Films that have aged because of bad behaviour

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Based on a viral post that went along the lines of "Just woke up from a decade long coma. About to watch my favourite film Get Him To The Greek. I hope it holds up." What's a film that's become particularly uncomfortable to watch despite being fairly innocuous on its release. Looking for something more than just a movie with a controversial actor in (i.e. Johhny Depp, though if there's a film where he plays an abusive wife beater, that would qualify).

Austin Powers series which I thoroughly have enjoyed would be questioned today by some, to me it's still fun and I'd happily lazily watch it, though I recognise it probably wouldn't get made these days.

I barely remember them but I've also been told Ace Ventura.

Also, I reckon some of the early Bond/007 movies would have some female/male cliches that would be frowned on

This film was a turkey in the 80s and looks even worse now.

MV5BNzNjMzM0YTAtNDE0MS00OGJlLTlkN2QtMzJkYjhjNTYyNTkzL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE5MjUyOTM@._V1_.jpg

It terms of films that have done the opposite Freddy got fingered is more relevant today that it has ever been

Ahead of its time at release

I couldn't see any studio agreeing to make a film like Freddy Got Fingered today. It upset the left-wing, politically correct do-gooders enough upon its 2001 release, but given that the current left-wing woke SJW types of today seem to lack any appreciation of comedy and make their early 2000s counterparts look like members of the Young Conservatives, well you can see the problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on American Beauty?

I've not heard of Kevin Spacey misbehaving on the set of that movie, which included several young actors. But from a couple of reports it seems his idea of consent was to touch someone sexually and he would stop if they didn't like it. There could clearly be a power dynamic going on there. It's been one of my favourite movies but I can't help but view it in a different light after his personal habits have been revealed.

'triumph of the will' seems like the obvious answer, though outside of germany it wouldn't have been seen as innocuous.

doesn't quite fit the rules but just wanted an excuse to post the ghost dad trailer

backroads. bill hunter and gary foley. there's a sympathetic eye to the treatment of some characters but it's the type of film people want to forget existed because of what it depicts.
probably not innocuous on its release either come to think of it.

edit: goof

Last edited:
A
Thoughts on American Beauty?

I've not heard of Kevin Spacey misbehaving on the set of that movie, which included several young actors. But from a couple of reports it seems his idea of consent was to touch someone sexually and he would stop if they didn't like it. There could clearly be a power dynamic going on there. It's been one of my favourite movies but I can't help but view it in a different light after his personal habits have been revealed.
Love this movie. I haven't watched it for yesrs though. It is ironic that Spacey plays a character who resists the advances of his neighbour who thinks he is homosexual and gets shot for it.

A

Love this movie. I haven't watched it for yesrs though. It is ironic that Spacey plays a character who resists the advances of his neighbour who thinks he is homosexual and gets shot for it.
This was exactly the kind of example I was thinking of when I created this thread, not films that simply have actors in them who committed bad deeds in the future or films where the comedy has aged out, but a film that was not particularly controversial on release and not necessarily controversial now, except for an awkwardness caused by the subject matter and controversial actor being inextricably linked (i.e. Russell Brand's sex pest in Get Him to the Greek).

I try to watch Goldfinger every 10 years to see it get more and more mysogynistic...

A lot of the Bond/Connery movies are problematic. From Russia with Love is my favourite 007 movie but always felt incredibly uncomfortable with Bond slapping his hysterical female companion on the train hard.

Mind Ian Fleming's novels are even worse (so much racism and homophobia)

This was exactly the kind of example I was thinking of when I created this thread, not films that simply have actors in them who committed bad deeds in the future or films where the comedy has aged out, but a film that was not particularly controversial on release and not necessarily controversial now, except for an awkwardness caused by the subject matter and controversial actor being inextricably linked (i.e. Russell Brand's sex pest in Get Him to the Greek).
Isn't Russell Brand a sex pest in pretty much every movie role? Forgetting Sarah Marshall, GHTTG..

Isn't Russell Brand a sex pest in pretty much every movie role? Forgetting Sarah Marshall, GHTTG..
Get Him to the Greek is essentially a spin-off of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. So yeah, he usually played a sex pest for laughs and now it turns out he's a sex pest for reals. Does make it a little more awkward to laugh at the innuendo.

My first thought was Blazing Saddles

Watched the Gene Wilder doco last night and it had clips of it and even cut the N stuff out. Personally I think it was never used racially but as an afront to racism as a mirror to it - but I recognise its green lighting wont happen today

I felt uncomfortable with Django Unchained yet was told it was '' realistic'' for its period portrayal

A lot of the 80s sex comedys would be passed over even though I enjoyed the hell out of them ie Porlys etc

Fort Apache The Bronx would be an interesting one to rewatch to see if it holds

Wanderers and Warriors might need editing in places - though Warriors does stand apart as a multi-racial story that works using co-operation between all members

It terms of films that have done the opposite Freddy got fingered is more relevant today that it has ever been

Ahead of its time at release

Another film that feels that way to me is Falling Down. More & more the pressures experienced by Duvall & Dfens are true today, and we see many people worn down by the world in a similar manner, even snapping, or I guess being into opioids in situations like these.

Austin Powers series which I thoroughly have enjoyed would be questioned today by some, to me it's still fun and I'd happily lazily watch it, though I recognise it probably wouldn't get made these days.

I barely remember them but I've also been told Ace Ventura.

Also, I reckon some of the early Bond/007 movies would have some female/male cliches that would be frowned on

Austin Powers might be able to get away with it by being mostly a satire & even playing on how everything is essentially meant to send up the silly nature of older films.

Remove this Banner Ad

Films that have aged because of bad behaviour

Remove this Banner Ad

Back