Fastest Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

I always thought Yarran off half back was like watching the 2nd coming of Andrew McLeod. Play style, skill level.. but even the way he moved was so McLeod-esque with his ease and smoothness. My favourite thing about watching McLeod on a run was it would look like he was cruising at 80% but would be easing away from people busting a gut. Yarran was exactly the same, just looked to be cruising but no one would ever get close, then would hit a beautiful pass.

Not as prolific stats wise, McLeod was obviously better, but just the way he moved all I could see was McLeod.

Surprised no mention of the following:

Carl Norman and Laurence Angwin - when carrying stolen TVs or avoiding drug testing

Fevola - very quick on the lead and when applying pressure points.

Marc Murphy - when running towards goal (only)

Shaun Hampson had elite speed (though not 100 games). His chase down only to push a player in the back as blatantly as possible probably summed up his career with us quite well. Elite speed but no idea about football.

Quick definitely - except maybe Glascott but I will cede to others views on him but not sure they were express, I know I,ve included guys like Bradley and Betts who were not express either but as I noted I gave them some leeway based on champion status.
Just presenting some options of the quickest Blues as opposed to express pace…..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think agility is often mistaken for speed.

In terms if straight line speed I think it's clearly Armfield in my time. Brad Pearce and Fev would be on the podium.

According to the magic window Pearce had a sub 11 second 100 as a teenager. The flavour saver would have slowed him down in adulthood, but still...

Last edited:
So from this and other boards I've had the following names thrown up:

Yarran Jeff Garlett Harmes Doull Glascott De Iulio Marcou Fevola F Murphy Walker Cattogio Hall
As a big man Harry McKay

Players whom don't make the 100 game cut-off:
Naley Waddell Pearce Kenna Norman Angwin Hampson

Of course if we include pre-VFL players there are some flyers - flanker Jack King, wingmen H "Carbine" Simpson (aka the Carlton Flyer) and Bill "Carbine" Moloney (both nicknamed after the Melbourne Cup winning horse) who was named by an old Hawthorn captain looking back over his 6 or 7 decades of watching the games as one of the best 5 players he had seen (the best being another Blues great and no slow-coach 3 time Champion of the Colony George Coulthardt often in the discussion of the GOAT) and stars from the Carlton team of the (19th) century including George "Sterling Geordie" Smith, Jack Gardiner, William “Billy” Strickland, JH "Harry" Guy, Jack Baker, Billy Goer, Charles Coulson, George Coulthard speedy and in conversation for the best player of all time, Bill “The Little Wonder” Newing (debut at 12-14 years of age),
Billy Dedman goal sneak par excellence, Dick Frayne, Fred W “Paddy” Gunn, Billy Lacy "the finest centre player the colony has seen" John MacGibbon defender and inaugural vice-captain of the Club, Peter Williams, Barney Murphy follower/defender and exceptional allround athlete notably champion sprinter and in his days as a volunteer fireman would run to the fire so as to get there quicker than the fire engine! (I presume horse drawn in those days) Footballer, sprinter, cyclist, pugilist,, rower, cricketer … and last but not least Jack Roberts wing/defender "one of the fastest men that ever played the game".

I might sit down and redo the team in light of those suggestions, but meantime here is one of players I have myself seen, who have played seniors for Carlton:

ARMFIELD JONES MCGOVERN

SAAD PEROVIC HALL

MARCHESANI KOUTOUFIDES MCCONNON

JACKSON H MCKAY YARRAN

HAMPSON FEVOLA GARLETT

DE KONING JUDD BRADLEY

COLLINS MCKERNAN PEARCE QUIRK WALKER

SO, ALL TIME QUICKEST SENIOR 23 , NO GAMES LIMIT

DENNIS ARMFIELD LIAM JONES KEVIN HALL

CARBINE MOLONEY BARNEY MURPHY JACK ROBERTS

FRANK MARCHESANI CRAIIG BRADLEY CARBINE SIMPSON

JEFF GARLETT HARRY MCKAY CHRIS YARRAN