MarkMiller93

Debutant
Sep 22, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
He's the best player in the game, its just that simple, there is nothing that gary can't do! he will defend teams best players, he will goal from 50 out, he will get all in their mugs, he will do whatever it takes, he is the most complete footballer in the game today bar-none. He has an assassin's mentality. I said this, i said this when he got traded out and i'll repeat it again, who's starving more for an AFL premiership more than gary ablett? There is no-one. This is what separates gary from the pack... more than gary ablett? There is no-one!

I think he must be considered the best player of all time or at least neck and neck with his dad. They were/are both way above any of their contemporaries.

Week-in-week-out he is a class above everyone else. I see him do things on a weekly basis that no one else is capable of doing.

Last week he ran between two opposition players who were easily within tackling distance and neither of them even bothered to try.

In tonight's game some Essendon player had the ball and I just knew he would handball it straight to Gary to give him his 40th possession, which he did. He is like the chess player Bobby Fischer who was always thinking several moves ahead.

I'll look forward to the Carlton v GCS game to see if Carrazzo can keep Ablett to 12 touches. My guess is that Ratten would consider 34 a win.

I was saying to a mate at half -time that maybe he just looks so much better because he doesn't have Bartel Selwood Chapman and Johnson fighting him for possessions. :p
It's just a fantastic honor to have him as our Club captain and to be able to go to Metricon and see him run out for us and be able to cheer for him.

best player in the league by a country mile

I think it was last week when I saw him grab the ball midair (under pressure) and send it to a team mate all in the one movement.
Was ****ing beautiful.
HE HAS THE VISION OF S. BLACK!!!:eek:
Can't wait to see us take you boys on at the Gabba next week especially after your very impressive effort tonight.

He is great, no doubt. Whenever I watch Judd play a massive game, I think he is the best ever. Then I watch Pendlebury and think he is the best on form at the moment. But watching Ablett... he is something else.

I still can't really separate Judd and Ablett though. Judd is amazing when you look at his entire career. He was an absolute gun at West Coast, most explosive outside mid in the game. Then redeveloped himself into the best hardball get player in the league by a mile at Carlton. His redevelopment was so successful that he won a second brownlow playing a different type of role.

Ablett is a lot flashier and has a bigger bag of tricks than Judd these days, probably a little more consistent too, but Judd's career and sheer influence at Carlton can't be denied either.

I suppose it is apples and oranges. Do we really need to say one is better than the other? When they are both as good as Ablett and Judd, I think trying to rank them starts to become a little trivial.

Feel spoilt just watching him play every week.

OFf76.gif

He is great, no doubt. Whenever I watch Judd play a massive game, I think he is the best ever. Then I watch Pendlebury and think he is the best on form at the moment. But watching Ablett... he is something else.

I still can't really separate Judd and Ablett though. Judd is amazing when you look at his entire career. He was an absolute gun at West Coast, most explosive outside mid in the game. Then redeveloped himself into the best hardball get player in the league by a mile at Carlton. His redevelopment was so successful that he won a second brownlow playing a different type of role.

Ablett is a lot flashier and has a bigger bag of tricks than Judd these days, probably a little more consistent too, but Judd's career and sheer influence at Carlton can't be denied either.

I suppose it is apples and oranges. Do we really need to say one is better than the other? When they are both as good as Ablett and Judd, I think trying to rank them starts to become a little trivial.

I'm supposed to be his sponsor and provide reviews of his performances throughout the year. What's the point. Just read the umpteen threads posted by everyone else about his magnificence.

A poster on the main board made an excellent comment with regards to what separates Gaz from Judd and the rest, something along the lines of "Judd grimaces when he exerts energy to do the spectacular. With Gary he does it effortlessly".

It's hard to compare the greats from different eras, but Gaz Jr is the only player I've seen in 33 years of watching football who I would say has beaten this game. He has mastered the sport of Australian Football. It's like watching a Jedi in action, or Neo when he took control of the Matrix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time Judd took a Mark of the Day contender ?

During the elimination final against Essendon in 2011. Not that that is a valid measure of a player anyway. Some of the greats never took big marks. Guys like Greg Williams, I doubt he had taken a speccy. Did Voss?

Judd has polled 45 more Brownlow votes than Gaz as well. It is easy to take a certain stat like most goals, votes or disposals and claim that means that one player is better than another, but stats don't tell the full story.

It is also easy to forget how good a player has been over a career when you have just seen a trio of performances like that which Gaz has put in. Gaz may be better, but I don't think it is right to judge. They are different types of players who impact games in different ways.

I am happy to just say they are the two best midfielders I have ever seen. Peter Matera is up there too.

During the elimination final against Essendon in 2011. Not that that is a valid measure of a player anyway. Some of the greats never took big marks. Guys like Greg Williams, I doubt he had taken a speccy. Did Voss?

Judd has polled 45 more Brownlow votes than Gaz as well. It is easy to take a certain stat like most goals, votes or disposals and claim that means that one player is better than another, but stats don't tell the full story.

It is also easy to forget how good a player has been over a career when you have just seen a trio of performances like that which Gaz has put in. Gaz may be better, but I don't think it is right to judge. They are different types of players who impact games in different ways.

I am happy to just say they are the two best midfielders I have ever seen. Peter Matera is up there too.

Brownlow votes aren't a guide either.

Gary Ablett Senior once kicked 10 goals from Full Forward and didn't get a Brownlow vote. John Barnes got the 3 votes for getting 19 hit outs.

Everyone judges the Abletts against themselves not against other players. Remeber everyone saying Ablett would have an impact because "he wouldn't have the big bodied midfielders blocking for him". You don't hear that one anymore.

Brownlow votes aren't a guide either.

Gary Ablett Senior once kicked 10 goals from Full Forward and didn't get a Brownlow vote. John Barnes got the 3 votes for getting 19 hit outs.

Everyone judges the Abletts against themselves not against other players. Remeber everyone saying Ablett would have an impact because "he wouldn't have the big bodied midfielders blocking for him". You don't hear that one anymore.

Which is what I said in my post. In the very next sentence.

My two cents after seeing Judd first hand the last 4 years.

Judds first 5 seasons outshone Abletts. Since then Ablett has been better. Judd better inside, Ablett better outside (better kick, especially for goal, especially from 50m). However, the physical battering Judd has received since being the inside player at Carlton can't be underestimated IMO in terms of impact on his outside performance.

Line them up, school yard style, the first picked would be Ablett for me at this moment in time. THe way he hunts the ball and is so hungry for every possesion is great to watch.

Love them both.

Imagine them in the same team. (Bring back State of Origin!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Gary Ablett Jr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back