News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Disabled sports fans left in cold at non-compliant and ‘tired’ Gabba

Disabled sports fans are segregated from family, get wet when it rains and must navigate cracked footpaths and huge crowds to get to the stadium from the drop-off zone 250m away, a shocking assessment of the ‘tired’ Gabba stadium has revealed.

The Gabba has not had a major upgrade in 25 years and was slammed by Graham Quirk this year as part of his independent review into venues for the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The stadium is not compliant with current Disability Discrimination Act requirements or modern building codes, the report outlined.

But a special investigation by The Sunday Mail has found just how difficult it is for disabled sports fans to get to the Woolloongabba stadium and to access seating and other facilities. The wheelchair accessible drop-off zone and car park is a block away on Linton St – some 250m from the nearest entrance to the stadium.

There are limited parking spots and it is on a first-come, first-served basis.

People in wheelchairs must navigate over roads, cracked footpaths and dodge huge crowds on their way to the 42,000-capacity stadium.

Once inside, there are only two lifts to take fans up to the grandstand, with access to those hampered by slanting concrete floors and angled surfaces, making it difficult for many wheelchair users

There are only 85 wheelchair-accessible seats – well under the 200 needed to make it DDA-compliant. By comparison, Suncorp Stadium has 220 wheelchair positions, while Perth’s Optus stadium and Allianz Stadium in Sydney have 450 wheelchair spots.

The lack of seats also means disabled fans are restricted to only having one carer or family member sit with them.

Die-hard Richmond fans Linda and Bob McKenzie, who flew up from Melbourne to watch the Lions play the Tigers last weekend, said they had to purchase premiership lounge tickets because there were no wheelchair-accessible seats available.

“That was $550 each for us to even get to the game, I don’t know how many disabled seats there are but we couldn’t get them,” Mr McKenzie said.

Maree Sklavenitis, whose mother uses a wheelchair after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease in 2017, said tickets for disabled seats often sold out within 10 minutes of going on sale.

“If you don’t get in early, you don’t get a spot,” she said.

Under Gabba guidelines, only one carer is allowed to stay with a person in a wheelchair spot.

“Mum needs two carers and they only allow one person,” she said. “We have to sit all the way up there (behind her), so I wish there was more lenience of seats for that,” she said.

Ms Sklavenitis said the roof also didn’t completely cover wheelchair seats, so if it rains, those sitting there get wet.

Paralympian Karni Liddell said it felt like there was a segregation between able-bodied people and disabled people.

“I always think, we are so segregated when we are just in this wheelchair section, I can’t go to where my friends go because they have to sit away from me and its very isolating,” she said. “The fact that people think that me, Karni Liddell, a human being, only has a companion or carer to go with, it is extraordinarily ignorant and arrogant. I have a son, but if I take my son anywhere then I can’t have a carer or vice versa.”

The Quirk report also highlighted other failings including the inability for ambulances to access the field; smaller Medicabs can’t take players all the way to medical rooms because of narrow back-of-house corridors; there are no change areas or toilets for female athletes; facilities for catering staff are “second-rate” and moving food and drinks around the stadium “is challenging”; and a traffic nightmare is created at every event, with road closures mandatory to get spectators in and out of the venue safely.

Despite recommendations by Mr Quirk to build a new boutique Olympic stadium at Victoria Park for the 2032 Games, Premier Steven Miles said he would push ahead with a budget upgrade of the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre at Nathan.

As part of that proposal he said $1bn would be available for upgrading the Gabba and Suncorp Stadium. He acknowledged there “isn’t an option that delivers full accessibility, full disability access”, but pledged to work with disability advocacy groups”.

State Development and Infrastructure Minister Grace Grace said work was under way to determine how the stadium would better cater for people with a disability.

“The government has been acutely aware of accessibility issues at the Gabba for both patrons and athletes, and it was one of the driving forces behind the plans to upgrade the stadium,” she said.

“Two of the premier’s first commitments were to commission an independent Sports Review and pass legislation to introduce an independent Games Delivery Authority. Both of those things have now been done. Discussions on upgrades at the Gabba are underway and improvements to disability access will be a key part of those upgrades.”

Ms Liddell said people with disabilities should be consulted on how to improve the Gabba.

“Ninety-eight per cent of places aren’t accessible and the Gabba is just a reflection on most of society,” she said. “Unfortunately even people who are trying to do the right thing who follow the codes, they’re just so outdated and end up helping nobody.”

It is understood the Brisbane Lions have harboured concerns about accessibility at the Gabba, including for people with disabilities and for emergency services.

A Lions spokesman said it was no secret the Gabba required “significant funding to ensure it is fit for purpose and meets future needs for the city, hirers, and fans beyond 2032”.

“The venue’s issues are well documented including capacity restraints, accessibility challenges and issues with technology, connectivity and compliance,” they said.

A spokesman for Cricket Australia said they were still trying to ascertain how issues of concern would be addressed in future redevelopment plans.

“We have sought full details about the proposed Gabba upgrade from the Queensland Government to ensure the stadium meets the needs of all cricket participants and fans,” the spokesman said.

I don't think Miles really thinks it's a great idea no matter what his spin is otherwise it would have been a policy at some stage.
Just a vote getting exercise as he has nothing to lose at this stage.
Even though it is only a 6-month trial he can now put it to the LNP will they take it away if they get into power.

50 cents is a joke really. You would be better off making it free and not invest in technology to collect the small fare.
Save on wages also as you would not need ticket sellers at stations or anyone that actually checks on fare evaders.
You would also hope it reduces cars on the roads that can have a flow on effect in regard to future road spending.
Free PT is a Greens policy. Miles pinched it but couldn't resist making it worse by continuing to collect the fare, thereby keeping all the costs of fare collection and enforcement. I agree with you, better off going for the full measure than some bastardised version. But I'll take what I can get.

It would be if permanent, but isn't at this stage. 50 cents still requires a tap on/off so they continue to get patronage data the same way they currently do.
We're in the age of AI, there's surely a way to use that on buses and trains to get patronage data instead of relying on everyone to use a card.

dont know about brisbane, but the main reason bus patronage is so low in melbourne is because the service sucks. improving the service with the revenue from the higher fare value would be much better than a heavily discounted status quo imo.
The real answer to increasing the use of public transport would be to do both, I reckon. But adding more services is constrained by the number of bus drivers available. As I understand it, there's a shortage of drivers in every major city on the east coast (at least).

Last edited:
We're in the age of AI, there's surely a way to use that on buses and trains to get patronage data instead of relying on everyone to use a card.
Heh. I work in software development. The hype around AI is massively overblown in anything other than making up sentences summarising stuff already known (and my company is jumping on the stupid hype too). Anything other than building use cases on top of these new LLMs still require years of development or terrible false positives/negatives.

The buses and trains probably already have cameras monitoring everyone and they might even be high enough resolution to parse for people, but you'd need computing power, software, and all the rest of the overheads to actually implement that kind of monitoring.

All vs a 50 cent tap which requires no additional backend charges to process. For a six month trial (which will almost certainly be cancelled by the LNP when they win).

Heh. I work in software development. The hype around AI is massively overblown in anything other than making up sentences summarising stuff already known (and my company is jumping on the stupid hype too).
I've contracted for a few companies and the buzzword etc is amazing - my last company wanted to implement ai but didn't want cloud based email...

Heh. I work in software development. The hype around AI is massively overblown in anything other than making up sentences summarising stuff already known (and my company is jumping on the stupid hype too). Anything other than building use cases on top of these new LLMs still require years of development or terrible false positives/negatives.

The buses and trains probably already have cameras monitoring everyone and they might even be high enough resolution to parse for people, but you'd need computing power, software, and all the rest of the overheads to actually implement that kind of monitoring.
To me it's all worth it to get free fares.

All vs a 50 cent tap which requires no additional backend charges to process. For a six month trial (which will almost certainly be cancelled by the LNP when they win).
The 50 cents is unlikely to cover the cost of collecting the fares, not to mention the smart ticketing project that they're intending to implement. The cost of that implementation could have been avoided with free fares.

The LLM play to me is only getting heavily invested in IMO as it will replace search engines as we know them.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Google Bard(renamed Gemini) to start replacing their standard search engine. I mean they already provide a summarized result at the top of their search responses.

What has become of the Internet and it's infestation with ad based revenue is pretty disappointing to say the least.

dont know about brisbane, but the main reason bus patronage is so low in melbourne is because the service sucks. improving the service with the revenue from the higher fare value would be much better than a heavily discounted status quo imo.

Also, a lot of people don't pay in the inter city!

I don’t know why but I would have thought that bus fairs were a City Council thing?
Not State Government.
The State Government (TransLink, part of Dep of Transport & Main Roads) fund all public transport and run the ticketing system including Go Card

The BCC operates, run and, staff 1200 buses in the Brisbane City Council area under contract with TransLink.
The BCC also run the ferry services in the city and like the buses it would be under contract to operate the service.
I don't know for certain but i assume the State Government keep the fare monies collected on all public transport.

The last Bus contract i can find was in 2019 for 3 years
"A new contract signed by the Department of Transport and Main Roads and Brisbane City Council (BCC) has locked in funding for 1200 Brisbane buses operating on more than 420 routes.

Under the three year deal, the Palaszczuk Government will contribute $1 billion towards the cost of running Brisbane’s buses, about 75% of the contract's value.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the contract not only covered the cost of bus services but also funded performance, governance, planning measures and bus fleet replacements.

“The new contract will improve Brisbane’s bus services by putting a greater focus on real-time performance management and enable us to work with Council on network planning too,” Mr Bailey said."

Apart from the State government funding, the BCC does put their own funds into public transport as subsidies.
Below this year just prior to the election.

"The council said it was planning to increase its own spending on public transport subsidies from $192 million this financial year to $263 million by 2026-'27."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a 10 week USA jaunt last year and PT costs varied from city to city (listed in US $)

DC was the worst - 1 day unlimited $13 - 7 day $58 - mind you i love DC and so easy to get around the city
Boston 1 day $11 - 7 day $22.50
NY $2.90 per ride - 7 day $33
Syracuse 1 day $4
Las Vegas $4 per ride - 3 day pass $20
Denver 1 day $5.50
Chicago 1 day $3 - 3 day $15 - 7 days $20
Buffalo 1 day $5 - 7 days $25
Springfield MA - 1 day $3.50 - 7 days $15
Columbus $1.30 per ride - 7 days $15.50
LA $1.75 per ride (two hours of free transfers when you pay with a TAP card)
Philly $2 per ride - 1 day $6 - 3 days $15 - 7 days $25.50

Looking forward to 50c a ride. Parking is $12 a day so i take the train for $7 a day

I think Miles said on the news it was going to be free but 50c is a nominal fee so they make sure people still tap on and they can track how many people are actually using it.

I think it's a good idea as long as they don't just raise something like car rego to pay for it.

The LLM play to me is only getting heavily invested in IMO as it will replace search engines as we know them.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Google Bard(renamed Gemini) to start replacing their standard search engine. I mean they already provide a summarized result at the top of their search responses.

What has become of the Internet and it's infestation with ad based revenue is pretty disappointing to say the least.
Dead Internet Theory

I think Miles said on the news it was going to be free but 50c is a nominal fee so they make sure people still tap on and they can track how many people are actually using it.

I think it's a good idea as long as they don't just raise something like car rego to pay for it.
Usually, the money has to come from somewhere.
Most likely a few years down the track if the present Government stays in power.
If we have a change of Government which is likely they may either stop/slow down the proposed costs of living help, raise money by other means, do nothing or come up with another plan to get back to surplus.

The Qld. State Governments recent state finances have been very good even though they are on the nose with the public.
2021-22 Actual Surplus of $4.3 billion.
2022-23 Actual Surplus of $13.9 billion
2023-24 Budget update as of December 2023. Small Deficit of $138 million predicted. This is $2 billion better than projected in the 2023-24 budget. The final figure could be anything seeing 5 months figures still to be factored in.

The State government released this 6 days ago in regard to "cost of living" relief reflected in the next budget.

Queensland is forecast to record back-to-back deficits over the next two years, in what the state government says is a deliberate move to support those struggling with the cost of living.

The upcoming state budget will detail an expected $3 billion deficit for the 2024-25 financial year, before reducing to a deficit of less than $1 billion the following year.

And none of the $7 billion funds eventually coming from the State and Federal Budgets will be diverted towards cost of living as insinuated by Miles in media appearances. The LNP are not commenting other that a 100-day review.

If the cost for 50c public transport is around $300m a year then money well spent I say.

I spend 8.68 a day to get to and from work so after the six months I might have saved enough for a beer and pie at the footy.

Well the 50c public transport isn't going to help me. I do think it is a good policy however.

40mins via car or 2hr 43mins via Bus. Think I will take the car.

View attachment 2002924
I'm so lucky that I can walk or cycle it to just about everywhere I need to go on a regular basis.🚶‍♂️🚴‍♂️

It is bizarre, sort-sighted, stupid. Considering the government will this year collect at least $22bn in revenue, it is also the equivalent of a household with a $220,000 annual income deciding to spend $10,000 restumping the house – and losing a bedroom in the process – rather than spending $30,000 rebuilding the entire thing and ending up with a brand new bigger home that also now has a pool. It boggles the mind.

I love this analogy. Though based on the prices they used, it would have been better if they used cars and made reference to the $1.6b QSAC temporary stadium.

“It is bizarre, sort-sighted, stupid. Considering the government will this year collect at least $22bn in revenue, it is also the equivalent of a household with a $220,000 annual income deciding to spend $10,000 to fix rust in their petrol sedan car – and losing the windows in the process – rather than spending $30,000 buying a new hybrid SUV that also now has reduced fuel cost.

But then whilst your away for two weeks and your existing car sits unused, you also spend $16,000 to buy a second hand car to be used by a relative who is house sitting for you, before giving away parts of the car for free and only keeping the tyres.”

Last edited:
I don't think Miles really thinks it's a great idea no matter what his spin is otherwise it would have been a policy at some stage.
Just a vote getting exercise as he has nothing to lose at this stage.
Even though it is only a 6-month trial he can now put it to the LNP will they take it away if they get into power.

50 cents is a joke really. You would be better off making it free and not invest in technology to collect the small fare.
Save on wages also as you would not need ticket sellers at stations or anyone that actually checks on fare evaders.
You would also hope it reduces cars on the roads that can have a flow on effect in regard to future road spending.

You’re right about it may as well being free but I don’t think it’s wise to do that straight away and possibly lose all the infrastructure already there.

If the six month trial is incredibly successful (which I really hope and think it will) then I’d hope whichever party is in come February scraps fares and save having to update any more machines.

I love this analogue. Though based on the prices they used, it would have been better if they used cars.

“It is bizarre, sort-sighted, stupid. Considering the government will this year collect at least $22bn in revenue, it is also the equivalent of a household with a $220,000 annual income deciding to spend $10,000 to fix some dents in their petrol sedan car – and losing the windows in the process – rather than spending $30,000 buying a new hybrid SUV that also now has reduced fuel cost.

Whilst also spending $16,000 to buy a second hand car that a visiting relative can use for two weeks before giving it away, instead of letting the relative use the new hybrid SUV. It boggles the mind.”

The same logic that has us paying tolls for the Gateway Bridge and tunnels making people add to city congestion if they want to save their money instead of the other way around.

We want people taking public transport in and through the city and to drive around it otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back