Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like just one more established assistant to take over from Spangher now. Ideally to get the forwards working together
It’s an interesting one. It makes sense to look at it on the surface and think Spangher is inexperienced and the forward line isn’t functioning well all the time, so he’s doing a bad job.

It might be the club thinks he’s going well and there are other reasons the forward line struggles.

If he gets moved to a different position (particularly development or something) then that’s a pretty good clue they didn’t think he was going well I guess.

Here’s a thought, why don’t we - the supporters - just get behind the team and coaches in 2024 and try and win this ?bloody thing. I’m tired of seeing people bag the club and the coach.
The criticism is fine and it's justifiable, whether you agree with it or not.

Fans need a chance to vent and to try to figure out how we managed to stuff up an almost guaranteed finals place. And to discuss how we can make sure we do better.

I agree the repetition is tedious but it's filling the vacuum.

In the absence of any explanations or meaningful public announcements from the club the supporters are going to get restless and the temperature is going to keep rising.

None of this stops supporters getting behind the club once again in 2024.

The criticism is fine and it's justifiable, whether you agree with it or not.

In the absence of any explanations or meaningful public announcements from the club the supporters are going to get restless and the temperature is going to keep rising.

None of this stops supporters getting behind the club once again in 2024.
The paranoia has been very real this year, hasn't it?

As long as Edge is able to bring new ideas in. As a vfl coach, you’re essentially playing Bevos system still.

Not interested in anymore yes men.
You want him to give us an edge?

Not sure if you watched the 2s this year but they played significantly different style
The VFL game plan ironically seemed far better suited to the AFL level competition - the rebound out of defence was aggressive, and our forward line rarely seemed to get flooded. I love the idea of Edge getting a go as a line coach

Here’s a thought, why don’t we - the supporters - just get behind the team and coaches in 2024 and try and win this ?bloody thing. I’m tired of seeing people bag the club and the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what we did last off season. Now we're a basket case.

The VFL game plan ironically seemed far better suited to the AFL level competition - the rebound out of defence was aggressive, and our forward line rarely seemed to get flooded. I love the idea of Edge getting a go as a line coach
I don't think that's not what we tried to do. AFL defences are just far better at closing down those options and we did not spread nearly well enough to compensate for it (watch the Pies spread from a contest and then contrast to us - chalk and cheese).

I don't think that's not what we tried to do. AFL defences are just far better at closing down those options and we did not spread nearly well enough to compensate for it (watch the Pies spread from a contest and then contrast to us - chalk and cheese).
I think another key factor is our VFL side has strong interceptors, while our AFL side doesn't. Our players are able to more quickly get into an advantageous position on the wing to receive the long aggressive kick when the defenders were able to intercept in the air and quickly rebound while their opponents have already run past them towards their goals.

Compare this to our AFL side where, best case scenario, we were spoiling and trying to win the loose ball. Though it was hard not to notice our intent to run and carry on the wings or make a high risk play through the corridor in order to get the ball forward quicker, meaning our forward entries were cleaner and forwards had more opportunity to create something. Compare this to what happens in the seniors where we very slowly make our way up the ground in a predictable manner wide on the wing, then bomb it long to a pack and hope Naughton makes something of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think another key factor is our VFL side has strong interceptors, while our AFL side doesn't. Our players are able to more quickly get into an advantageous position on the wing to receive the long aggressive kick when the defenders were able to intercept in the air and quickly rebound while their opponents have already run past them towards their goals.

Compare this to our AFL side where, best case scenario, we were spoiling and trying to win the loose ball. Though it was hard not to notice our intent to run and carry on the wings or make a high risk play through the corridor in order to get the ball forward quicker, meaning our forward entries were cleaner and forwards had more opportunity to create something. Compare this to what happens in the seniors where we very slowly make our way up the ground in a predictable manner wide on the wing, then bomb it long to a pack and hope Naughton makes something of it
I think it's just very hard to isolate exactly what the issue is. You're right that our lack of dare off half-back could be attributed to a lack of intercepting talent. It is also possible to attribute our lack of intercepting, though, to a lack of defence between the arcs meaning our defenders don't have time to set up. But then, you could argue that that's attributable to our inability to convert scores, meaning we are vulnerable to rebound. And then is that due to our forwards or our mids? Is it attributable to our inability to get a clean clearance from the midfield? So then, is that because of problematic defence (e.g., not blocking for each other), or attack (e.g., not finding the ball in the right spots or making the right decisions), or structure (e.g., not being in the right spot)?

Everything flows into each other. The view of this board currently seems to be that every single aspect is broken. I'm not so sure. At our best this year we actually defended quite well and still ended in the top six for points against, we just couldn't score.

It's the balance that is broken, not every single part of our list and structure and game style.

What do people think of this?

I don't mind it. Edge had footscray humming throughout different parts of his tenure.

We will never know if Edge does move to an assistant is it because of what he can bring or that’s all we can attract

Again in an arms race we go in with water pistols

In terms of our 2024 motto, I'd be differing to one of the greats in Shakespeare.

"Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War."

I'd also play a bit of ACDCs Dogs of War before the bounce and even after goals if it goes well. If we can get a fast moving game style that's a bit haphazard then that'd also fit with the "Havoc".

I'd love a bit of this before a game showing some Dogs doing the hard stuff. I'd fire me up.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it's just very hard to isolate exactly what the issue is. You're right that our lack of dare off half-back could be attributed to a lack of intercepting talent. It is also possible to attribute our lack of intercepting, though, to a lack of defence between the arcs meaning our defenders don't have time to set up. But then, you could argue that that's attributable to our inability to convert scores, meaning we are vulnerable to rebound. And then is that due to our forwards or our mids? Is it attributable to our inability to get a clean clearance from the midfield? So then, is that because of problematic defence (e.g., not blocking for each other), or attack (e.g., not finding the ball in the right spots or making the right decisions), or structure (e.g., not being in the right spot)?
cross-eyed.gif

Re. Matt Inness' position.

Bevo did endorse one of Matt Inness' assistants for the vacancy last night. I can't remember his name.
Yeah I found that a bit weird to be honest, not sure he’s really in the position to be endorsing people publicly for a role he’s not in charge of recruiting for

Re. Matt Inness' position.

Bevo did endorse one of Matt Inness' assistants for the vacancy last night. I can't remember his name.
Yeah I found that a bit weird to be honest, not sure he’s really in the position to be endorsing people publicly for a role he’s not in charge of recruiting for

Because he already had the job as soon as Inness left.

That’s the problem puts his nose in where it shouldn’t and Grant is too weak to tell him butt out

People saying Bevo is acting weird, or different or seems unwell. Back around preseason of 2016, i was lucky enough to get a invite to have lunch with then Ceo Dave Stevenson. So i went into the club and met up with Dave and Bevo joined us. Had a good chat to both and found him to be a really nice fella, but a bit strange. I honestly think its just him. I don't think hes changed much from those days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back