Geelong and Hawthorn. Who has the greater supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fascinating question.
Last time both clubs missed the finals in the same season was 2006. Their membership numbers back then were about 30,000 each. In todays numbers this would make both of them a little bigger than the Gold Coast Suns and smaller than the GWS Giants. Since then both clubs have experienced considerable success sitting at 6th and 7th on the current membership ladder with Hawthorn significantly ahead.

We know Geelong is reliant on sustained success to maintain support, its followers being infamous for abandoning their club at the very first hint of challenging times ahead. Who can forget them abandoning their home ground en masse in the 4th quarter of Cory Enrights 300th game. They weren't even being smashed. They were less than 4 goals down. Or the embarrassing display they put on as they fled the MCG in the 2nd quarter of their 2017 qualifying final. So it's well known that, should Geelong fall off a cliff on the field, their supporter base will do much the same off it.

Hawthorn at their zenith had the highest membership in the AFL. Rumours of wealthy coterie buying 10's of thousands of cut price memberships and the inclusion of pet memberships etc. were never confirmed. Today, of course, they pad their numbers by doubling the size of family memberships as well as other dodgy practices, so perhaps their membership numbers aren't as superior to Geelong's as an initial cursory glance at the figures might suggest.

In any case, having memberships in the middle of the table is quite an achievement for these historically very small clubs who have both typically relied on large tax payer funded handouts to survive. I wonder who has the greater support base, and which one, if not both, might be forced to merge, relocate or fold in the foreseeable future.

As hard as this will be for Geelong supporters to accept; this thread isn't all about Richmond, even though your collective lives are. I would humbly request that you please try to stay on topic and perhaps take your obsession with Richmond, the biggest club in the land, to any of the dozens of threads you've created about them.
Thanks in advance :thumbsu:

Ahh the old “I slagged off you and your traditional rivals so my club is squeaky clean in this” plan.

This always works out well for the OP.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

You're very active this morning HAPPY CHEFFY and Mr Blicavs and you both also support one of the clubs topical to this thread. So whilst your instinct is to post only about Richmond, It'd be great if, on this occasion, you could make and exception. I'd be very interested in your opinion of who has the greater supporter base, and which of the 2 clubs is most likely to relocate/merge/fold first.

You're very active this morning HAPPY CHEFFY and Mr Blicavs and you both also support one of the clubs topical to this thread. So whilst your instinct is to post only about Richmond,
lol just like the Tiggy train the thread has derailed prematurely.
It'd be great if, on this occasion, you could make and exception. I'd be very interested in your opinion of who has the greater supporter base, and which of the 2 clubs is most likely to relocate/merge/fold first.
473AC58B-1574-409D-B0F0-27B204F4A9BC.jpeg

I understand. You only care for Richmond. Me too. But I'm at least trying to feign interest in a couple of the little, less important clubs.
Again if you just want to post about Richmond, and that's completely understandable, there are many, many threads to do so. Let's keep this one exclusively about a couple of the smaller clubs, just to give them a bit of a look-in for a change :thumbsu:

I understand. You only care for Richmond. Me too. But I'm at least trying to feign interest in a couple of the little, less important clubs.
Again if you just want to post about Richmond, and that's completely understandable, there are many, many threads to do so. Let's keep this one exclusively about a couple of the smaller clubs, just to give them a bit of a look-in for a change :thumbsu:
lol only post #8 and you’ve already lost control of this “behemoth” of a thread.

03721B9C-254F-4D55-8753-A8131E162DCF.jpeg

lol only post #8 and you’ve already lost control of this “behemoth” of a thread.

View attachment 1578920
Yes yes HC. I realise that you're desperate to derail this thread. But just because you're understandably ashamed of the club you support, doesn't mean all other Geelong supporters are. Again, can you please take your overwhelming feelings of insecurity and inferiority to any of the many threads you have specifically created to express them. Not every thread on Big Footy needs you to megaphone your frailties.

Yes yes HC. I realise that you're desperate to derail this thread. But just because you're understandably ashamed of the club you support, doesn't mean all other Geelong supporters are. Again, can you please take your overwhelming feelings of insecurity and inferiority to any of the many threads you have specifically created to express them. Not every thread on Big Footy needs you to megaphone your frailties.
Generally speaking the most "secure" people dont feel the need to respond to accusations of being "insecure". Probably nothing to do with this though. I dont know..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn. Don’t think it’s close tbh.

Geelong v St Kilda or Dogs would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Memberships are now counted even if handed out for free, so they really mean little this year, Im guessing Gill wanted everyone to have huge memberships when he retires?

Even Collingwood finally cracked a 100k under the new rules, what next Sydney with a million members?

Fascinating question.
Last time both clubs missed the finals in the same season was 2006. Their membership numbers back then were about 30,000 each. In todays numbers this would make both of them a little bigger than the Gold Coast Suns and smaller than the GWS Giants. Since then both clubs have experienced considerable success sitting at 6th and 7th on the current membership ladder with Hawthorn significantly ahead.

We know Geelong is reliant on sustained success to maintain support, its followers being infamous for abandoning their club at the very first hint of challenging times ahead. Who can forget them abandoning their home ground en masse in the 4th quarter of Cory Enrights 300th game. They weren't even being smashed. They were less than 4 goals down. Or the embarrassing display they put on as they fled the MCG in the 2nd quarter of their 2017 qualifying final. So it's well known that, should Geelong fall off a cliff on the field, their supporter base will do much the same off it.

Hawthorn at their zenith had the highest membership in the AFL. Rumours of wealthy coterie buying 10's of thousands of cut price memberships and the inclusion of pet memberships etc. were never confirmed. Today, of course, they pad their numbers by doubling the size of family memberships as well as other dodgy practices, so perhaps their membership numbers aren't as superior to Geelong's as an initial cursory glance at the figures might suggest.

In any case, having memberships in the middle of the table is quite an achievement for these historically very small clubs who have both typically relied on large tax payer funded handouts to survive. I wonder who has the greater support base, and which one, if not both, might be forced to merge, relocate or fold in the foreseeable future.
LOLOL Grin knows more about Geelong than most Geelong members....

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong and Hawthorn. Who has the greater supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back