Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Cotch it was a little bit of a left field part time appointment with him being in Melbourne and I wondered whether we were warming him up for a more significant/learning role in 2025 and beyond.

He won't fancy returning to the Tigers any time soon.

Always nice when the coaches votes match your own!

That's the order I had them in too.

We must be astute judges, geniuses even ;)

Seriously, it was fantastic to see Harris polling so well. He was magnificent.

As brilliant as Zorko was, I wouldn't have objected if Andrews had got the medal

It's more that people find it very weird that you're blaming the coach for the team not kicking straight when we won that quarter around the contest and in general play. People are probably thinking that you're just looking for reasons to pot the coach.
I’m not though, poorly worded on my part that it’s another third quarter loss which I prefaced was probably due to extenuating circumstances

Interesting how a couple of weeks without a loss sends this thread off the front page 😂🤔

Good thing is that none of the younger players we've brought in this year have let us down. Added some run and seem to be improving with the experience.

I'm starting to wonder if Chris Fagan is a better coach of younger players than older, more experienced guys. We've seen Bruce, Logan and Shadeau come in over recent weeks, and I think on the whole they've probably surpassed our expectations as supporters.

I imagine they have all benefitted greatly from having the coach's confidence that they will be able to go out there and fulfil their role in the team, regardless of their inexperience at senior level.

I wonder if a different skillset or mindset is required to get the best out of some of more experienced players, who have been in the team for several years and perhaps have not improved to the extent we feel they should. Perhaps this is where a bit more "mongrel" is needed from coaches to "provoke" and "challenge" these players, as opposed to the "protect" and "nurture" which seems to work well whenever we have had a debutant.

This is certainly not intended as a criticism, more an observation. Everyone has strengths as well weaknesses whatever job they do, and I wonder if this is one aspect of our coaching where we could look to find more of a balance.

Either way, the fact that these 3 guys have all come in and performed well so far speaks to the ability of our coaching group to provide them with both clarity of role (ie what's expected of them playing that specific position) and also the confidence to go out and perform that role to the best of their ability.

Interesting how a couple of weeks without a loss sends this thread off the front page 😂🤔

I'm starting to wonder if Chris Fagan is a better coach of younger players than older, more experienced guys. We've seen Bruce, Logan and Shadeau come in over recent weeks, and I think on the whole they've probably surpassed our expectations as supporters.

I imagine they have all benefitted greatly from having the coach's confidence that they will be able to go out there and fulfil their role in the team, regardless of their inexperience at senior level.

I wonder if a different skillset or mindset is required to get the best out of some of more experienced players, who have been in the team for several years and perhaps have not improved to the extent we feel they should. Perhaps this is where a bit more "mongrel" is needed from coaches to "provoke" and "challenge" these players, as opposed to the "protect" and "nurture" which seems to work well whenever we have had a debutant.

This is certainly not intended as a criticism, more an observation. Everyone has strengths as well weaknesses whatever job they do, and I wonder if this is one aspect of our coaching where we could look to find more of a balance.

Either way, the fact that these 3 guys have all come in and performed well so far speaks to the ability of our coaching group to provide them with both clarity of role (ie what's expected of them playing that specific position) and also the confidence to go out and perform that role to the best of their ability.
It’s still a valid discussion point - we got owned by Geelong at home in the wet who have since been owned by the Gold Coast. Tactically when things go our way we are brilliant like the first qtr v Carlton and vs a severely undermanned Tigers. But when they don’t we just lack an alternative.

It’s not just one main it’s a team of coaches and I’m still of them view that we’re lacking some fresh outside thinking.

It’s folly to think we can let this year slip and reload next year and all will be ok. Time waits for no man and in this competition things fall off the cliff real quick. I’m really hoping we’ve put some work into this mid season draft

The attached is from an Afl.com article.

It shows that the coaches are open to player input. Sometimes.

It took an injury, but Cal asked in the preseason so he was looking for an opportunity to play his best footy.

Obviously we don't always give players an opportunity to dazzle us in their preferred position. The conundrum is it is highly likely we are missing out on other players best.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-21-12-27-02-00_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-21-12-27-02-00_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 35

It took an injury, but Cal asked in the preseason so he was looking for an opportunity to play his best footy.

Obviously we don't always give players an opportunity to dazzle us in their preferred position. The conundrum is it is highly likely we are missing out on other players best.
We gave Froggy a chance in the backline and he surprised everybody.

We were forced to play Zorko in the back half and he's just got a new lease on life with imo astounding form considering I thought he was washed up at end '23.

We've tried Rayner everywhere and I'll leave it to others to judge the outcome but as yet he doesn't have an established position.

Berry seems more assured M/F than on the wing but that's got a lot to do with having adequate wing replacements so far.

The injuries we've had have been a real downer but the upside has been that we've been forced to give others opportunities and thus far there's hope that they could develop into regular players.

I think Fagan has forgotten that Cal put that to him in his injury interrupted 2023 season prior to his return to AFL.
Cal returned to AFL in round 10 & 14 as sub only, then he had a full game in round 16.
His next game was in round 19 and he was put into that wing/forward position that he retained for the year.
Cal petty much doing the same so far this year.
He has only kicked 6 goals in total so far with 4 in one game v Crows.

It’s time. Whether it be this off season or next it is time.

I know this thread only gets bought up in retrospect after a game, but we are at bye week now. There is enough sample size to show we have regressed and regressed quite badly even considering the injuries.

Either line up a new coach to take over for next year or sign up the best tactical assistant coach with a succession plan to take over from Fages after a year or two.

It’s time. Whether it be this off season or next it is time.

I know this thread only gets bought up in retrospect after a game, but we are at bye week now. There is enough sample size to show we have regressed and regressed quite badly even considering the injuries.

Either line up a new coach to take over for next year or sign up the best tactical assistant coach with a succession plan to take over from Fages after a year or two.

So if a team goes backwards 1 year they sack the coach? Would be a very high turnover rate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Throw everything, including the kitchen sink at Chris Scott.

So if a team goes backwards 1 year they sack the coach? Would be a very high turnover rate
It’s not just going backwards. Literally go back through this thread and the same issues that were raised originally are still valid now, they’re even more pronounced given we are a worse side now.

We’ve always been a talent based team which is fine it won us many games, but as players get older and have started slowing we can’t rely on that any longer.

By refusing to play other players in the past, due mainly to our fantastic injury list it has left us exposed in terms of depth. In other words it’s shit. Rightly or wrongly the coach is responsible for that. I’m sure if you went back and asked Fages now if he’d like to have given some of these guys a bit more of a go over the years he’d probably say yes now as it is exposing us badly once we had any injuries hit.

Don’t get me wrong Fages is a legend of this club, but after 8 years in charge a clean break is nearing.

Well, it's something we should be trying to iron out in training through practice. If we're trying that and it isn't working, then I agree it isn't the coaches fault. But if we're not trying that, it's a problem.

Of course they are trying to fix their accuracy issues.

How in the **** has Fagan not got the boys up for this. The stats said we don’t win the week before the bye when playing away and here we are falling to a bottom four team and all but ending any hope of playing finals. Don’t give me that he isn’t responsible for the players inaccuracy; how does he not get them up? So pathetic on so many levels.

How in the **** has Fagan not got the boys up for this. The stats said we don’t win the week before the bye when playing away and here we are falling to a bottom four team and all but ending any hope of playing finals. Don’t give me that he isn’t responsible for the players inaccuracy; how does he not get them up? So pathetic on so many levels.

Yes definitely his fault the players kept missing and Zorko gave away 3 goals 🙃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back