Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Or, no one wanted him. Probably more likely than a conspiracy where the club is holding him against his mental health will.

Disagree. He is a 197cm key defender taken at pick 6 and has only played 3 seasons.

All Melbourne clubs would give him a list spot and trade for him if it was for peanuts.

Disagree. He is a 197cm key defender taken at pick 6 and has only played 3 seasons.

All Melbourne clubs would give him a list spot and trade for him if it was for peanuts.
Doubt it very much, it doesn’t matter where he was drafted, they’ve seen his exposed form at SANFL level and his physical liabilities.

His mental health battles wouldn’t be new to the club, they wouldn’t hold him if there was a club willing to take him and it also freed up a list spot.

Doubt it very much, it doesn’t matter where he was drafted, they’ve seen his exposed form at SANFL level and his physical liabilities.

His mental health battles wouldn’t be new to the club, they wouldn’t hold him if there was a club willing to take him and it also freed up a list spot.

Sam Durdin is now entering his 8th year on an AFL list.

Josh Schace is on his 3rd club and entering his 8th year on an AFL list.

Jimmy Toumpas made it 5 seasons. Daniel Gorringe lasted 6 seasons across 2 clubs.

Doesn't matter what his SANFL form is. A victorian club is going to go - we have a 21 year old 197cm key defender that has 4 preseasons in an AFL system. His junior footy was good enough to be a top 10 draft pick. He has public mental health battles, so if a move home can help that we have a gem.

The AFL talent pool is tiny. He will be on an AFL list if he wants to be for at least another 2 years.

Sam Durdin is now entering his 8th year on an AFL list.

Josh Schace is on his 3rd club and entering his 8th year on an AFL list.

Jimmy Toumpas made it 5 seasons. Daniel Gorringe lasted 6 seasons across 2 clubs.

Doesn't matter what his SANFL form is. A victorian club is going to go - we have a 21 year old 197cm key defender that has 4 preseasons in an AFL system. His junior footy was good enough to be a top 10 draft pick. He has public mental health battles, so if a move home can help that we have a gem.

The AFL talent pool is tiny. He will be on an AFL list if he wants to be for at least another 2 years.
So you want me to now run through high draft picks that aren’t on lists?

The facts are we know he wanted to go home.

His mental health issues were known to the club and I’d put money he’s gone after Xmas and the club would know this. We would not be holding out for a better pick when there are mental health issues at play and we are about to lose him for nothing anyway.

Plus we were tight on list spots.

And yes it does matter what his football form was like. We aren’t talking about playing well in the SANFL and struggling to break into the team, we are talking about struggling to beat and keep up with SANFL defenders after the club gave up on him making it as a defender in his own right.

Bottom line is he didn’t end up at a Vic club despite you stating he’d be in demand, strange that.

So you want me to now run through high draft picks that aren’t on lists?

Well yeah that would be good. But would love the list to be of KPP/Ruckman. It's widely acknowledged that they take time to develop.

I had a quick look. Didn't really find any KPP top 25 draft picks that were on a list for less than 5 years or didn't get a 2nd chance.

The facts are we know he wanted to go home.

His mental health issues were known to the club and I’d put money he’s gone after Xmas and the club would know this. We would not be holding out for a better pick when there are mental health issues at play and we are about to lose him for nothing anyway.

Whats the better PR for the club. Trade away a former #6 draft pick to a victorian club for a crappy pick that we likely wouldn't use or leave him on the list?

Its much much better optics for the club if he 'retires', needs time away for mental health issues, etc.

Plus we were tight on list spots.

And yes it does matter what his football form was like. We aren’t talking about playing well in the SANFL and struggling to break into the team, we are talking about struggling to beat and keep up with SANFL defenders after the club gave up on him making it as a defender in his own right.

Bottom line is he didn’t end up at a Vic club despite you stating he’d be in demand, strange that.

Not strange at all.

I am not claiming teams are lining up to give away draft picks to secure McAsey. I am saying all Melbourne teams would take a chance on him if the price was right (free or a late pick).

Do you think there is really a benefit in losing McAsey for a late round pick? Give me McAsey.

There were reasonably early first round picks who had shown more than McAsey (like Stocker and RCD) who were delisted and no one took them, and there were high picks like Paddy Dow who couldn't find a new club.

List spots were tight. No club was willing to use one on McAsey.

There were reasonably early first round picks who had shown more than McAsey (like Stocker and RCD) who were delisted and no one took them, and there were high picks like Paddy Dow who couldn't find a new club.

List spots were tight. No club was willing to use one on McAsey.

Paddy Dow had 5 seasons before he was delisted. McAsey has only had 3.

Stocker was pick 18, RCD pick 19 and they were both midfielders. We did the same with Gooch. Much easier to let go of late 1st round midfielders than top 10 KPP after 3 seasons.

Well yeah that would be good. But would love the list to be of KPP/Ruckman. It's widely acknowledged that they take time to develop.

I had a quick look. Didn't really find any KPP top 25 draft picks that were on a list for less than 5 years or didn't get a 2nd chance.

Whats the better PR for the club. Trade away a former #6 draft pick to a victorian club for a crappy pick that we likely wouldn't use or leave him on the list?

Its much much better optics for the club if he 'retires', needs time away for mental health issues, etc.

Not strange at all.

I am not claiming teams are lining up to give away draft picks to secure McAsey. I am saying all Melbourne teams would take a chance on him if the price was right (free or a late pick).

Do you think there is really a benefit in losing McAsey for a late round pick? Give me McAsey.
So you think we are treating McAsey as a PR exercise? They could easily justify trading him for a low pick if they said it’s for his mental health and we needed a list spot, much better outcome than getting nothing for him. Strange opinion.

What you don’t get is we don’t have McAsey, he’s not at the club. Early New Year the announcement will come.

But you can’t have your cake and eat it, he’s a young KPD high draft pick that take time apparently, if someone wanted him they would have given us a pick around the 50 to make it happen and we would have taken it. We’ve just swapped picks from next year to take players this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think we are treating McAsey as a PR exercise? They could easily justify trading him for a low pick if they said it’s for his mental health and we needed a list spot, much better outcome than getting nothing for him. Strange opinion.

You don't think AFL clubs worry about PR? You think it looks good if the club trades away pick 6 after only 3 years - after all the talent we have lost over the past 5 years?

What you don’t get is we don’t have McAsey, he’s not at the club. Early New Year the announcement will come.

We do have McAsey. He is contracted until the end of the 2023 season.

He may retire, he may take personal leave, but he is a contracted player.

But you can’t have your cake and eat it, he’s a young KPD high draft pick that take time apparently, if someone wanted him they would have given us a pick around the 50 to make it happen and we would have taken it. We’ve just swapped picks from next year to take players this year.

I don't think we would have taken pick 50.

1. Pick 50 aint valuable.
2. It would look terrible trading away a pick 6 KPP for such a shitty return.

Correct. You don't lose on an investment until you sell it.

If you purchase 1000 shares at $5, then they drop to $0.01, do you sell and say "at least I got $10", or do you ride it out and risk the $10 for the chance the price might increase again?

Paddy Dow had 5 seasons before he was delisted. McAsey has only had 3.

Stocker was pick 18, RCD pick 19 and they were both midfielders. We did the same with Gooch. Much easier to let go of late 1st round midfielders than top 10 KPP after 3 seasons.

Paddy Dow wasn't delisted, and has played 50 games, plus has been very successful at VFL level.

McAsey hasn't shown anything at any level, sadly. We need to take care of his health, but sides that don't owe him anything aren't going to waste a list spot on him.

You don't think AFL clubs worry about PR? You think it looks good if the club trades away pick 6 after only 3 years - after all the talent we have lost over the past 5 years?

We do have McAsey. He is contracted until the end of the 2023 season.

He may retire, he may take personal leave, but he is a contracted player.

Clubs do look at PR but wouldn’t in this case and your argument doesn’t stack up anyway. It’s still a PR exercise if we trade him for say 50 for mental health reasons and needing a list spot. No we lose him for mental health and nothing.

He’s a contracted player on paper, he’s not even in the State and will be gone in January. Your in denial if you still think we have him.

We made 2 trades to allow us to pick up players in that range. We would have taken it and created a much needed list spot

If you purchase 1000 shares at $5, then they drop to $0.01, do you sell and say "at least I got $10", or do you ride it out and risk the $10 for the chance the price might increase again?
Silly analogy. The club knows he’s gone and we will get nothing.

We traded twice to pick up players this year which we could have used that pick for and kept next years picks.

You could see from the interviews with McAsey that his management were trying to find him a new home.

Obviously there was no interest.

We would have traded him for whatever was there, if only so that we had a list spot. And we would have said it was for his mental health and all of the PR would have been about how we're a good club for doing so.

But no one wanted him. It's sad, but it's just the truth.

Silly analogy. The club knows he’s gone and we will get nothing.

We traded twice to pick up players this year which we could have used that pick for and kept next years picks.
Really? Got a source for this?

GC wouldn't have accepted a pick this year, so maybe we kept Geelong's 3rd next year? What, a pick in the early 50s? That's the same value as what we'd have got for Fish this year, plus would probably have had to pay some of his salary.

1671577111702.png

Clubs do look at PR but wouldn’t in this case and your argument doesn’t stack up anyway. It’s still a PR exercise if we trade him for say 50 for mental health reasons and needing a list spot. No we lose him for mental health and nothing.

He’s a contracted player on paper, he’s not even in the State and will be gone in January. Your in denial if you still think we have him.

We trade him - Another AFL team acknowledges he is an AFL caliber player, he signals his intent to keep playing football. We get a pick 50 for him - massive loss.

We keep him on paper and he retires. its sad and we understand, its regrettable we wish him all the best did all we could to support yada yada yada.

And I am not thinking he comes back. Nor do I think that he will be a good footballer.

A pick in the 50's aint worth anything.

That's half the equation. The other side is the list position which he's occupying, which could be filled by someone who wants to play AFL football.

You could see from the interviews with McAsey that his management were trying to find him a new home.

Obviously there was no interest.

We would have traded him for whatever was there, if only so that we had a list spot. And we would have said it was for his mental health and all of the PR would have been about how we're a good club for doing so.

But no one wanted him. It's sad, but it's just the truth.

Just because a deal didn't get done, doesn't mean that there was no interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Back