News Geelong’s list boss Stephen Wells to take some time away from his role

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night on footy class ... there was something mentioned about him not being overly happy about trading away our picks but they were not definitive.
They weren’t because it’s false.

What was interesting was reading that he was stood down last year when covid hit. Troy Selwood wasn’t stood down; but Stephen was. That tells me that Stephen wells has been leapfrogged structurally at the cats. I can also tell you (please don’t ask for a source because I won’t be giving one) that Wells was annoyed that he was overruled on recent early picks - he didn’t want a couple of particular young players who’ve selected and Selwood and Mackie did. So where this is at IMO is that Stephen’s realised that footy clubs are only loyal when they see you as having value to them, and the minute they don’t see you as being crucial, they’ll drop you like a bad habit (in his case stand you down during covid)

Watch for him to finish the year part time, and then turn up at another club as ist manager next year.

What was interesting was reading that he was stood down last year when covid hit. Troy Selwood wasn’t stood down; but Stephen was. That tells me that Stephen wells has been leapfrogged structurally at the cats. I can also tell you (please don’t ask for a source because I won’t be giving one) that Wells was annoyed that he was overruled on recent early picks - he didn’t want a couple of particular young players who’ve selected and Selwood and Mackie did. So where this is at IMO is that Stephen’s realised that footy clubs are only loyal when they see you as having value to them, and the minute they don’t see you as being crucial, they’ll drop you like a bad habit (in his case stand you down during covid)

Watch for him to finish the year part time, and then turn up at another club as ist manager next year.

Yeah - but like Neil Balme said mate - when you are at a football club ( and he has been at several and very successfully ) its got to end at some stage - your not their for ever - and Balmes attitude was you just move on - all good

Wells has had a very long run at Geel in his position - it has to end at some stage

Cheers. I hope he got flown up for the grand final. I know everyone's time comes eventually be he at least deserved that.

Hutchy knows what's going on at the cats. He'll say things like it's a rumour when he knows for sure.
I can say with great confidence that this is one occasion where he is wide of the mark.

I can say with great confidence that this is one occasion where he is wide of the mark.

I dont think it was Hutchy as much as Sam McClure.. but without watching it back... my impression was not that he said something specifically happened ... but there was a vibe of unhappiness. If he turns up somewhere else then that give that vibe validation.

You sound confident on your information. Are you saying that vibe is totally wrong... that he totally content and not unhappy at all and that his walking away is just him being sick of the job?

Last edited:

Be interesting to know which early pick where he did not have the final say on. and who he would have preferred. Perhaps Georgiades before Cooper Stephens?

I dont think it was Hutchy as much as Sam McClure.. but without watching it back... my impression was not that he said something specifically happened ... but there was a vibe of unhappiness. If he turns up somewhere else then that give that vibe validation.

You sound confident on your information. Are you saying that vibe is totally wrong... that he totally content and not unhappy at all and that his walking away is just him being sick of the job?

Wells was visibly unhappy about paying picks for Cameron, he believed we'd get him as a FA and had structured the salary and drafting around that fact.
I believe, and this is 5th hand kinda stuff so take with as much salt as possible, that Wells was bitterly disappointed that GWS took advantage of him even after the goodwill he showed over the years. That good deeds don't get rewarded.
Again, salt as required however.

I've posted elsewhere previously of my belief that there is something 'wrong' about the club and playing group atm.

No sources, no info, just a vibe I've felt from listening and watching. Something just doesn't seem right. People don't seem happy. Imo.

Now we have two posters here, both confident in their source/s, with what appears to be polar opposite information.

Not everyone is singing from the same page it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it is the case here but Grand Final losses can be very damaging to clubs. I think Wells is genuinely just tired.

Though there may be a broader malaise at the club. Worked so hard for so long to get that Premiership and it all came to naught.

I would not be shocked if Scott took a huge offer from Collingwood or Carlton next year. I think Collingwood has always liked him.

If Geelong don't make the finals or have a messy exit from the Finals (the latter looks most likely outcome to me), I could see a situation where both parties just say, you know what, I think we have taken this project as far as it can go. Lets look at something else.

I’ll send you a PM mate.

I'm not sure why there is and was such a big deal being made out for the picks we traded for Cameron. We absolutely robbed West Coast for Tim Kelly. Turning a speculative mature aged player, who we drafted with pick 24, into all of those picks within a two year timeframe, was just ridiculous and we got very lucky there. Given most of what was traded for Cameron came from the Kelly trade, I really don't see the issue with it.

With all those picks we had, there was no way in hell GWS were going to let him walk for a compo pick. They simply exercised their rights within the rules, and I'd hope we would do the same. Clubs have to look after themselves. We made the right call and we still have some good picks this year to work with. You just don't let a player of Cameron's ilk get away when he says he wants in. We're lucky he chose us - clubs like Pies, Hawks etc would have been desperate for him..

I'm not sure why there is and was such a big deal being made out for the picks we traded for Cameron. We absolutely robbed West Coast for Tim Kelly. Turning a speculative mature aged player, who we drafted with pick 24, into all of those picks within a two year timeframe, was just ridiculous and we got very lucky there. Given most of what was traded for Cameron came from the Kelly trade, I really don't see the issue with it.

With all those picks we had, there was no way in hell GWS were going to let him walk for a compo pick. They simply exercised their rights within the rules, and I'd hope we would do the same. Clubs have to look after themselves. We made the right call and we still have some good picks this year to work with. You just don't let a player of Cameron's ilk get away when he says he wants in. We're lucky he chose us - clubs like Pies, Hawks etc would have been desperate for him..
Be as that may be , clubs still have to balance it with their future relationship with the club trade wise. The way that GWS played it by leaking everything leading up to the Grand Finals and refusing the compo which was better than what we had to give just leaves a very bad impression given that JC gave 10-11 years services at GWS and should had been treated more fairly.

They really went to town to portray themselves as victims and tried to bend Geelong over as much as possible.

It was more McClure I think .

Happy about the trade? Who knows... but I could imagine him not being totally in love with being forced to trade anything.. spend so much time on studying the kids to then just have to trade it all away.

I do not believe that just because SW oversaw the deal that he wanted to do it... he would have instructions ... some sort of get it done instruction.

Someone in his position could hardly just walk away from the trade if those above him have made it clear that the deal is more important than the picks.
If Wells is this god like genius people on bigfooty think he is who uses his picks to find diamonds in the rough
Why the hell would you give away picks or trade away picks for old guys?
Wouldn't you want to give him as many picks as possibly?

If Wells is this god like genius people on bigfooty think he is who uses his picks to find diamonds in the rough

Historically Wells has done a good job, but his best was when we also had some earlier picks, and as we caught between contending, not dropping, using the modern methods of player recruitment including FA and trade.. we rarely have those early picks or even a group of early picks, and we do not try to trade for picks, we trade for older more known commodities.

I do not think he is a deity or has some sort omnipresence... the draft is a que and by the time we get to the front all the best product, the most tempting enticing product is usually gone.. so the further back in the que we go the harder it is to find a tasty morsel. He has mostly done well with the picks we have had.. but we have not had a pick inside 10 since 2006... and most of the best young kids seem to come from this number. With a good eye and time we can often find the right player to develop and have done so with the likes of Parfitt or Guthrie etc .... so I dont not think its about as many picks as possible , often Id have been happier to add just one top end kid and a couple of late picks.

SW is only half the equation ... developing the kids is just as important

Last edited:
I do not think he is a deity or has some sort omnipresence... the draft is a que and by the time we get to the front all the best product, the most tempting enticing product is usually gone.. so the further back in the que we go the harder it is to find a tasty morsel. He has mostly done well with the picks we have had.. but we have not had a pick inside 10 since 2006... and most of the best young kids seem to come from this number. With a good eye and time we can often find the right player to develop and have done so with the likes of Parfitt or Guthrie etc .... so I dont not think its about as many picks as possible , often Id have been happier to add just one top end kid and a couple of late picks.

SW is only half the equation ... developing the kids is just as important

True, but we never had that many to begin with. Even going back to 1999 we've only had 4 picks in total from within the top 10 (Corey, Bartel, Mackie, and Tenace). It was a point of pride for plenty of Geelong fans that unlikely especially Carlton, St.Kilda, and Hawthorn we built a great team without very early or priority picks. Not one.

And while we definitely didn't drop that badly at any point (haven't finished bottom 4 since 1986), he still managed to find Kelly, Chapman, Ling, Enright, Johnson etc. from way outside the perceived early pick range. It seems that plenty on here don't seem to think that's even possible now. At the same club, with the same recruiter.

Agree completely on development too. Vital.

I've posted elsewhere previously of my belief that there is something 'wrong' about the club and playing group atm.

No sources, no info, just a vibe I've felt from listening and watching. Something just doesn't seem right. People don't seem happy. Imo.

Now we have two posters here, both confident in their source/s, with what appears to be polar opposite information.

Not everyone is singing from the same page it seems.

I don't think that's new. Alarms for me started going off when Caddy was traded. Not just that he was traded (and was under contract), but that on a Monday Selwood said he was a required player, three days later he was gone. You'd think some kind of consistency in communication would have been agreed beforehand.

Umm.........yes!

There will always be the odd trade that's worth looking at, and sometimes, absolutely worth doing (i.e. Dangerfield, and Ottens before him). But you're not going to build a core group of potential 200+ gamers if they're 28 and half-broken before you get them.

Unless they want to come home of course. That makes all the difference.

I don't think that's new. Alarms for me started going off when Caddy was traded. Not just that he was traded (and was under contract), but that on a Monday Selwood said he was a required player, three days later he was gone. You'd think some kind of consistency in communication would have been agreed beforehand.
Alarms started ringing for me when we got Caddy. He wasn't that good at the GC.
But yeah that trade period he left was some sort of goat rodeo for sure.
Then Richmond win the flag. Embarrassing.

No i think you are reading too much into the Caddy trade - it was just a fluke/unusual set of circumstances how that all panned out - and i dont think you can blame anyone at Geel

I have posted this before - but Caddy and his older brother ( who actually played a couple of games for Richmond ) were at an AFL final as spectators - when the game finished they just happened to bump into Brendan Gale ( who Caddys brother had played with at Rich ) . So the 3 of them are having a bit of a yack - and Caddys brother said to Gale - look Josh is restless - hed love to play for the Tigers - it was a throw away line but he said it - and it was way before anything actually happened

Then Deledio out of the blue after years of frustration playing at Rich - and because his parents live at Ocean Grove - said i want a transfer to Geel . At that point or a bit after - Gale went to Rich recruiting officer - and mentioned the conversation he had with the 2 Caddy bros - and thus Rich requested Caddy in the possible Deledio trade - that was the reason

It was just a fluke set of circumstances how that all ended up

Remove this Banner Ad

News Geelong’s list boss Stephen Wells to take some time away from his role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back