a phenomenal job this season in getting us to where we ended up. What with injuries, being away from home for so long etc.

GWS > Fremantle > Gold Coast

Freo just has the age old issue of drafting or trading in a forward line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle have the best list IMO. Yes, they need a key forward but Treacy is pretty promising and if they can keep the three of Logue, Pearce and Cox on the park they'll be well placed defensively with Chapman, Young, Ryan, Clark and Walker all nice medium/small defenders. Midfield they have the foundations there with Brayshaw, Serong, Brodie (maybe) and I really rate O'Driscoll as a midfielder as well from his draft year. Forward line they have Treacy and will likely draft Amiss in the first round, along with NGA product Benning as a forward/ruck, whilst I like Schultz, Western and Sturt they probably need another medium and another small forward IMO.

Gold Coast need a key forward badly to partner King, some of you may point to Chol but I really don't rate him and I think Gold Coast's decision to give him 4 years was a shocking one. A key defender is something they really need too, just to maybe release Ballard as a medium alongside Lukosius with their marking and kicking skills, however I like their small defence between Powell, Budarick and Bowes as a potential trio of smalls, whilst their midfield has all the building blocks there right now.

GWS's biggest issue for me is their small forwards and their key defence. Taylor is a star and if he hadn't been injured would have been an AA contender this year but whilst I like Idun and Buckley I'm not convinced they're second talls. I can see them trading back and grabbing someone like Gibcus to partner him. Small forwards wise, there isn't much outside of Green. Bobby Hill has tricks but is inconsistent at this point in time, I don't really rate Daniels but that's probably because I don't pay a lot of attention to him, and then there isn't much after that.

Fremantle
GWS
Gold Coast

For me

Gold Coast need a key forward badly to partner King, some of you may point to Chol but I really don't rate him and I think Gold Coast's decision to give him 4 years was a shocking one. A key defender is something they really need too, just to maybe release Ballard as a medium alongside Lukosius with their marking and kicking skills, however I like their small defence between Powell, Budarick and Bowes as a potential trio of smalls, whilst their midfield has all the building blocks there right now.
Lukosius is moving forward in 2022.

The two newest expansion sides are finally finding their feet after 12 long years together.

Will Gold Coast and GWS meet in a final this decade and who'll be the first to win a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle. Who will breakthrough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back