Game Day GDT Round 23 Melbourne vs GWS MCG @ 3:20 AEST-One Giant Leap For Demonkind

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
upload_2018-8-25_23-31-24.png

upload_2018-8-25_23-32-9.png

For Melbourne viewers

upload_2018-8-25_23-32-56.png

For Sydney

upload_2018-8-25_23-34-18.png

upload_2018-8-25_23-35-7.png

SUMMARY
After Melbourne secured its long-awaited finals berth with a 17-point victory over West Coast last weekend, its match-up against the Giants could prove vital in determining the order of the top eight. A Demons loss could see the teams face off in week one of the finals at Spotless Stadium, while if Melbourne defeats GWS Simon Goodwin's side could lock in a home final potentially against Geelong. Either team has the chance to push into the top four, should Fremantle cause an upset against Collingwood. The Giants could also finish in the top four if the Swans and Hawks draw and GWS makes up enough percentage points in the process. Needless to say, despite knowing they will feature in September, both GWS and Melbourne have plenty to play for.

WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Sunday, August 26, 3.20pm
TV AND RADIO: Click here for the broadcast guide

LAST FIVE MEETINGS
R20, 2017, GWS Giants 14.13 (97) d Melbourne 10.2 (62) at UNSW Canberra Oval
R1, 2016, Melbourne 12.8 (80) d GWS Giants 10.18 (78) at the MCG
R23, 2015, Melbourne 15.13 (103) d GWS Giants 11.11 (77) at Etihad Stadium
R2, 2015, GWS Giants 15.11 (101) d Melbourne 8.8 (56) at UNSW Canberra Oval
R21, 2014, GWS Giants 15.8 (98) d Melbourne 3.16 (34) at the MCG

THE SIX POINTS

1. The Giants blew Melbourne away in the first quarter when they faced off in round 20 last season, kicking 8.6 to 3.0 to effectively end the contest. GWS star Josh Kelly polled the three Brownlow votes with 27 disposals and three goals.

2. Melbourne is the highest-ranked team for scoring, inside 50s, marks inside 50, contested possessions and centre clearances. The Giants are the highest-ranked clearance team in the AFL.

3. The Giants have had the better of the Demons recently, winning four of the past six matches and have been comfortable winners by an average margin of 44 points.

4. Melbourne has won more quarters this season than any other side with 57 and the most final quarters with 15. GWS has won 48 quarters and 12 final terms.

5. Another win and Melbourne will have 14 for the season, its most in a home-and-away season since 2004. The Giants will be aiming for 14 wins or more for the third straight season.

6. Melbourne ruckman Max Gawn was the highest-rated player in the competition in the Schick AFL Player Ratingslast round, compiling a career-high 30.4 points.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR…
Greater Western Sydney ruckman Rory Lobb is the man in charge of leading the Giants' ruck department and he will be up against it with Max Gawn standing at the opposite end of the centre circles. It will be a crucial match-up in the context of the game.

PREDICTION: Melbourne by 24 points

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/23/melb-v-gws

Do not be ask for streams on GDT. You know the drill by now.

Our final game in the season before we embark on our first voyage in 12 years to the mystical place called Septemberland

Lets Hit it with some style!!!

Opportunity to go 14-8 which would be our best season since 04. The difference being in 04 we fell into the finals after being 14-4 and on top of the ladder we lost our last four of the home and away then got eliminated by Essendon. A bye weekend would have come in handy as we would have been able to get Neitz back. This year we can go into the finals with winning form and a pre finals bye allows us to get viney back. Let's take this opportunity.

A win at the MCG would be a very nice think goming into finals.

Couple of individual player things to keep an eye on today (if we're not stressed about just getting the win):
  • Clarry needs 35 touches to average 30 disposals per game, would be the first MFC player in history to do so
  • Gawn needs 37 hit outs to be the first player in history to have 1000 hitouts in the regular season
  • TMac needs 5 to be the first player since Neitz in 2006 to kick 50 goals in a season for the MFC
Also:
  • A big game from Gawn could put him in a very, very strong position for the Brownlow.
  • I can't find the Round 22 results for the AFLCA award but it's possible Gawn is within striking distance of that too. Mitchell wouldn't have votes from last night, and it'll be a joke if Cripps got votes when they lost by 100 points (even though he played very well)

Last edited:
I’ll be amongst the MCC members today... so go easy on the few of us.
Best of luck. Hopefully no injuries for both teams.
If we don’t make it I hope you guys all the way.

Yes hopefully no injuries for both teams and a goal fest to boot (with Melbourne winning of course).

Really hate waiting until Sunday for Melbourne to play is the only negative I have.

I’m looking forward to watching Crazy Frosty. I love the chaos he creates every time he’s involved in the play. I’m certain that Goody has given up on instructing him to play a certain way. As soon as Frosty gets the ball he’s going to start bolting directly towards our goals at a hundred miles an hour. He might have good intentions to play to team rules but when he gets the ball it’s like a dog seeing a cat.

[*]I can't find the Round 22 results for the AFLCA award but it's possible Gawn is within striking distance of that too. Mitchell wouldn't have votes from last night, and it'll be a joke if Cripps got votes when they lost by 100 points (even though he played very well)
[/LIST]
I think they don’t publish the last two rounds so there’s some semblance of suspense in the announcement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Couple of individual player things to keep an eye on today (if we're not stressed about just getting the win):
  • Clarry needs 35 touches to average 30 disposals per game, would be the first MFC player in history to do so
  • Gawn needs 37 hit outs to be the first player in history to have 1000 hitouts in the regular season
  • TMac needs 5 to be the first player since Neitz in 2006 to kick 50 goals in a season for the MFC
Also:
  • A big game from Gawn could put him in a very, very strong position for the Brownlow.
  • I can't find the Round 22 results for the AFLCA award but it's possible Gawn is within striking distance of that too. Mitchell wouldn't have votes from last night, and it'll be a joke if Cripps got votes when they lost by 100 points (even though he played very well)
They keep the coaches votes secret for the last 2 rounds for some reason.

Edit already pointed out sorry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hannan out JKH in. Bad bad bad.
giphy.gif

Alright you miserable campaigners, it's ****ing game day! How good is that?!?!

Remember win lose or draw WHO GIVES A SHIT because we're in the finals baby!!

Can't wait to get to the G and support my team! Come say hello to your old mate Toumpas, I'll be the massive fat prick in the members singing "Grand
Old Flag" and swigging from a cheap arse hipflask :D :D :D :D whoo hooo!

SO PUMPED FOR TODAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back