Injury Fremantle 2020 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just pure speculation on here because of how people interpreted Longmuirs' words.
To be fair, those were pretty sobering words from a coach. It wasnt :we'll get him right for pre-season", it was, "fingers cross we can fix it and have him ready for round 1 next year."

All that is perfectly fine but besides the point.

That should be communicated in the report, but its not. Your explanations are likely true but we dont know because the club hasnt explained it.
Agree with your comments re: Hamling, Logue etc.

But with a allied health background I can understand what has been done with Sturt. I’m sure people will panic and be mighty pissed off but what they have done here (with Sturt) and others before is if they don’t have an actual timeframe based on awaiting of medical opinion or the like them TBA/TBC is what they will put down. I’d expect (and not be happy if they don’t) to provide members and fans with an update once that medical treatment plan has been confirmed). Like I said earlier it is the medical opinion Freo have sought to date that has concerned me.

Given the developments with Hamling that he is seeking third opinions and likely a number of opinions for Sturt one would hope this area of medical diagnosis and Ortho treatment plan is under heavy scrutiny and review.

Im not necessarily a big fan of Webber, but what people need to understand is that Webber is under Fairly strict medical guidelines and input from the Orthopaedic Surgeon, where a surgeon is involved (ie Hamling, APearce, Hogan, Logue, Young etc.). I have been involved in Coordinating rehab Programs and if you stray even slightly from the Surgeon’s treatment plan you feel there full wrath of disappointment I can assure you of that. That goes for Webber Jeff Boyle etc.

Fair enough re: your point on Hamling and Logue. A courtesy update from the club and the reason for writing them off as done for the season and what they are up to would be min requirement. Really annoyed me what happened with Kersten last year. Was just listed as TBC with nothing then about a week before the end of year listed as season and then delisted. They did do the right thing with APearce - gave an update re: him being out of moonboot and medically recommended conservative approach and as such ruled outfor the season. More of that please Freo and less of the secretive stuff with the likes of Hamling and Kersten.

Last edited:
Agree with your comments re: Hamling, Logue etc.

But with a allied health background I can understand what has been done with Sturt. I’m sure people will panic and be mighty pissed off but what they have done here (with Sturt) and others before is if they don’t have an actual timeframe based on awaiting of medical opinion or the like them TBA/TBC is what they will put down. I’d expect (and not be happy if they don’t) to provide members and fans with an update once that medical treatment plan has been confirmed). Like I said earlier it is the medical opinion Freo have sought to date that has concerned me.

Given the developments with Hamling that he is seeking third opinions and likely a number of opinions for Sturt one would hope this area of medical diagnosis and Ortho treatment plan is under heavy scrutiny and review.

Im not necessarily a big fan of Webber, but what people need to understand is that Webber is under Fairly strict medical guidelines and input from the Orthopaedic Surgeon, where a surgeon is involved (ie Hamling, APearce, Hogan, Logue, Young etc.). I have been involved in Coordinating rehab Programs and if you stray even slightly from the Surgeon’s treatment plan you feel there full wrath of disappointment I can assure you of that. That goes for Webber Jeff Boyle etc.

Fair enough re: your point on Hamling and Logue. A courtesy update from the club and the reason for writing them off as done for the season and what they are up to would be min requirement. Really annoyed me what happened with Kersten last year. Was just listed as TBC with nothing then about a week before the end of year listed as season and then delisted. They did do the right thing with APearce - have an update re: him being out of moonboot and medically recommended conservative approach and as such ruled outfor the season. More that please Freo and less of the secretive stuff with the likes of Hamling and Kersten.
Being picky with your response but I see Sturt as the same. You cant move from him 1-2 weeks to TBA and say nothing. The club has to say at a minimum why he is now TBA

Also they should have learned from Pearce and sent Hamling to Dr Salleh straight away
This is true - however we don’t know if they didn’t but you may well be privy to more on this.

Those infections are horrible and common unfortunately and sadly very common at SJOG Hospital. I suspected this was the issue for Hamling when things haven’t gone well post his May Arthroscope.

What I like about Salleh is that he won’t push Surgery unless it is totally necessary. It seems and I know this based on Hogan Freo medical people wanted surgery and went that direction regardless.

This is the area of the S&C that needs significant review. Who is it that pushes the surgical route where expert Ortho doesn’t agree.

Being picky with your response but I see Sturt as the same. You cant move from him 1-2 weeks to TBA and say nothing. The club has to say at a minimum why he is now TBA
You’re more than entitled to be picky and that is what these forums are for. I didn’t post my information expecting everyone to agree.

I will agree with you on Sturt however, if we don’t hear an update very soon.

Urgh! Injuries of this magnitude are a real momentum killer...2 steps forwards, about 50 back. Was optimistic Sturt might be available for selection. Something has to give somewhere along the lines. Hamling's ankle is a major worry, he was supremely important in Pearce's absence last year down back. The defence has been playing miraculously given how little KPD talent is not available. Shocking

Strength & Conditioning Team - non-duplicitous handlings - TBA

The injury concerns and the general sense of disquiet around our S&C capabilities will possibly have the impact of scaring off free agent and trade targets in the future. We must not only be striving to reduce our injury list, we must also be striving to achieve whatever is considered world's best practice in the industry.

It's hard enough luring targets west, without having to reassure them we're not going **** them up physically.

Can someone share what the problem appears to be with Hamling right now, and why the talk is that the injury is potentially career ending? Thanks
Infection - complication post surgery.

Infections have ruined careers, particularly weight bearing joints like ankles. Don’t heal correctly and hence further medical opinion. The staph infection can cause the bone to go like cheese I’ve heard described making it difficult to insert hardware. Bit like drilling into limestone instead of solid concrete.

As G Mus referred above depends a lot on how quickly the infection was treated. All hope isn’t lost and fingers crossed they get it addressed but there is a reason I’ve been banging on about chasing Sam Taylor and drafting DGB.

Didn't Hamling dislocate his ankle?
Sure did with torn medial ligaments. Surgery was warranted back then which was Feb.

He then had repeat surgery an arthroscope to reportedly address scar tissue in May 2020. Not sure when the infection occurred (Post Feb Reconstructive surgery or Post arthroscopic surgery) but that is what caused the majority of his issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure did with torn medial ligaments. Surgery was warranted back then which was Feb.

He then had repeat surgery an arthroscope to reportedly address scar tissue in May 2020. Not sure when the infection occurred (Post Feb Reconstructive surgery or Post arthroscopic surgery) but that is what caused the majority of his issues.
Makes sense. At least a hell of a lot more sense than the idea that the flexor tendon to his big toe was involved

Our S&C needs a massive overhaul and people that need to go need to be shown the door but is there anything different that the club could have done in the Hamling situation?

Dislocated ankles I assume need surgery and an infection at this time is not something that the club would have control over?

Happy for anyone with a better understanding to correct me though.

The right physio and medical team can also affect whether we keep young guys around from going home.
You don’t want Young being on the sidelines, rehab poorly and getting fed up with it all. Same with Sturt. It’s a fine line. Hopefully Sturt will be right, but he isn’t have a great time of it beginning his career.

I'm just sad that these poor young guys with so much potential haven't been able to fulfil it thus far. I mean, Alex Pearce is deadset All Australian if he can spend a season on the park. I'll be gutted for him if he doesn't get to give it a proper crack. Him and Hamling... that's the start of a bloody good defence.

Standard Freo broken dreams and hearts I guess (Clem Michael!), but it does look like time to get a new S&C/medical team. I mean, FFS, it's a science (of a sort, anyway); there's heaps of data out there about how to do these things well. And I say this as a doctor who's been lightly involved in sports medicine...

Last edited:
I'm just sad that these poor young guys with so much potential haven't been able to fulfil it thus far. I mean, Alex Pearce is deadset All Australian if he can spend a season on the park. I'll be gutted for him if he doesn't get to give it a proper crack. Him and Hamling... that's the start of a bloody good defence.

Standard Freo broken dreams and hearts I guess (Clem Michael!), but it does look like time to get a new S&C/medical team. I mean, FFS, it's a science (of a sort, anyway); there's heaps of data out there about how to do these things well. And I say this as a doctor who's been lightly involved in sports medicine...
I suspect many casual fans believe this, and its One of the great myths that needs to be dispelled - the theory that every single club in the AFL has a S&C and medical staff that are equally competent. That it’s all just bad luck that we consistently have one of the highest levels of injury occurrence and reoccurrence in the league for several years now. That it’s an equal playing field for all teams and that an AFL player will be treated and rehabbed at the exact same level if he is on an AFL list, regardless of which club he happens to be playing at.
THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!!!
We are not elite in this area. We are consistent cellar dwellers when it comes to having good medical staff and S&C staff. We have been a bottom 4 side when it comes to injury management for the best part of a decade now. If anyone thinks the club is going to win a premiership with repeated examples of incompetence in rehabbing our players and general injury management, then they are deluded. Fagan arrived at Brisbane and cleared out the medical staff, and they rose to the top of the ladder with a healthy list within a couple of years.
We need to do the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Fremantle 2020 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back