Fox Footy co-host Mark Robinson looks set to leave AFL 360 after 14 years in the hot seat

Remove this Banner Ad

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Fox Footy’s Mark Robinson looks set to farewell AFL 360 after 14 years at the helm of the popular show.

News Corp’s chief football writer is expected to front the program for the last time on Monday night for the annual post-grand final episode.
Robinson, affectionately known as ‘Robbo’ by most in the industry, co-hosts AFL 360 alongside the highly-respected Gerard Whateley.

Talk of Robbo’s impending exit started to spread among footy media types in the days leading up to Saturday’s grand final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

On Sunday, Diary called Robinson to ask if Monday night’s episode would be his last but the football guru wasn’t giving anything away, and declined to comment.

It remains unclear if the veteran broadcaster will make reference to his expected departure from AFL 360 on Monday night’s show.
The program is Fox Footy’s flagship football analysis program, airing on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays throughout the AFL season, and features the sport’s top players and coaches.

Robinson has led the program since it launched in 2010.

Spies told Diary the program could feature a rotating roster of co-hosts to accompany Whateley in 2025.

Likely candidates include those already at Fox Footy, such as former AFL stars Jack Riewoldt,Garry Lyon and Jordan Lewis.

The word is that Robinson may join the channel’s Midweek Tackle program which is hosted by Herald Sun scribes Jay Clark and Lauren Wood and features many of the paper’s AFL reporters including Jon Ralph, Glenn McFarlane, Josh Barnes and Scott Gullan.

It airs three nights a week, Tuesday to Thursday.

Fox Footy boss Steve Crawley was contacted but declined to comment.
Robinson is one of the AFL’s most prominent journalists and is based at the Herald Sun in Melbourne.
He took over as chief football writer for the News Corp masthead in 2012 following the retirement of legendary football journalist Mike Sheahan.

Gotta be that he wants to retire from the industry, given he's only been there a year

Unless there's some fishy business going on behind the scenes, of course
Just seems odd to leave Ch7 after a prolonged period and then only last 12 months at Ch9 - unless perhaps an opportunity elsewhere has opened up.

Retirement could well be his intention, but Fox calling extra games from next year and now Robbo leaving.

Or maybe since that Ch7 exec has left and there's a lot of personnel changes, maybe he's returning there.

All very conspiratorial, but geez - the timing makes you ask questions.

Not a popular opinion but I don’t mind Robbo.

Obviously a lover of the game and just a grub who loved a dart and a drink who will watch two flies kicking a ball between them if it says Sherrin on the side of it.

Yeah I didn't mind him. Wore his heart on his sleeve, called a spade a spade as he saw it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never saw this flatulent drunken bum make anything like an insightful comment about footy. I won't miss him because I never watched his garbage show (except by accident).

It's a mark against Whateley that he agreed to sit next to this tool. Have some self respect.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

I didn't mind him, but clearly he never did any prep before any show, some of the questions he'd ask guests were just cringe.

I don’t see how anyone can enjoy him in the sense that there was no insight, no professionalism. I dislike the jock types like Brayshaw or former players too - but really, apart from funny/memes, how can you look at him asking Toby Greene how to pronounce his new baby’s name and think “this is a man deserving of footys chief print job & one of the biggest midweek shows?”

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox Footy co-host Mark Robinson looks set to leave AFL 360 after 14 years in the hot seat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back