Oppo Camp Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

frawley has named his price for rival clubs.. 800,000
do we bite? i dont think we will at that price

I agree, too much. As the articles say, that would make him the most overpriced defender in the comp - and he isn't the best defender in the comp to warrant that salary. Would have thought the 450-600k would have been about the mark to be honest.

I think a club would have to be pretty desperate to pay that much for Frawley. Massive risk which the Suns do not need to take.

With Thompson and May looking the goods. Scahde and Leslie in the 2's and Warnock good for another season at least. Going after frawley at that price would be stupid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

With Thompson and May looking the goods. Scahde and Leslie in the 2's and Warnock good for another season at least. Going after frawley at that price would be stupid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Totally agree, With Thompson, May, KK, Seb, Harbrow, McKenzie, Bock, Schade, Warnock, Shaw, Broughton, Murphy etc what the hell do we need Frawley for, I would only take him if he was willing to take a pay cut to be part of a premiership team (eg Brian Lake at Hawthorn)

Totally agree, With Thompson, May, KK, Seb, Harbrow, McKenzie, Bock, Schade, Warnock, Shaw, Broughton, Murphy etc what the hell do we need Frawley for, I would only take him if he was willing to take a pay cut to be part of a premiership team (eg Brian Lake at Hawthorn)
Our backs are catching up to our mids!

If the AFLPA is successful in downgrading the minimum years a player must spend at a club from eight to seven before becoming eligible for free agency then Dayne Beams will be available at the end of 2015. A local Southport boy that the club has chased in the past and would only be 25 years old at the end of next year. Would it be worth it for the Suns to chase him and perhaps open their premiership window in 2016?

If the AFLPA is successful in downgrading the minimum years a player must spend at a club from eight to seven before becoming eligible for free agency then Dayne Beams will be available at the end of 2015. A local Southport boy that the club has chased in the past and would only be 25 years old at the end of next year. Would it be worth it for the Suns to chase him and perhaps open their premiership window in 2016?

Wouldn't think so in my opinion.

1. How much would he command do you think? 600-700k? More? Our midfield is our strongest area, so probably not needed

2. Image and Branding, we currently don't have anyone covered in tats, is that actually thought of? Are you judged? At a club that is trying to build an image, culture, brand - is that a kind of marquee player we want on our membership drives? Will that attract new members? I've actually got tattoos, and not being judgmental, but I'm thinking more so of the wider community and how that would be received.

Wouldn't think so in my opinion.

1. How much would he command do you think? 600-700k? More? Our midfield is our strongest area, so probably not needed

2. Image and Branding, we currently don't have anyone covered in tats, is that actually thought of? Are you judged? At a club that is trying to build an image, culture, brand - is that a kind of marquee player we want on our membership drives? Will that attract new members? I've actually got tattoos, and not being judgmental, but I'm thinking more so of the wider community and how that would be received.
1. I'd imagine a player like Beams would command at the very least $600,000 and another factor is making an offer that Collingwood doesn't want to match. I suppose the only situation in which the deal would go through is if Beams told the Pies that he wanted to go home and the three parties came to a trade agreement. You point out that the Gold Coast already have a very strong midfield but I'd say Beams would be ahead of some of the guys running through the middle in the Suns' current line up. So I'm basically saying the Suns give up someone that is not as good as Beams but is still young and improving (and has upside) to get a Dayne Beams that is entering his prime as the Suns open their premiership window.

2. I see what you are saying about the tattoos but the club has chased him in the past so obviously they aren't too concerned about that. He had his fair share of tatts when he was with the Sharks so this isn't anything new. I just think it would be a great story to see a local guy come home and win a premiership with the Suns. So far none of the local guys have come home to the Gold Coast but Beams could be a genuine chance given Collingwood appear to be declining. I totally see your point about image and branding but I think the positives outweigh the negatives in this case.

I think our free agency push will depend on our list deficiencies at season end. If our fwd line is still struggling, then surely the club will have to see what's on the market as far as proven ready made goal kickers. I can't see them ignoring it any longer.

We will be entering our 1st of hopefully many years as finals contenders, so you imagine the club will want all holes plugged before we start 2015.

Similar if an A grader like Bennell does move on, we certainly could chase a ready made replacement such as Beams. But I honestly can't see him wanting to leave the the Pies as he wasn't interested when we offered him the big $$$ a few years ago. But there will be others on the market.

But we also have another 2-3 first Rd picks next draft depending on how things pan out, who leaves, who stays, etc, so we still have the opportunity to upgrade the list with youth if the club does not see the need to spend the extra $$$.

Last edited:
I think our free agency push will depend on our list deficiencies at season end. If our fwd line is still struggling, then surely the club will have to see what's on the market as far as proven ready made goal kickers. I can't see them ignoring it any longer.

We will be entering our 1st of hopefully many years as finals contenders, so you imagine the club will want all holes plugged before we start 2015.

Similar if an A grader like Bennell does move on, we certainly could chase a ready made replacement such as Beams. But I honestly can't see him wanting to leave the the Pies as he wasn't interested when we offered him the big $$$ a few years ago. But there will be others on the market.

But we also have another 2-3 first Rd picks next draft depending on how things pan out, who leaves, who stays, etc, so we still have the opportunity to upgrade the list with youth if the club does not see the need to spend the extra $$$.
Interesting way to look at it. You have to remember that when Beams re-signed with Collingwood in 2009 and essentially turned down GC17 (for the second time), the Pies were on the verge of something big and a year later won the premiership so it's a lot easier to stay somewhere when you feel like you are about to achieve something. However, it would be silly to forget that Beams also turned down a three year offer from the Pies during the time that GC17 were going hard at him. You also have to remember that when he signed his second contract extension with Collingwood (August 2012) the Suns were just about at their worst while the Pies were still firmly entrenched in the top 8 and heading for a top 4 finish.

Now we find the Gold Coast in a situation of real promise while it would appear the Pies are declining. I do agree that one of the current midfielders at the Suns would need to leave between now and the end of next year in order to make chasing Beams (for a third time) a reality for the Suns. Claye Beams (Dayne's brother) recently re-signed with the Lions so there are still family connections up north that could be a factor. Like you say, the club will look to plug holes in order to open the premiership window and I'm sure there would be a sense of satisfaction for Scotty Clayton if he finally got his man that he has been chasing for 6 years+ now. If anyone can do it, Clayton can.

Cue the photoshopped picture of Beams in a Suns jumper...

I don't know about the rest of you but I see Bennell as a must sign.... he is a freak and most likely will be our X-factor going into premiership window

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One player we should keep an eye on is David Mackay from the crows. They shopped him around last year which couldn't have left a good taste in his mouth. Now generally speaking I don't like him, think he's a squib. But he could play a needed role for us, last 3 weeks he has averaged over 20 touches at 90% disposal efficiency, and can finish a goal fairly well. Still have Bennel (pls harlee) and Martin to come into the wings but could be an option.

Seriously, trust me when I say that Beams is not the type of person we want around our club.

Watching Beams play for the Pies right now and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want him playing for their team. As Gaz gets older and spends more time in the forward line, placing a player like Beams in your midfield would be ideal. Still sticking to the idea that someone else would need to leave to make it a reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back