Footy Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Fayed

Debutant
Jul 7, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Aiming to get bigger and faster for next season by starting about now.

What are some good things to do throughout the week?
Run everyday or alternate?
Been running about two or three times a week since footy season has finished. And doing 8 min abs (from youtube), good for core strength.

Not sure about increasing speed and putting on some muscle.

Help would be awesome.

Re: AFL Preseason Training

should include progressive overload- no more then %5 a time though
this could increase duration, speed ect.
increase reps per set
increase sets

dont just run, often that gets boring. possibly do some interval training or some fartlek training (google them, cbf explaining them)

I'm also planning on started my pre-season in the next couple of days but im not sure how to start it.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. All i've been doing so far is going on 5km runs every second day and like the OP, i've also being doing some Ab ripper X thing one of my mates gave me.

187cm, 77kg midfielder, 17 years old. My aim is to improve endurance and speed in general really. Im also going to start hitting the gym early December and i've got no idea how to go about weights. Do i start big with weights with less reps or small with more reps? What parts of the body should i work on?

Few more details would be good. How old, height, position etc would be good.
19, 5'4, weigh a tick under 50 and play midfield. :eek:

Yeah been alternating with running and fartlek. Been running about 30min at just under 4.5min/km on average.

Pretty much looking to do what Kangas_Div is doing, 'cept small and a bit older! :p

1. i hate how people associated with the AFL refer to this period as the 'pre-season'. it's the freaken off-season. pre-season technically doesnt start until the knockout comp. not that i should be surprised......the AFL has many of its own ****ed up references......clash jumper anyone? anyway rant over.

2. https://www.essendonfc.com.au/team/quinn2005.asp

if you havent already done so, register, log in and then follow the program set out here. this is a program put together by a current AFL conditioning coach so there is some credibility in it. there's a senior prorgram and a junior program for 12-18yr olds. it goes from the bottom of the page to the top.

if you havent already done so, perhaps do a few weeks of light runs and increase the tempo of these bit by bit before you go straight into Quinn's program. It's a 12-week preparation program so you can work back from the beginning of your season and start it at the appropriate time. i think it'll prolly be around begining of december for most people. remember tho that you'll be back at your club doing sessions with them too in the new year.

it doesnt list a lifting program, but does offer tips and things to keep in mind when asking a personal trainer or qualified gym skank to put a program together for you. from my experience playing american football where lifting is a big part in preparation, my coaches have always stressed these 6 lifting exercises as core: squat, deadlift, bench press, power clean, standing shoulder press, pendlay row. everything else is secondary.

hope it helps.

1. i hate how people associated with the AFL refer to this period as the 'pre-season'. it's the freaken off-season. pre-season technically doesnt start until the knockout comp. not that i should be surprised......the AFL has many of its own ****ed up references......clash jumper anyone? anyway rant over.

All sports refer to the training period leading up to the actual season as "pre-season" (or terms that mean the same thing).

If you're going to have a mental breakdown at least make sure you're right first.

this is very much not the pre-season. far from it. we're still closer to the end of last season than to the beginning of next......that's quite a pre-season. furthermore, off season activities such as the draft are yet to be completed.

a pre-season is the period closing in on the season proper, marked by either a minor competition, or in the absence of this, a move to more specific training for the actual season ahead.

but as i said, terms in the AFL have their own meanings.

Pre season training

Here's a pre draft camp preparation program.

Mon am - RUN 40-45 MIN @ 75-80% ( Approx 8-10 klms )
pm - Weights
Tues pm - Sprints session A
Wed am - Interval Training
pm - Weights
Thurs pm - Sprints Session B
Fri am - Run 40-45 min @ 75-80 % ( Approx 8-10klms )
pm - Rest
Sat am - Bike Ride 1 hour solid ( approx 25-30 kph )
pm - Rest
Sun am - Swim Recovery
pm - Rest

Sprint Program
1. Warm - Up lap of 400 metre track
2. From finish line to 20 metre mark and back complete the following exercises

Butt Kicks forward
Butt Kicks backward
Side Shuffle
Carioca

3. Dynamic ROM stretches ( approx 5 mins )
4. Sprints : All efforts 100 % intensity, recovery is walk back time

Session A
Sprint with sledg/ car tyre 4 x 20m
Sprint with 10m rolling start 4 x 40m
Slope Sprint ( 30-40 degrees) 4 x 20m

Session B
Sprint rolling start 2 x 50m
Sprint 1 x 60m
Sprint 1 x 70m
Sprint 2 x 80m
Sprint 1 x 70m
Sprint 1 x 60m

Interval Training
4 laps of 400 metre track
* at completion of each lap perform a shuttle run pratice touching the metre line 4 times then continue the next lap. Total Distance = 2400m

There is also a guideline for the gym program if anyone would like ?

I quit soccer to play footy halfway through this year, but didn't play a game only trained so I'm not sure what position I'll play, probably back or forward pocket possibly as a 3rd tall. I'm 17 and about 191 cm, 80 odd kg but with shocking endurance. I found at footy training I ran out of energy much quicker than I did with soccer, so I've been running about 3k every second day to try and get fitter for footy, with goal practice and and a light run on the off days but should probably be doing more running than that I guess? Do pushups too but not much else as I'm not a gym member, but should be just as soon as I start getting paid for my new job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (unfortunately I can't open the link mcgarnacle sent for some reason), especially as I'm a pretty average player as it is so any off-season work to help me get a jump on my teammates would be good :eek: :thumbsu:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (unfortunately I can't open the link mcgarnacle sent for some reason), especially as I'm a pretty average player as it is so any off-season work to help me get a jump on my teammates would be good :eek: :thumbsu:

u need to regsiter with the bomberland website. click on the register link in the top left hand corner................or register here. then you can login to the program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, I would just say that I am not a professional, so use this as guide only.

19, 5'4, weigh a tick under 50 and play midfield. :eek:

Yeah been alternating with running and fartlek. Been running about 30min at just under 4.5min/km on average.

Pretty much looking to do what Kangas_Div is doing, 'cept small and a bit older! :p

I would work on your endurance first. So go with smaller weights with lots of reps. Just don't strain your body. Your not gonna be a macho man over night. Just do what you feel is comfortable and slowly work your way up. It is also important to have rest days in between weight sessions to give your body time to heal.

In terms of aerobic fitness, running is great. As mentioned before you can change it up and do some interval stuff. Just don't put to much pressure on your body. Also be careful on what surfaces you run on. Running on to many hard surfaces can lead to shin splints, and they are painful as.

With your core stuff, keep doing all the body stuff. You can always change it up a bit and use those balance balls, and also medicine balls (If you can get them, if not any sort of weights)

I quit soccer to play footy halfway through this year, but didn't play a game only trained so I'm not sure what position I'll play, probably back or forward pocket possibly as a 3rd tall. I'm 17 and about 191 cm, 80 odd kg but with shocking endurance. I found at footy training I ran out of energy much quicker than I did with soccer, so I've been running about 3k every second day to try and get fitter for footy, with goal practice and and a light run on the off days but should probably be doing more running than that I guess? Do pushups too but not much else as I'm not a gym member, but should be just as soon as I start getting paid for my new job.

Ill extend on what I said before, so this also applies to the above post. Running can be good, but it is also vital to change it up a bit. When you guys go back for preseason, running will be on the menu and may start to burn you out a bit. There are a lot of other good things you can do that work just as well as running. Boxing, Cycling, Aerobics, Swimming are all other good forms of exercise you can do to increase your fitness. Keep changing it up, Maybe alternate on different days. It keeps the routine fresh, and you won't be running past the same trees everyday.

As I mentioned above, don't over do it. Make sure you eat healthy and rest. Also if your running distances make sure you have a properly fitted pair of shoes. Groins, Knees, Ankles etc can all be effected by a shit pair of runners. They may set you back $150+ (And may not be a big brand) but they are worth the extra $$$.

Re: Pre season training

Goal umpire coaching examples #2

Mostyn Rutter, SANFL 3:55 PM Mon 08 September, 2008
Goal%20umpire%20positioning%20(article).JPG
Goal umpire coaching clips #2

Through the Umpire Coach PD program, the Australian Football League along with each state umpiring body is continuing to commit to its promise of providing stronger support and training to umpire coaches throughout Australia.

The AFL sees umpire coaches as having the greatest influence over the environment in which an umpire participates in, and sees the coach as the key person in providing support for all umpires within their group.

The goal umpire coaching clips below are the second of a series of clips provided courtesy of SANFL goal umpires coach Mostyn Rutter.

Click here to view the clips and refer to the notes below for the teaching points.

We encourage any coach who is not involved in the Umpire Coach PD program to take advantage of the networking and education opportunities and make contact with your local State Umpiring Development Manager to find out further information.

Example 1

Snap shot from 20 meters in front of goal. Umpire is under the flight of the ball close to the left hand goal post and keeps his eyes on the ball at all times. Very good positioning.

Example 2

Shot on the run from 9 meters out in front of goal. Quick movement to cover, confident and calm.

Example 3

Set shot on an angle. Very good positioning under the flight of the ball close to the left hand goal post.

Example 4

Shot on the run, ball comes of hands and hit the right hand behind post. Very good movement to position for out of bounds signal to assist the boundary umpire.

Example 5

Ball travels over contesting pack towards the goal line. Very good position for goal line decision. Well read, showed confidence.

Example 6

Shot on the run, check side kick for goal. Umpire is under the flight of the ball as it travels through the right hand behind area. Calm, confident and sharp movement to goal line for the all clear, indication and signal.

Example 7

Shot on the run. Positions behind the bounce and then quickly re-positions as the ball changes direction.

Example 8

Excellent change of position from under the flight of the ball to a straddling position on the goal line for the contest on the line. The situation was read very well and the umpire displayed a very good reaction and very good positioning.

Example 9

Shot on the run on a slight angle, ball is very high and close to the left hand goal post. Well read and very good position under the flight of the ball through the left hand behind area.

Example 10

Set shot front 50 meters out in front of goal with a contestable ball on the goal line. Very good straddle of the goal line by the umpire.

Example 11

Very good concentration to get under the flight of the kick.

Example 12

Kick out of the air by a defender through the goals. Very good concentration. Expect the unexpected!

Example 13

Shot on the run from 25 meters out in front of goal. Ball very close to the left hand goal post. Very well read and very good reaction to get under the flight.

Example 14

Not a close kick therefore under the flight positioning required.

Example 15

Shot on the run from 35 meters out in front of goal. Well read to get under the flight close to the left hand goal post. Note the quick readjustment of position under the flight.

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
mockup_AFLCtlGalleryLibraryForNews.png

I have done some more searching.

Goal umpire coaching examples

Mostyn Rutter, SANFL Goal Umpires Coach 10:42 AM Mon 11 August, 2008
Axon%20(article).JPG
Goal umpire positioning

Through the Umpire Coach PD program, the Australian Football League along with each state umpiring body is continuing to commit to its promise of providing stronger support and training to umpire coaches throughout Australia.

The AFL sees umpire coaches as having the greatest influence over the environment in which an umpire participates in, and sees the coach as the key person in providing support for all umpires within their group.

As part of the PD program, we have been provided with a series of goal umpire coaching clips courtesy of SANFL goal umpires coach Mostyn Rutter.

Click here to view the clips and refer to the notes below for the teaching points.

We encourage any coach who is not involved in the Umpire Coach PD program to take advantage of the networking and education opportunities and make contact with your local State Umpiring Development Manager to find out further information.

Example 1

Shot on the run from just inside the 50 meter arc. A contest forms in the left hand behind area and the umpire straddles the behind line. The umpire is calm, assertive and is in a very good position.

Example 2

Shot on the run from approximately 25 meters out. The umpire correctly positions himself behind the bounce and remains calm and positive.

Example 3

A defender punches the ball through on the goal line. The umpire is slow to read the play and react and as a result is not correctly settled astride the goal line for the decision. Very close decision but correct.

Example 4

Shot on the run 40 meters out. The goal umpire chose to stay under the flight of the ball. However, with the defender contesting the ball, being astride the goal line would have been the optimum and correct position.

Example 5

Shot on the run from 50 meters out right in front. The umpire read the contest on the goal line well and as a result the correct decision was made. Very good straddle on the goal line.

Example 6

The umpire read the play well resulting in a very good straddle of the goal line in anticipation of the defender carrying the ball over the line.

Example 7

Contest on the goal line from a set shot. Well read by the umpire to straddle the goal line.

Example 8

Quick snap shot from in front. Well read and very good movement to be under the flight of the ball. The umpire remained calm and positive.

Example 9

Umpire under the flight so there isn’t a need to look at and face the boundary umpire. In this situation just be under the flight and complete the required procedure.

Example 10

Out of bounds on the full on the right hand side. Moved early to position and gave a very clear signal to the boundary umpire.

Example 11

Shot on the run from 25 meters out through the left behind area. The umpire showed very good speed to cover the ball. Sharpe and confident.

Example 12

Set shot from 50 meters with contestable ball on the goal line. Very good straddle of goal line, well read.

Example 13

Set shot from 35 meters out on an angle, ball hit the right hand goal post. Very good position under the flight of the ball.

Example 14

Ball misread by the goal umpire and as a result he was not settled astride the goal line for the contest. Poor positioning behind a contesting player.

Example 15

Shot on the run from an acute angle. Umpire under the flight, confident and positive.

Example 16

Shot on the run from 50 meters on an angle. Well read, very good position straddling the goal line for the contest.

Example 17

A “pressure kick”. Set shot on an angle from 50 meters. Umpire under the flight, calm, confident and positive.

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

That Essendon training program looks good :thumbsu:

Just one thing though, say for instance in one part it says "Run (30-45 mins), is that non stop, or do you break that up with intervals?

That Essendon training program looks good :thumbsu:

Just one thing though, say for instance in one part it says "Run (30-45 mins), is that non stop, or do you break that up with intervals?

they're meant to be continuous runs.

there are also 'fartleks' which are also continuous runs, but the speed is mixed up. a 20-30min session of these is tough.

intervals are introduced around week 5. quinn likes 1km intervals by the looks of it. these are still endurance runs, but at a higher tempo, so then you can rest prior to the next 1km interval.

continuous (hilly, flat, etc), fartlek, and interval running in the program are all meant to work on your aerobic capacity.

dont confuse the 'special endurance' (SE) running in the program with the intervals above. the SE running is used to develop your anaerobic endurance. you'll really feel lactic acid build up in these. work reps (the 200m) are meant to be run at 85-95% intensity.

they're meant to be continuous runs.

there are also 'fartleks' which are also continuous runs, but the speed is mixed up. a 20-30min session of these is tough.

intervals are introduced around week 5. quinn likes 1km intervals by the looks of it. these are still endurance runs, but at a higher tempo, so then you can rest prior to the next 1km interval.

continuous (hilly, flat, etc), fartlek, and interval running in the program are all meant to work on your aerobic capacity.

dont confuse the 'special endurance' (SE) running in the program with the intervals above. the SE running is used to develop your anaerobic endurance. you'll really feel lactic acid build up in these. work reps (the 200m) are meant to be run at 85-95% intensity.

Thanks alot for that! I'm gonna get started on it today. :)

I am coming out of retirement after not playing for 3 years (will be 34 next footy season). Have be running for about 2 months now amd starting to get back some solid fitness. Have been mainly running but have started doing some swimming (for the Pier to Pub) and it also rests the legs. Any advice.
Before even aiming to come out of retirement, make sure you are below your ideal playing weight, then work on the fitness side of things mainly directed toward flexibilty, as that is the main thing which tends to dissapear as we get older and generally leads to short and long injuries !

I am coming out of retirement after not playing for 3 years (will be 34 next footy season). Have be running for about 2 months now amd starting to get back some solid fitness. Have been mainly running but have started doing some swimming (for the Pier to Pub) and it also rests the legs. Any advice.

so important at your age to do the little things most weekend warriors neglect.

warm up properly prior to a training session, and when the season arrives, before games. this means doing a light run for 5-10mins to get your body temp up. then completing some dynamic stretches....like the spiderman, scorpian, straight leg march, handwalks, etc. you may look and feel like a drop punt, but the benefits of this will outweigh initial embarrassment. most people are unaware of this but static stretches shouldnt be included in a warm up as recent studies are concluding that it does f-all to in preparation prior to actvity. in fact, static stretching weakens the muscle being stretched. static stretching is important during cool-down though, and this is something you must start doing if you dont already do so. a strict cool down regimen will prevent your muscles from tightening up and get you on your way to preparing for the next session.

I'm 17, 191+cm (haven't measured for a while, and still growing). I'm about 90 odd kilos, but haven't measured that for a few weeks, and have been losing weight over the past few weeks. I'm probably a fair bit below that now.

I play in the ruck, and need to improve aerobic fitness, vertical jump and sprint speed most of all.

I've been jogging for 20+min 2-3 times a week, and doing weights work (3x12reps) on the pec deck, shoulder press and lat pull down (in the park where I jog, on machines which the council had installed).

I also have a Wii Fit :)D) but haven't been using it for a while.

What sort of regime should I work on?

Cheers for any help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back