News Geelong’s list boss Stephen Wells to take some time away from his role

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the AFL article, Wells has stepped down but the club believe he'll return to the club to work in some capacity and we'll have 4 staff stepping into his shoes covering the various aspects of his role
You telling me that wells was doing 4 persons work at the same time?:think:

Thanks Wellsy.

Not possible to list it all but bring in Harry as a mature aged and giving a shot to Pods who everyone passed on for a decade. Strong & critical moves. Listening to Scarlo to bring in Tom Stewart.

Still got a good head of hair too.
Had some convos with him a few times about 20 years ago. Genuine guy.

I think Tommy Stewart might have been a win for him too.

Only asking a question. Not saying it is or isn't... but does anyone think S Wells him to take some time away from his role has question marks against it? Like is there more to this story then we will know :shrug:

Only asking a question. Not saying it is or isn't... but does anyone think S Wells him to take some time away from his role has question marks against it? Like is there more to this story then we will know :shrug:

Yeah. The fact he didn’t step down at the end of this season, or last season, something has happened or changed IMO. Hopefully he is okay. The man is a legend of this club and we just can’t thank him enough for his significant contribution.

Am I overthinking this, or is this really weird?

The man is stepping down at a very strange time of the year extremely suddenly with zero acknowledgment from the Cats.

Seriously, there is absolutely nothing on the website or on the socials, and have any of the players said anything either? Not to mention Scotty has been acting weird and sort of manic in his press conferences the past week. It is unsettling to see that man smile. I've had a few non Geelong supporters text me to ask if he his losing the plot, but maybe that is looking for drama when none exists?

Like, is there some sort of scandal on the cards, or is Wellsy stepping back due to mental health reasons in which case I understand the want to respect his privacy. To put it simply I hope everyone and everything is okay.

The club just have a weird feeling about them this year. I feel a storm is coming, but I have nothing to base that on. Just a bad feeling.

You telling me that wells was doing 4 persons work at the same time?:think:

He probably oversaw what the team was doing but was involved in every aspect of list management & recruitment

For now at least, seems they are going to split the job so that there's a small team looking after the clubs list, player contracts etc, and then a small team that is focussing on recruitment & hoping that's more geared towards draftees rather than recruiting from other teams - don't actually mind that idea, especially if we have a couple of staff focused on the recruitment/draft period

But it's bloody impressive what he's done at the club over the past 37 years, how hands on & involved his been

The man is stepping down at a very strange time of the year extremely suddenly with zero acknowledgment from the Cats.

Seriously, there is absolutely nothing on the website or on the socials, and have any of the players said anything either?
Not to mention Scotty has been acting weird and sort of manic in his press conferences the past week. It is unsettling to see that man smile. I've had a few non Geelong supporters text me to ask if he his losing the plot, but maybe that is looking for drama when none exists?

Like, is there some sort of scandal on the cards, or is Wellsy stepping back due to mental health reasons in which case I understand the want to respect his privacy. To put it simply I hope everyone and everything is okay.

The club just have a weird feeling about them this year. I feel a storm is coming, but I have nothing to base that on. Just a bad feeling.

What is the club meant to say though - as from one of the articles yesterday "It's understood officials at the Cats believe Wells will return to a working capacity in the club and still form part of the list management team, albeit in a reduced capacity compared to previous years."

If he's currently taking a break to consider his options, I'm not sure there's really that much the club can say "For now Wells is taking a break and having a well earned holiday. We wish him the best during this time and expect him to be back in some capacity in X weeks/months"?

There's been nothing to suggest that he's retired or not going to return to the club, so maybe they are respecting his privacy during this time while he works out the next step and what he wants to be doing, and once there's clarity around that they will make an official announcement. If this happened in Sept/Oct just ahead of the trade period it would be a lot worse time of the year and when you'd want to be hearing from the club, but for now I'd suggest the club & Wells have other things they are focused on and will deal with this in due course

Seriously, there is absolutely nothing on the website or on the socials, and have any of the players said anything either? Not to mention Scotty has been acting weird and sort of manic in his press conferences the past week. It is unsettling to see that man smile. I've had a few non Geelong supporters text me to ask if he his losing the plot, but maybe that is looking for drama when none exists?

Apparently this time of year is their quieter time. Before it ramps up in the second half of the year. Many recruiters take breaks at this time of year.

Might also be a result of covid football department cutbacks. I'm pretty sure most clubs had to lose some staff from the recruiting departments, which has probably left the people remaining a higher work load. Maybe the workload is taking it's toll, and he is getting towards retirement age, so maybe he is just pondering whether he still has it in him to keep going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you are overthinking the situation and the advice I would give us all is to stay in our lanes and respect Stephens right to privacy.

He is an absolute legend of the Club and in speaking with people who know him there is no nicer guy in football.
Speculating and gossip is a blight on society , we don't have a right to know the ins and outs of everything no matter how "entitled" we may feel.

As Bomber would say "Leave him alone , all of you"

Nah if you're a list manager this isn't the worst time. You're backing in the last batch of draftees by not leaving immediately and giving enough space to the new guy that he owns the next period. It's not abrupt either. He been dropping hints for ages.

Last night on footy class ... there was something mentioned about him not being overly happy about trading away our picks but they were not definitive.

Last night on footy class ... there was something mentioned about him not being overly happy about trading away our picks but they were not definitive.
Was it Hutchy floating some ideas out there? Or sound like it actually came from a source at the club?
I would’ve thought that was actually Wells who traded the picks. So I’m not sure who he’d be upset with.

Was it Hutchy floating some ideas out there? Or sound like it actually came from a source at the club?
I would’ve thought that was actually Wells who traded the picks. So I’m not sure who he’d be upset with.
They're all group decisions. Not out of the question that Wells could be over ruled if he's slated for imminent retirement anyway. It's the kind of decision he probably needs to give the opportunity to the new guy to make in that situation

It was more McClure I think .

Happy about the trade? Who knows... but I could imagine him not being totally in love with being forced to trade anything.. spend so much time on studying the kids to then just have to trade it all away.

I do not believe that just because SW oversaw the deal that he wanted to do it... he would have instructions ... some sort of get it done instruction.

Someone in his position could hardly just walk away from the trade if those above him have made it clear that the deal is more important than the picks.

They're all group decisions. Not out of the question that Wells could be over ruled if he's slated for imminent retirement anyway. It's the kind of decision he probably needs to give the opportunity to the new guy to make in that situation

It should be. He's meant to be in charge of list management isn't he? That's been the mantra on here for quite a while now. Someone has to be in charge.

It should be. He's meant to be in charge of list management isn't he? That's been the mantra on here for quite a while now. Someone has to be in charge.
If you're in the middle of handing over to someone else then your job is to set them up in the role, not undermine them so I don't think it's that simple. Someone transitioning out of a role is never really in charge.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Geelong’s list boss Stephen Wells to take some time away from his role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back