Favorite Beers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Axl the great

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seeing as though we have a single malt whisky thread i thought it only appropriate that we have one on our favorite beers, Top 5 should suffice.

1-Kirin First Pressed. My personal favorite nice hoppy taste but not heavy, a very smooth and well balanced beer and goes down like the sun. Awesome drop.

2-Bohemian pilsner(Matilda Bay)-Lovely rich pilsner, not thick and just bitter enough perfect on cold nights and matches very well with hearty meals like a stew or casserole.

3-Redback Crystal, Lovely beer, full stop.

4-Grolsch- Tasty beer that is a bit lighter in texture than the typical Euro style lager but full of flavour and a great after taste.

5-Rooftop Red-(Matilda Bay)-Very gutsy beer, quite bitter and a full character, strong in taste but doesnt sit heavily like other full flavoured counterparts. A nice beer perfect with a roast.

Emu is a very very good beer too agreed, never had Ballarat have give it a crack though.
Used to be a family owned brewery but I think CUB have bought them out.
A special order at the bottlo

Last friday I experienced a place called "beer deluxe" in fed quare for the first time. Excellent (if quite expensive) place for a beer, with an incredible range.

The explosion in micro-breweries in the past five or so years has led to a much better range for laymen like me to sample beyond the cub/lion nathan range.
We were enjoying something called 3 ravens "Smoke Ale" from a little place in thornbury.

Highly recommended, along with a trip to woodend to the holgate brewery.

Hope you're being facetious, Emu is close to the worst beer in this country... right up there with West End and Tooheys Red.

Matter of taste I suppose.

I love the stuff and order it from WA regularly.
I spent a few years in Kalgoorlie and I suppose it was a choice between Emu and Swan (blech) and I got a taste for it.

I'm a bit old school possibly as I don't rate any of the Boutique beers highly or any of the imports. If you need to put lemon or lime in it it ain't beer.:D

It should also be noted I drink Scotch as a rule...beer is an occasional thing.

1: Cascade Premium
2: Stella Artois
3: Boag's Premium
4: Cooper's Pale Ale
5: Little Creatures

I'm a big fan of Redbacks as well, but I don't ever get the chance to drink it, really.

Matter of taste I suppose.

I love the stuff and order it from WA regularly.
I spent a few years in Kalgoorlie and I suppose it was a choice between Emu and Swan (blech) and I got a taste for it.

I'm a bit old school possibly as I don't rate any of the Boutique beers highly or any of the imports. If you need to put lemon or lime in it it ain't beer.:D

It should also be noted I drink Scotch as a rule...beer is an occasional thing.

Fair enough, it's all very subjective. Totally agree on the lemon/lime thing.

My 'sessional' top 5 local beers:

1. Coopers Sparkling
2. Little Creatures Pale
3. James Squires Golden Ale
4. Mountain Goat Hightail Ale.
5. Red Hill Golden Ale.

I'm not very adventurous I have to admit, but do like something bitter.

I'd have to say 1/. little creatures pale ale 2/. Cooper's pale ale 3/. beez nees 4/. Cooper's red 5/. Melbourne Bitter

I used to drink VB religously, that is with a priest collar and bible (boom boom) but they started tasting sweet and shit so I rarely touch it now.

Has to have some after-taste and bitterness. Might have to try some of these others - what's closest to a Little Creatures and Coopers in tatse?

Be warned I love ales! So they dominate my favourites

1. James Squire - Amber Ale - Yum, great rich taste. Probably not best drunk in large amounts.

2. Coopers - Pale ale - Much more of a standard drinking beer, especially ice cold and in summer. Doesn't attract the high price of some of the more boutique beer, hence one of my favourite 'drinking' beers.

3. Coopers - Draught, My Home Brew - Nothing more satisfying than drinking beer you've made yourself. Available in large quantities at about 30c a bottle, clean taste and great ice cold.

4. Razorback - Red Ale (Snowy Mountain Breweries) - Yep another ale. Got a wicked taste to it, really fruity and hopsy. Definitely too flavoured a beer to drink in large amounts again as the flavour washes out a bit after you've knocked some back.

5. The Kilkenny of Old - I used to love this beer. My local served it and it was beautiful, thick creamy head and a creamy rich beer with that slightly honeyed taste. For what ever reason it stopped being like that and became quite watery, which ruined it and I moved on to guniess. But still, if you can find is tapped, stored and poured well, this one is a gem.

1. Pikes are awesome brewery. If you have a mate's birthday coming up, buy 'em a dozen of these and share them on a good evening.

2. Old Speckled Hen is worth a mention. Drink it closer to room temparature (i.e. 19-20) and its full flavour comes to the fore. Not everyone's fave but once you've got the knack for it you're set for life.

3. Coopers Pale Ale for reasons mentioned above. It's cheap. It's good. It's very drinkable and you can get it nearly anywhere. Life's too short to drink crap beer, so this is the 'baseline' beer nowadays.

4. Red Duck - Pale, Amber or Porter are all good, but the Amber is particularly awesome. Local mob from Camperdown who really got the whole microbrewing thing right. Hard to find, but here's a start:- http://www.redduckbeer.com.au/outlets.htm

5. Moo brew. Yeah, it's a bit wanky and high-class, but it's also a damn fine drop. Enjoy by yourself when you get a night to watch Collingwood flog someone - there's one for each quarter in a pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've noticed that the new Costco in Melbourne sells beer. Any one know if they're any good and have an idea of the price?

Meanwhile, loving this thread. I'm coming back here to look at this list when I'm in the mood for something different.
The new Costco is 2 mins from my work, ill guess that its beer will be cheap and could be contracted to just that compny similar to Aldi hence the low price.
Ill try and find out what it is and how much.

Thanks Sheriff, Pongo et al. Will try one of these, maybe a sampler or two Thursday night and a six pack on Saturday.

Of the commercial English brown Ales, I actually found the Newcastle Ale to be particularly nice.

Spent some time in Newcastle a few years ago, and got addicted to it, so whenever I see it at my local bottle shop I pick up a 6 pack.

On a bad note, tried some Japanese "rice" Beer recently, an experience I won't be repeating.:eek:

1. Pikes are awesome brewery. If you have a mate's birthday coming up, buy 'em a dozen of these and share them on a good evening.

2. Old Speckled Hen is worth a mention. Drink it closer to room temparature (i.e. 19-20) and its full flavour comes to the fore. Not everyone's fave but once you've got the knack for it you're set for life.

3. Coopers Pale Ale for reasons mentioned above. It's cheap. It's good. It's very drinkable and you can get it nearly anywhere. Life's too short to drink crap beer, so this is the 'baseline' beer nowadays.

4. Red Duck - Pale, Amber or Porter are all good, but the Amber is particularly awesome. Local mob from Camperdown who really got the whole microbrewing thing right. Hard to find, but here's a start:- http://www.redduckbeer.com.au/outlets.htm

5. Moo brew. Yeah, it's a bit wanky and high-class, but it's also a damn fine drop. Enjoy by yourself when you get a night to watch Collingwood flog someone - there's one for each quarter in a pack.

Used to live down the road from the brewery in england. They had a great drop called abbots ale. The locals called it "falling down water"

:):thumbsu:Dogfish Head makes "Fort" for $16 per bottle which contains 18.5% alcohol by volume. Copy and pasted that from a website. Love this stuff! Expensive, so I dont buy to many, but my boss buys them all the time. Good way to break up the day at work. An experience worth trying once.

Goodness Pie eyed never thought I would see the day another expressed interest in Emu Bitter. After many years as Manager in the Swan Breweries group of hotels I was quite partial to a drop of the same.

so cheers all have a beer
thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx

Shame the brewery is now owned by Lion Nathan ..........
the good old days when Bondy owned it !!!!..... Very heady...

Remove this Banner Ad

Favorite Beers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back