Final 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will it change much? IMO it won't a lot but Freo and Saints and the Dogs to a lesser extent all have been struggling and are clearly not at their best and injuries have hit STK and the Dogs. STK have a tough few games ahead which could cause them to drop out temporarily.

If these 2 or 3 teams drop, who can make it in thier place?

I think it would be out of Richmond/Brisbane/Port (doubt it though, have beat Carlton + Bombers past fortnight)...Cats are gone IMO.

Richmond are playing good football and should have beat Freo. While the Tiges next 2 weeks are Hawks and Roos. Lions have Crows and should lose.

What are your thoughts...no bagging clubs, just honest thoughts on who you think can come into the 8 and who may drop out?

St.Kilda and Geelong will make it.

I still reckon Geelong will make it, ahead of Freo. Tigers also to narrowly miss. Lions and Power will look good at times, people will proclaim they're back, and then they will fall away again.

Lowie01 said:
I still reckon Geelong will make it, ahead of Freo. Tigers also to narrowly miss. Lions and Power will look good at times, people will proclaim they're back, and then they will fall away again.

Geelong would need to win 8 out of their last 12 to make it.

When you put it like that it looks almost impossible.

DST
:D

mdunn27 said:
Ill be predicting the teams to not change, just the positions

2 teams (Brisbane, Geelong) to miss by %. Port and Richmond a game out

Saints scrape in
You are kidding, Geelong to win more than more game. How do you figure Geelong to make the 8? I would say the 8 is settled.

DST said:

DST
depends on other results

but ATM geelong are 3 games behind the doggies, melbourne & freo. 2 behind the saints & tigers.

so for the cats to make it, they have to win 3 more games then 1 of those 4 sides in the remaining twelve games and they will sneak into the 8.

not impossible considering the injuries to the dogs, saints and fickle form that freo still show

DST said:

DST

If Geelong can beat Essendon next weekend, they'll be one win less than St Kilda at the same stage last year, and the Saints still made top 4. Obviously it's not very likely with the form they're in though, but it can be done.

tima said:
If Geelong can beat Essendon next weekend, they'll be one win less than St Kilda at the same stage last year, and the Saints still made top 4. Obviously it's not very likely with the form they're in though, but it can be done.
The Saints had many more injuries in '05 than the Cats in '06. That was the catalyst for the improvement late in the season, and ironically, was our downfall at the end of the year.

The similiarities between this year and last year are similar. We'll be 5-6 after this round which was what we were this time last year, however losing to the Swans will be a deadly loss because it will deny us a top 4 spot basically - 3 games are pretty hard to recoup unless Sydney or the Pies fall away (which I can't see happening).

As for the final 8, after about 4 rounds I wrote off Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn, Brisbane, Port and Richmond and said Melbourne and the Roos would be lucky to make it. Things changed a fair bit, and Melbourne are now safe. Their loss to Carlton looks all the more baffling at this stage of the season.

I'd have to say Geelong are gone but they are the best chance of any team in the bottom 8 to break in, most likely at the expense of Freo. Richmond are the next best chance but I thikn they'll fall away despite their good draw. I'm prepared to write off all the other sides in the bottom 8.

In the end none of it matters because Adelaide have won the flag.

i see the top 8 being

Adelaide
Collingwood
West Coast
Sydney
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Brisbane
Fremantle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tima said:

They'll also be on the same number of wins that Collingwood and Essendon were at the same stage last year, and look where they ended up.

Worth also bearing in mind that the next two games after Essendon are Freo at Subi and Adelaide at AAMI. Both currently top 8 sides, and with Geelong's ugly travel record, that spells G-O-N-E.

johnnyhoward said:
I'd have to say Geelong are gone but they are the best chance of any team in the bottom 8 to break in, most likely at the expense of Freo. Richmond are the next best chance but I thikn they'll fall away despite their good draw.

Please ensure correct spelling in the future. It's so uncivilized.

Total Power said:
We wont make the finaks, St Kilda will though.

Ditto Richmond, we wont make it either. For us to get there we virtually have to win 12 and as good as we have been over the last 3 weeks... it aint gonna happen.

Would be really happy if we won 10 again, particularly with our young list. Honestly, l dont think anyone would've predicted Richmond to have 20 wins / 24 losses two years after winning the spoon.

Geelong wont make it. Freo will... and thats not because they're any good, but because all the teams around them are falling over.

Brisbane are certainties to make it, but they wont have any impact in September.

Just my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Final 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back