Favourite cricketing moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Last Adelaide Ashes Test - Warney pretty much dragged us to Victory by sheer force of will.

Good on England for scoring 72 runs off 54 overs. What a ****ing joke!!!:D

Some others:

- Langer and Gilly at Bellerive in 1999 against the Pakis. 180 to win, 5 down going into the last day. Alfie got out with 6 runs to get and Gilly was there when the runs were got.

- Wayne Holdsworth getting 49 off about 12 balls for NSW, and also the look on his face when he was not out on 49 at the end of the innings, missing out on his first 50.

- Tasmania's Pura Cup win last year, and Queensland's in 1994/95 (was at both - happy days)

- all of the many beer soaked days on the old Gabba hill.

a new one

at the change of ends for the 49th over in today's match, australia with the game well in hand, on the bushfire appeal match.

the PA at adelaide oval sounded out Waltzing Matilda

it was a stirring moment

A couple more from a generation or two ago:

Boxing Day Test, 1981, day 1 - on an unspectacular Melbourne pitch, Australia rolled for 198, with only Kim Hughes (100*) offering much. After Alderman gets rid of Bacchus, DK Lillee rips through Desmond Haynes, nightwatchman Colin Croft, and with the last ball of the day, bowling IVA Richards, to leave the West Indies at 4/10 at stumps. The next day he went on to break the record for most test wickets. The noise at the G that night was something else.

Boxing Day Test, 1982 - Border and Thomson need 74 for the last wicket for the win, and get 70 of them. Border coming off a significant slump, Thommo a number 11 for a good reason. So close, yet so far - with Channel 9 all but missing the final dismissal.

Here's mine - limiting to only what I've seen live;

1) Tendulkar's 114 vs Australia in 1991/92
2) Curtly's 7/1 spell.
3) Adam Gilchrist and Matt Hayden both scoring 100 or more in the Lunch > Tea session vs Zimbabwe in 2003/04.
4) Geoff Marsh's 355* vs SA in 1989/90
5) Damien Martyn scoring about 80 consecutive runs only in boundaries. WA vs Tas, 1992/93

B.Julian cutting lose in the Shield Final back in about 94. Coming in at 8 he scored a hundred in about 70 balls and cut i think South Australia to pieces.

that was in 98 against tassie and it was one hell of a knock. he absolutely pasted the tassie boys all over the park. ryan cambel set up the innings and marty contributed well and big tom moody scored a ton as well

that was in 98 against tassie and it was one hell of a knock. he absolutely pasted the tassie boys all over the park. ryan cambel set up the innings and marty contributed well and big tom moody scored a ton as well

Did something similar (without getting a ton) against QLD the next year to help us win.

Similarly, speaking of which... .

Tom Moody - Sheffield Shield Finals;

1986/87 - 97
1987/88 - Did not play
1988/89 - 162 & 155*, 1/23
1991/92 - 78 & 1, 0/33 & 1/19
1995/96 - 68 & 72, 0/45 & 0/24 (drawn match. SA wins Shield)
1996/97 - 23 & 152, 4/75 & 4/76 (in a loss)
1997/98 - 125 & 1*, 1/80 & 1/68
1998/99 - 41, 2/54 & 3/36

975 runs @ 97.5 avg
16 wickets @ 33.31 avg

That's clutch for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did something similar (without getting a ton) against QLD the next year to help us win.

Similarly, speaking of which... .

Tom Moody - Sheffield Shield Finals;

1986/87 - 97
1987/88 - Did not play
1988/89 - 162 & 155*, 1/23
1991/92 - 78 & 1, 0/33 & 1/19
1995/96 - 68 & 72, 0/45 & 0/24 (drawn match. SA wins Shield)
1996/97 - 23 & 152, 4/75 & 4/76 (in a loss)
1997/98 - 125 & 1*, 1/80 & 1/68
1998/99 - 41, 2/54 & 3/36

975 runs @ 97.5 avg
16 wickets @ 33.31 avg

That's clutch for you.

yeah the big bean pole alway come through for the sandgropers in the big game. that 156 nearly saved the game for the wariors in 97. 98 was their best team nearly ever imo. thats just my opinion. in the games i saw on tv of them. you just knew they were going to win it all. everyone performed throughout the year. their best win outside of that final. would have been the last minute win against tassie in tassie

yeah the big bean pole alway come through for the sandgropers in the big game. that 156 nearly saved the game for the wariors in 97. 98 was their best team nearly ever imo. thats just my opinion. in the games i saw on tv of them. you just knew they were going to win it all. everyone performed throughout the year. their best win outside of that final. would have been the last minute win against tassie in tassie

Our 1998 team;

Mike Hussey
Ryan Campbell
Justin Langer
Damien Martyn
Tom Moody
Simon Katich
Adam Gilchrist
Brendon Julian
Jo Angel
Mark Atkinson
Brad Oldroyd

Notable that Brad Hogg couldn't get a game.

I was going to make a new thread but found this one.

We need some cheering up after another debacle.

Do any new posters have anything to add to this discussion?

I would have loved to have seen Border's gutsy innings' against the Windies.

Personally, my favourites from what I've seen were the 2003 WC Final; 2006/07 Ashes; 2008 Sydney Test; Shane Warne's performances against Pakistan in 2002; and 2004 Indian series.

The Ashes last summer was brilliant. England played exactly like we used to when we had a dominant side. It showed that hard work pays off and cricket goes in cycles.

Really? I thought it was pretty boring. We were just thoroughly outprepared, outplanned, outpatienced, outskilled and outplayed. Was an absolute shambles and as well as they played, was just dull seeing Trott and Cook absolutely grind Australia into the dirt.

Australia A Matches

I was watching a replay of a classic on foxsports

the "very talented" Australia A Team consisting of Ponting, Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Blewett, against the then current stubborn Australian team holding onto past achievements

I couldnt believe the standard of cricket in those matches, and also how Glenn Mcgrath shoved Matthew Hayden in a bit of argy bargy (yes it did happen!) :eek: and how only half the batsmen wore helmets when batting

Everyone was supporting Australia A because of the youthful 'fresh blood' appeal of the team

Except Phil Emery :mad:

I expect to be crucified for this but I'll say it anyway. I've never understood the fascination with Steve Waugh's hundred in the 2003(?) Sydney test.

Context: dead rubber, did not influence the series, did not actually influence the match. In fact we actually lost the match from memory.

If it was simply a case of an old warhorse defying form and carving out a century which gave him one more year* in test cricket in which he was able to plunder some runs against a hapless Windies, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh before turing an important series against India into a retirement circus and not regaining the B-G Trophy, before retiring for good, then that's nice and everything, but I struggle to see it as anything more than a fine sentimental moment in history.

*Which came at the expense of grooming a youngster against mediocre oppostion at a time the team was crying out for rejuvenation.

Totally agree. Well said. I've nothing but admiration for Steve Waugh's mental strength, and his skill to recognise his faults early on in his career and adjust them to become a successful test batsmen was magnificent.

But as a batsman, not even in the same breath as Ponting or Greg Chappell. Mark had the talent but not the consistent application.

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite cricketing moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back