Injury Fremantle 2020 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he wants to have a harmonious work environment/good culture around the club which can't happen if you are shitting on any department and singling them out. We would turn to rabble and our culture would be shot if he did.
Maybe if we want to become a winning club we need to become a little more ruthless and stop accepting under performance. Which lets face it, we accept mediocrity.

Time to stop being mamby pamby, middle of the road, don't step on anyone's toes PC club.

Buy yes, I agree, the public forum is not the place to lay shit on. But shit needs laid and I still think JLo was laying it on in a veiled comment.

Can anyone read the West’s article about Hamling?

Fremantle defender Joel Hamling and his management will meet with the Dockers on Wednesday following a frustrating run of injuries that has ruled him out for the remainder of the AFL season.

Hamling, who was so critical to the Western Bulldogs’ 2016 flag success before joining the Dockers the following year, had surgery in February after a training mishap, then required another operation in May.

But it is understood the 27-year-old will now need a third operation which has ended his season, despite the club’s website listing his estimated return time as “TBA” (to be announced).

Hamling, pictured, and manager Colin Young will meet with the Dockers to plot the next move aimed at getting him back for round one next season.

The frustration comes as Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir this week forecast a searching review of the club’s injury list, which is the worst in the AFL at the moment, as he prepares to take on the Magpies on Sunday.

“It’s on everyone. It’s on the way we prepare (the players), it’s on the way they prepare themselves. Some of it is unlucky,” Longmuir said.

“We review every injury on its merits and come to a finding on all injuries, so we’ll continue to do that and continue to work on all our practices at the footy club, individuals included.”

Young has long been critical of the Dockers’ injury rehabilitation and prevention.

He said last August: “I have serious concerns on how the club rehabilitates its players (and) it’s my opinion that this area of the club needs an immediate review.

“Immediate changes need to be made or the club is going nowhere.”

Hamling had been looking at a Victorian surgeon for his third surgery, but the state’s COVID-19 spike and the closed borders put an end to that plan.

It is understood his leg became infected when he was in the Dockers’ Queensland hub.

Before this year, Hamling had missed only four games for the Dockers since returning home to Perth after helping the Dogs win that fairytale 2016 flag.

But his 2020 season now is a wipeout and he won’t play again until next year.

Jeff Boyle, head physio since day 1
they need to abolish the team from head to toe and start again like Brisbane did

Speaking on Tuesday morning ahead of the club's first final in a decade, coach Chris Fagan recalled his very first pre-season session in November 2016.

"There were 37 players there, 25 were in rehab and 12 were doing proper training and I thought "gee, I forgot to ask them that question, how healthy was the list?"

"From that day forward, it was a new medical group and we all started together, that's been addressed and over the course of the last two years we've had a magnificent run with injuries, which I hope continues for the rest of this year and into the future, of course."

A clear reference to Tucker I reckon. He was likely not warmed up properly. A preparation failure by him, the medicos or both.
Out for the season because of it. That's frustrating and I'm sure Jlo is pulling his hair out over such fundamental failures.
All of that is underneath the coaches responsibilities. If they aren’t happening properly Longmuir needs to do something about it, not have a whine to the media.

If true, how in the actual f##k does Hamling get an infection in the hub????
Was he walking around with an open would wound?? This is incomprehensible. A total disgrace.

What in the F##K is going on at this club???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of that is underneath the coaches responsibilities. If they aren’t happening properly Longmuir needs to do something about it, not have a whine to the media.
Maybe those in power are resisting change like they've done for the last few years.

Maybe he had no choice but to call them out publically due to intransigence.

Although I doubt he'd be doing that so early in his career.

Just spitballing here

Something clearly must change.

Last edited:
AP delay was infection as well. Not sure there is much that can be done apart from wound care tbh

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So both KPD's infected after surgery, ending their seasons??

Has anyone ever heard anything like this before at any other club??

I don't buy that it's a 'not much can be done' scenario. This is exactly the mediocrity that is allowed to prevail at the club.

This is all just rumour though lol. But if it were true. Jeeeez.

Fremantle defender Joel Hamling and his management will meet with the Dockers on Wednesday following a frustrating run of injuries that has ruled him out for the remainder of the AFL season.

Hamling, who was so critical to the Western Bulldogs’ 2016 flag success before joining the Dockers the following year, had surgery in February after a training mishap, then required another operation in May.

But it is understood the 27-year-old will now need a third operation which has ended his season, despite the club’s website listing his estimated return time as “TBA” (to be announced).

Hamling, pictured, and manager Colin Young will meet with the Dockers to plot the next move aimed at getting him back for round one next season.

The frustration comes as Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir this week forecast a searching review of the club’s injury list, which is the worst in the AFL at the moment, as he prepares to take on the Magpies on Sunday.

“It’s on everyone. It’s on the way we prepare (the players), it’s on the way they prepare themselves. Some of it is unlucky,” Longmuir said.

“We review every injury on its merits and come to a finding on all injuries, so we’ll continue to do that and continue to work on all our practices at the footy club, individuals included.”

Young has long been critical of the Dockers’ injury rehabilitation and prevention.

He said last August: “I have serious concerns on how the club rehabilitates its players (and) it’s my opinion that this area of the club needs an immediate review.

“Immediate changes need to be made or the club is going nowhere.”

Hamling had been looking at a Victorian surgeon for his third surgery, but the state’s COVID-19 spike and the closed borders put an end to that plan.

It is understood his leg became infected when he was in the Dockers’ Queensland hub.

Before this year, Hamling had missed only four games for the Dockers since returning home to Perth after helping the Dogs win that fairytale 2016 flag.

But his 2020 season now is a wipeout and he won’t play again until next year.
****en infection, are they serious! Infections can end careers.

How does a professional athlete in this era get an infection, well after the operation?

IIRC when Hamling first did the injury they said 8 weeks which he would be back by now!

Attracting players to Freo is hard enough without the perception that it might cut your career short from mismanagement of injuries!

Simon Garlick, Peter Bell. These injury fiascos are a monumental fail. Again again again again.

I know it's early on your watch but you freaking will better be doing something about this behind the scenes and not just paying lip service to those who pay your freaking wages.

In fact we should be hearing more from Garlick. He is not fronting up! Where are you Simon?

We are DEMANDING better! NOW!!!

I am so infuriated and disillusioned tonight for some reason.

No rumours. Both players got an infection. AP was in Feb and the West quotes Hamlings as happening on the GC

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Fremantle 2020 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back