gay marriage postal vote.

which way are you voting in the gat marriage debate?

• yes

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • no

Votes: 36 14.6%
  • wont cast a vote

Votes: 33 13.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
So which way are you voting? not sure yet or definately have a strong view?

Im still undecided. I definately wont vote no. But Im just not sure if I should vote yes or just not vote at all. Ive been very disapointed with those advocating the yes vote. They just arent putting forward the reasons why I should vote yes. I.e what exactly are the rights that married people get that are denied to non married couples. This should be the first thing they should be stating and they arent.

Anyway what are your thoughts? do you have strong views either way? Which way does bigfooty posters lean?

edit: ok ive done typo and called it gat. cant seem to fix this.

So which way are you voting? not sure yet or definately have a strong view?

Im still undecided. I definately wont vote no. But Im just not sure if I should vote yes or just not vote at all. Ive been very disapointed with those advocating the yes vote. They just arent putting forward the reasons why I should vote yes. I.e what exactly are the rights that married people get that are denied to non married couples. This should be the first thing they should be stating and they arent.

Anyway what are your thoughts? do you have strong views either way? Which way does bigfooty posters lean?

edit: ok ive done typo and called it gat. cant seem to fix this.

The right to be recognised as a legitimate couple in the eyes of the government is a pretty big part ofo why many want equal marriage. A big part of the demand for equal marriage is the ideological factor. As long as gay people are denied their right to marry the people they choose to there is a major stigma against them that is endorsed by our government. Having a legitimised marriage gives a lot more standing when it comes to things like buying a house or adopting children.

Last edited:

Voting yes - OP has the logic completely the wrong way around. When you are restricting the rights of certain people based on sexuality the onus IS ON YOU to show why that should be the case.

There is no valid reason to deny this basic right to all.

Yes

And to answer the OP, it's equal rights. When there partner is sick they are not next of kin, when they die they are not next of kin, if they die without a will they are not recognised as next of kin

But the short of it all - they don't ask to be gay and they deserve the right to be treated exactly the same as a heterosexual couple

The hypocrisy of those using parts of the bible to present their cases but ignoring parts that doesn't work for their situation sickens me

I'm considering responding no because that's the worst possible result for the Liberal Party, and ssm will be legal in Australia within two years, which just demonstrates what a f***ing colossal waste of time and money this whole survey thing is anyway

The plebiscite is a complete waste of time and gives the no movement a voice it frankly doesn't deserve. I hate that and I know several gay people who are already affected by some of what they're hearing. I hate that even more.

Having said that, I will vote yes without a second thought.

Looking purely at the legislative implications, the issue might more correctly be described as "divorce equality".

For the majority, it will make no difference.
It will make a difference to two main minority groups: gay people, and those who really struggle with the notion of gay marriage.

I guess you just have to weigh up the relative benefits and costs each of those groups will see.

The no campaign has been a bit weak for me. Focusing on just about anything but the actual topic at hand, they seem to be appealing only to the most fearful conservative. A boy might wear a dress. A man will marry a donkey. I don't like the look of those teenagers and their rap music. Tony Abbott's nebulous association of not liking political correctness to a no vote.

The restrained Yes campaign has been a lot better, citing the non apocalyptic aftermath in places like Ireland, NZ and the USA; and focusing on the proposed law change and not other things.
They have pushed the human rights angle very hard, at times too far IMO. Australia is still a very lucky country and when it comes to human rights we all do really, really, well compared to most. I guess it's easy for me to say, I can kiss or hold my partner's hand in public without thinking twice about it; I haven't lived what gay people have lived. It's a technicality, but I think the law changes are insignificant, but people are hoping that this law change will be a totem for a big shift in public attitude.

A very small change in law, that for some, is big on symbolism. I believe: If it feels good, (and you are not hurting anyone) do it.

Yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any kind of referendum-type topic has 4 voting groups:

Yes
Sure, why not - what difference does it make?
Nah, why change what isn't broken?
No

I reckon the 'no' camp are trying to convince the middle ground folk with arguments that only the rusted on no voters will buy.

I did find this very funny in response to NO advert

View attachment 410266

Yeah love it.
I played Game of Life with some kids. The five year old boy got married and choose a boy saying "I'm gay". The kid didn't particularly exhibit any gay tendencies (whatever they may be, it really isn't the point) but just thought it would be fun, like picking a different colour. The older kids kind of laughed, not at the gay bit, just at this other kid's carry on. Then we just got on with the game.

The point of my story is that to these kids, it really wasn't a big deal. As they grow older, they'll come to know it isn't as simple as choosing a favourite colour; indeed it's not a choice at all but a discovery. But I think this seemingly innocent experience as kids will make their and their friends' journey of sexual discovery so much less anxious or painful. They won't carry the same baggage us older folk had.

Any kind of referendum-type topic has 4 voting groups:

Yes
Sure, why not - what difference does it make?
Nah, why change what isn't broken?
No

I reckon the 'no' camp are trying to convince the middle ground folk with arguments that only the rusted on no voters will buy.

Yeah I think that is their big mistake.

And honestly, if you do think gender and sexual identity are topics too mature for young kids, fair enough. I'll give people with these views the time of day and listen because I at least think it has some plausibility and I am no expert on educating children.

But. Guess what?

We are not voting on that! If you don't like it, take it up with curriculum or the Minister for education!!!!!

There's also the real possibility, as outlined at the Press Club yesterday by the ANU con law professor that the High Court will rule against the government, and all this effort will be for nowt.
This is my preferred option.

Rule against the plebi.... I mean survey.... Or against SSM altogether? Or basing a legislative decision on the survey?

The other day out of curiousity I asked my 60-odd year old mother how she was going to vote. She is non-religious, been divorced, had worked with/friends with many gay people and spent quite a few years in the late 80's as a nurse for HIV/Aids patients. My assumption was of course she would be a "Yes" vote.

"Oh I dunno, I just think some things should be left sacred".

I hope I'm wrong but I think people need to prepare themselves for the "No" vote to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

gay marriage postal vote.

Back