Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

To the outside observer - who is not in any way connected to the machinations of the club's working - it certainly appears that Fin has had a clear development plan laid out for him and that the coaching staff have a plan to use him. If there were any doubt about his future at the club I'm almost certain that Fin would have sought a future elsewhere.
On that basis, I expect to see Fin get AFL opportunity this year and I suspect that he has done what is required to ensure his will not be readily displaced once embedded in the team.

It's because we are still in practice match mode. I will wait for the season proper before I get on board. No tackles is a big problem and when he played AFL last, all he did was tackle but couldn't get the pill. I also can't see who he replaces in the midfield. I think Sullivan is a better option atm because he is way more versitlie and looks a ready replacement for guys like Mitchel. In the time fin was on, Martin, Taranto and Prestia were running around doing as they please, stats rarely tell the story
Sorry but this is so weird. You can’t really be blaming Fin for 3 top line mids doing well while our best mids rested on the bench, can you? I mean, are you saying that he has to immediately be running riot or he’s no good?
You can’t see who he replaces in the midfield? Kid came on and got more clearances than anyone in his limited time on ground and you can’t think of an ageing clearance player they could be grooming him to replace?

I mean, yeah I’ll give you the tackles, but it’s not like he didn’t tackle at all, he just wasn’t awarded a stat for an effective tackle. As you said, sometimes stats don’t tell the whole story.

He’s been given an opportunity at the highest level available currently, performed well in that limited opportunity and you’ve said he’s been found out. I’m honestly baffled at this, it just feels like you’re playing favourites here.

Sorry but this is so weird. You can’t really be blaming Fin for 3 top line mids doing well while our best mids rested on the bench, can you? I mean, are you saying that he has to immediately be running riot or he’s no good?
You can’t see who he replaces in the midfield? Kid came on and got more clearances than anyone in his limited time on ground and you can’t think of an ageing clearance player they could be grooming him to replace?

I mean, yeah I’ll give you the tackles, but it’s not like he didn’t tackle at all, he just wasn’t awarded a stat for an effective tackle. As you said, sometimes stats don’t tell the whole story.

He’s been given an opportunity at the highest level available currently, performed well in that limited opportunity and you’ve said he’s been found out. I’m honestly baffled at this, it just feels like you’re playing favourites here.
Agreed. And I think Jen2310 posted somewhere the many players who didn't lay a tackle last night.

I should clarify that I think fin needs 5 or 6 games in a row before we can know if he's any good. The other question is who does he replace in the midfield. He needs injuries to happen to get his chance. Pre season form should always be taken with a grain of salt. He's going to have to be exceptional when he gets his chance and let's be honest. We have no idea how he's going to perform in the AFL. I can see Sullivan getting first crack because he already has a well rounded game. I'm not writing off fin but let's not be fooled by pre season form

I should clarify that I think fin needs 5 or 6 games in a row before we can know if he's any good. The other question is who does he replace in the midfield. He needs injuries to happen to get his chance. Pre season form should always be taken with a grain of salt. He's going to have to be exceptional when he gets his chance and let's be honest. We have no idea how he's going to perform in the AFL. I can see Sullivan getting first crack because he already has a well rounded game. I'm not writing off fin but let's not be fooled by pre season form
Sullivan is clearly not getting first crack. If he was then he’d have been a part of the squad that played last night.

Did he mention any others?
Noble.
Charlie dean both putting their hand up saying I'm here ready he mentioned (and others he said)
Then goes "Fin Macrae is another."

Said they need to keep moving and keep growing. That change is unevitable.

Adams leaving clears a path into the 22 for Macrae. His preseason form puts him in a good position to take it. Long term there is a need to regenerate the midfield. The stars align. Now he needs to go prove it at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's shown quite a bit of improvement but so far it's been rather sporadic IMO.

The only way we'd all agree he belongs if he was to perform at above average level for the duration of the whole proper game.

Can you please explain in what way he was found out?
In 36% game time he had 10 disposals (6 contested), 4 clearances, 6 inside 50’s and 2 score involvements. Probably the only knock on his game I can think of was that he didn’t lay any effective tackles, so I’m genuinely curious as to how you’ve come to this conclusion…
On the stats alone, he wasn't tackling because he had the ball.

He has a point though. With Pendles and Howe coming back in who makes way? I think it’s probably going to be a toss up between Fin and Reef for that sub spot at this point, despite both of them performing well in their limited game time.
At whose expense? From the GF gut feel is it’s AJ for Murphy with Frampton rolling back and Shoota for Ginnivan. Unless we pick up an injury or I’m missing something I don’t see a spot for either in opening round.

For fans of the two that’s not the worst outcome because I’d rather they’re in the 22 and I think whoever gets the nod between AJ or Reef is on a hiding to nothing v Buckley/ Taylor.

Seems strange to only give him 30% gametime in the final practice match if he was gonna play round 1
That’s just modern football. There’s only one actual practice match these days as well as a match sim which is little more than a joint training run with another club.

Reckon he’s still in their sights for selection, even if it’s as the sub. If not round 0 then very soon but I get the impression the club has very open eyes about the need to give next gen players senior games sooner rather than later, and Finn is at the top of that list along with one of aj and Reef. Dean too for that matter

That’s just modern football. There’s only one actual practice match these days as well as a match sim which is little more than a joint training run with another club.

Reckon he’s still in their sights for selection, even if it’s as the sub. If not round 0 then very soon but I get the impression the club has very open eyes about the need to give next gen players senior games sooner rather than later, and Finn is at the top of that list along with one of aj and Reef. Dean too for that matter
Agreed. The club needs to start blooding the young fellas - manage that well and it is more likely to be a seemless transition when the likes of Sidey, Howey and Pendles retire (if Pendles ever does!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back