VFL Footscray vs Tigers R3 @ Punt Road Sat 9th 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus Christ! what a horrible match to watch. We just handed it to them time after time after time. Usually you win matches convincingly when you're...

+25 contested possessions
+9 clearances

But not when you just kick it straight to them or let them out that easily...

Scores Sourced From D50
WB: 3.1 (19)
RI: 8.4 (52)

All of our top up players seem the same height - 180 cm, none of whom can take a mark in a contest.
Garcia was our best by the length of the Flemington straight. Unfortunately, many of his disposals don't hurt the opposition. Improve in this area and he would be a 1st 23 regular.
Martin battled very hard all day in the absence of Sweet but I think Tim might be doing it all on his own this season.
The rest of the listed players were OK but none demanded promotion.
West not so prominent this week mainly because the forward line is so poor he has to spend much of his time as our go-to forward.
Buku was reasonable but was shifted forward out of desperation.
Bedendo and Sweet both injured early, hopefully nothing serious.

Not sure what the stats say but the eye test tells me that Crozier was good. Garcia got a lot of it but butchered it pretty regularly. Khamis not bad again and showed he could make a contest in the ruck which will be a big tick in Bevo's eyes. Martin good early but Soldo beat him on the day. Raak moved well but didn't see enough of him. West was solid. Jones OK when he had it but that wasn't often.

Bedendo off at QT, Sweet off before I even started watching. Hardly saw Parker at all. Schache looks good at the level but overall our defence wasn't great. Roarke fairly quiet, considering he's playing down a level this week. Cleary did a couple of nice things but looks just VFL level at this stage of his career.

Missing McComb and Wallis as well as an injury list of seven other listed players.

Overall nothing to be enthused about. Our depth isn't great right now.

Stats not final, at least 33 disposals have not been credited, once CD completes the review, I'll update the post...

Disposal Efficiency
FO: 70%
RI: 71%

Kicking Efficiency
FO: 62%
RI: 66%

Hitouts / To Advantage
12 / 3 - Martin
2 / 1 - Khamis
2 / 0 - Sweet

Hitouts To Advantage

FO: 4
RI: 10

First Possessions
FO: 37
RI: 36

Clearances / Centre Clearances

FO: 41 / 12
RI: 32 / 9

Contested Marks
FO: 6
RI: 4

Marks Inside 50
FO: 11
RI: 18

Defensive 50 Marks
FO: 21
RI: 18

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
FO: 8
RI: 3

Spoils
FO: 35
RI: 37

Inside 50 Efficiency
FO: 50%
RI: 58%

Shots At Goal
FO: 19 (53%)
RI: 28 (50%)

Scoring Profile (Footscray / Richmond)
Set Shot: 3.3 / 7.3
Snap: 4.2 / 5.4
On Run: 3.1 / 1.0
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.1
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 1.0

0M-15M: 2.1 / 2.1
15M-30M: 2.0 / 4.0
31M-40M: 2.2 / 1.2
41M-50M: 3.2 / 6.2
51M+: 1.1 / 1.3

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 2.2 / 1.1
Scores In Time-On: 3.4 / 5.4

Smothers
FO: 4
RI: 6

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
140 - Sullivan
126 - Martin
105 - Garcia
105 - Crozier
104 - Raak
98 - Schache
91 - R. Smith
90 - Cleary
79 - West
63 - Kellet
62 - Macpherson
57 - Chatfield
53 - Khamis
49 - Cormack
49 - Drummond
46 - Gilbee
38 - Orgill
38 - Jones
30 - Lewis
27 - Bedendo
21 - Hodge
11 - Parker
7 - Sweet

Free Kick Summary
FK.png

Score Sources
SS.png

Player Stats Table
FT.png

kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

First time I've watched any of the young guys/reserses this year. Watched the whole game, here's my thoughts

Stefan Martin - I thought he was the best for us (out of the AFL listed players). Didn't win many hitouts but was clearly better around the ground then Soldo and Ryan and had good second efforts. Took some good intercept marks early in the the game. Didn't have much support with Sweet going down early. Was important in the clearances and won a lot of them

Josh Schache - Played in the backline all game which is good to see. Thought he held up well and took some important intercept marks. Still not overly impressed with some of his one on one work, but used the ball well and he was one of our better players

Riley Garcia - Got a lot of it and seemed to be quicker of mind then a lot of his team mates. The way he got the ball in a contest and then linked up was very impressive. Poor kicking/decision making and handballs was also a feature unfortunately which is what cost him. He looked like he didn't know what to do with the ball at times

Hayden Crozier - Solid game. Generally used the ball well and intercepted well later in the game

Luke Cleary - Not someone that you notice much which can be good as he doesn't do a lot wrong. Generally uses it well and makes good decisions. Took some of the kick outs

Arthur Jones - Unlike Cleary, he's someone that's easy to notice. Plays fast which will hold up well at AFL level. Kicked a very nice crumbing goal and had some important touches in the centre of the ground when he was surrounded by Richmond players. I was really impressed based on that effort.

Roarke Smith - Thought he was good early, but got worse as the game went on. Tried to do too much at times which makes him look really stupid. Needs to stick with the basics

Rhylee West - A bit disappointed with his effort. Went missing when the game was on the line and sometimes he just needs to be a better teammate. He had an opportunity to tap the ball to Smith which would've ended in an easy goal but instead he took possession of the ball and got caught holding the ball. It's simple things like this that he needs to do better if he wants a game

Buku Khamis - He was average and I don't think he's improved much at all from when I last saw him. He took a couple good intercepts, but lacked the composure. I do worry he doesn't have the agility and speed to get himself out of trouble when he's under pressure which I've noticed a lot from watching him. I wish he was a bit taller too

Cody Raak - Seemed to get a bit of it and was the main kick out guy. Uses the ball well, but doesn't give us enough as an attacking option at this stage. Probably needs to be a bit braver and more creative

Dom Bendendo - He was lively before he got injured early in the 1st qtr. The goal he kicked stood out to me. Intercepted the ball, waited for a target. Hit a 30m pass then got a handball receive and kicked a goal from 50m

Charlie Parker - Awful. I know he's coming off an injury and he clearly looked to be out of gas. But didn't look at all natural and looked as raw as anything. He's nearly 25, so I think we should expect a bit better then that. Clearly has athletic capabilities, but didn't look clean and he didn't show off any football ability. Not saying he's necessarily a bust, but he looks a long way off it from what I saw

Jordon Sweet - Injured

Last edited:
50% kicking efficiency won’t get Garcia a call up. At least I hope not.
Improve your kicking son.

Khamis had 50% KE too.😕
Only watched first 1.5 quarters but I have some sympathy for the low KE% numbers given the limited presentation of forwards. Other than switching the play in the backline there were very few deliberate kicks to open or leading players.

I generally agree on Garcia’s disposal though. I’m also not convinced he’s as quick as people make our. Super “zippy” in close but doesn’t look fast over 10-20m to me.

Charlie Parker - Awful. I know he's coming off an injury and he clearly looked to be out of gas. But didn't look at all natural and looked as raw as anything. He's nearly 25, so I think we should expect a bit better then that. Clearly has athletic capabilities, but didn't look clean and he didn't show off any football ability. Not saying he's necessarily a bust, but he looks a long way off it from what I saw.
We can't be too critical of a guy playing his first game in a new set up but he didn't show much speed or agility and his opponents got plenty of the ball. Certainly the words raw and rough come to mind. Looks a long way off AFL level now. A few months down the track, who knows.

We can't be too critical of a guy playing his first game in a new set up but he didn't show much speed or agility and his opponents got plenty of the ball. Certainly the words raw and rough come to mind. Looks a long way off AFL level now. A few months down the track, who knows.

Has he had Covid perhaps?

Final VFL stats (sorted by ranking points)...
FS.png
kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

Final VFL stats (sorted by ranking points)...
View attachment 1368805

Martin has to play Good Friday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back