Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't obviously, but it feels fairer to assess Bruhn's game like he got 25 touches and just pen that into the statsheet.

With how he played tonight, those 20 minutes robbed him of being the most productive player on the ground.
Warhorse can we allow it? His reduced minutes weren't planned tonight. Prolific when on the park I thought.

A lot of negativity here, just on the first page. Now I know why I'd rather stick to Twitter and talk with Cats fans there.

This thread seems pretty non-melty to me. Maybe I'm inured to negativity after so long on this forum, but I genuinely don't feel like the post-match mood tonight has been overly glass half empty. There's a wide range of comments, with plenty of posts about both the good and the bad. Idk, call me a BigFooty apologist if you will, but I don't think the mood in here is all that gloomy. 🤷‍♂️

Warhorse can we allow it? His reduced minutes weren't planned tonight. Prolific when on the park I thought.
I've honestly been trying to think of who Bruhn reminds me of for 18 months and I couldn't think of it.

The closest I could come up with is Marc Murphy. Not huge, but by no means small either. Quicker than you think, and has neat disposal off of both feet.

Dempsey's going to be an even harder one. He's an amalgamation of about 15 different players.

My thoughts have mostly been covered by others, but I think one of the points for debate - SDK's game - isn't as clear-cut as it might seem.

Yep, on watching it, it looked to be a stinker. But a couple of points on that...

#1: He was up against Max King, who'd be in the top handful of KPFs
#2: Max has 28 games more experience - not huge overall, but at this stage of their careers, it's a definite experience gap
#3: I don't think SDK was caught out of position too often, just beaten in 1-on-1s (I could be wrong, just how it felt by memory)

Add to that a few questionable calls - the deliberate was @#$@#ing stupid and the holding near the end seemed dubious - and there are mitigating factors.

I'm not going to say he played OK - he didn't - but take these into account, and quite possibly the fact that he's still lacking confidence after a nasty 2023 injury-wise.

Here's an open question: how many more games like that can Hawkins play before being "rested" and bringing Neale in?

Tonight was game 348. Without being rested:

• Easter Monday versus Hawthorn = game #350
  • Round 8 versus Melbourne at the MCG = #355, matching Selwood
  • Round 9 versus Port at KP = #356, and the new club record holder

With strategic resting, maybe we see instead:
  • Round 9 versus Port at KP = #355
  • Round 10 versus GC at TIO = rest
  • Round 11 versus GWS at KP = #356

Just want to also point out, that our misfits midfield of Danger, Bruhn, Atkins and Jhye, went head to head with Steele, Brad Crouch, S. Ross and Windhager, and won 12-7 in centre clearances.

That is a HUGE boost for our young guys, to show that they can take it up to much more mature bodies and come away with the win.

Tonight was game 348. Without being rested:

• Easter Monday versus Hawthorn = game #350
  • Round 8 versus Melbourne at the MCG = #355, matching Selwood
  • Round 9 versus Port at KP = #356, and the new club record holder

With strategic resting, maybe we see instead:
  • Round 9 versus Port at KP = #355
  • Round 10 versus GC at TIO = rest
  • Round 11 versus GWS at KP = #356
Given our recent form against GWS down here we might need the milestone boost.... Or it gets the Enright 300 treatment

After all of the talk that Kolo, O'Connor, Duncan and Touhy should be dropped they were very solid and played well. Particularly O'Connor.

Tyson looked disappointed after the game. Is it because he played badly, because he was subbed or because he was limping?

Bruhn was our best midfielder but did tire in the last. He did loose game time because of injury but he did appear to tire. Having said that he was VERY VERY good.

I can now see why Holmes is the anointed one. Speed to burn and can find the ball. He is going nowhere. The only issue is the opposition is aware he will try to run off and are ready for it so it does not work every time. He will eventually settle as a midfielder.

Jhye Clark looks like he has a heap of potential and does some courageous things. He hunts the ball very well and goes from contest to contest. Having said that he only played 60pc game time for a dozen possessions.

if Dempsey can stay sound he will be a star this year. Plays well in the air, on the ground and shows desperation.

Mannagh must start on the ground next week. He looks VERY capable at this level.

Hawkins was rusty. I feel we would play better with Neale in the side and he did play well in the seconds. He must be given game time as he is the future and has potential. Would they dare rest Hawkins?

Stanley got soundly beaten. Marshall was their best player. After all of the talk about him being the wall he only took 2 marks.

Great to see Jack Henry take a few great intercept marks.

Look forward to Wiltshire next year. He will be top shelf

We did miss 2 midfielders in Bowes clinical play and Cam Guthrie of 2022.

The conclusion is that the next wave has arrived and they need game time. The future is bright.

Last edited:
Went to the game with great expectations.
Left happy with the win but frustrated
There were glimpses of system and flow
Sloppy Skills : Dumb Decisions : Wasted Work : Lousy Luck :
Kept breaking teamwork into fragmented battles
Most struggled for consistency and form
Cats dangerous forwards rarely saw decent delivery
Crowded F50 only allowed easily spoiled high lobs
A strong marking tall (Neale) was sadly missed,
Despite much effort Cats mids lost the contested ball battle
Frequently getting first hands on the ball without clearance
Repeatedly turning over rushed kicks and fumbling chances
Congested corridor forced long kicks into down the line dead ends.
Cats won on the back of individual efforts.
Dempsey, Stewart, Bruhn, Holmes, Zuth, stood out
The win was more relief than victory celebration.
Hopefully the quest for form is not too costly.
Cats can only get better... Any worse is goodbye 2024.

cat hold breath.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the highlights. Was surprised with how much red (Saints fans) I saw in the crowd, and how loud they were. Don't think I've ever seen a game at KP where the opposition team have had that much support. Almost felt like a neutral match-up at the MCG/Marvel.

SDK is a worry, when a top line forward isolates him he completely goes to water, King should have won them the game last night.

It does, but it was the midfield who performed better tonight. I agree though, the midfield is our weakest line and it remains to be seen how they fare against better opponents.
Our midfield can work with Atkins, Clarke and Bruhn providing the primary grunt.
Danger and Guth the breakaway. It is so injury dependent and you can see how delighted Scott was in the presser to have Dangers pace and strength back. He was well done to fully cooked last year.

Can see Cats reloading in the trade for a powerful breakaway mid to.ho again in 2025. Backline solid. Fowards still gonna be OK with Jezza.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

This was my pre-match "under the microscope" list: players in their prime or on the potential cusp of breaking out. Edited with thoughts from watching them last night:

Instead of pot shotting veterans if they "look slow" or dare make a mistake, let's put the microscope on these prime-aged players and up-and-comers ready to break out:

-Kolo: fantastic effort. Almost double digit intercepts! The 2022 finals-esque rock. He fluffed a disposal or two but otherwise looked much more steady and reliable. With the other key defenders struggling at times, it made a difference.

-Atkins: Started slowly but turned the screw second half and kept us really competitive around the clinches. Another understated performance but I thought he was more effective than Brad Crouch for instance. Tick.

-O'Connor: this is the MOC that we want to see. He'll never be a star but when he's using his pace, attacking the footy and switched on he's a handy player. Wasn't caught sleeping. Tick.

-Zuthrie: Big tick, one shocking rebound disposal aside. Is managing to turn so many 50/50s into useful Geelong transition plays. Is he the best 1v1 defender? No. Occasionally can lose his man on opposition fast breaks. But he's giving us plenty as far as general defence (space rather than man) and adding levels to his game.

-Close: another classic Close game, where he has passages with slick hands and dynanism, he has a few standout pressure moments and then he frustrates or disappears for other periods. When he's at his best all game it makes a difference. But more often he bobs up here and there. Probably room to improve.

-J.Henry: he had 3 or 4 moments where I thought "this is Henry back at his best" including a great contested intercept mark late. i thought he could've done more to quell opposition attacks and was a little loose at times. Probably harsh but I have big expectations of him.

-Stengle: sadly a bit of a game to forget. But he has X factor and we need to get the best out of him. If he's sore let's give Mannagh a go but I wouldn't be sending him for a stint in the VFL. It just wasn't his night. Needs to pressure the opposition more at the very least.

-Miers: I noticed from late last season he's not quite as precise with those forward 50 attacks and deft creative moments. But his pressure game lifted significantly and he was demanding the footy always, with hard running. Middle of the road game without standout moments, but he was fine.

-SDK: still lacking confidence and it's translating into fundamental errors, both with ball in hand and with the basics of defending. He's another we absolutely have to back in though. We will be a different side if he gets back to his 2022 level or beyond. For now, he's a component of the leaky defensive structure.

-Holmes: brilliant game, especially early. Faded out a little but didn't do his second half disappearing act of 2023. Taking the game on and breaking lines. We are looking for him and opponents can't cope. One of our star performers of the night.

-Bruhn: brilliant reaction to copping an early knock. When that happened last season, he struggled to get back into the action. Last night it almost propelled him to a new level, like when young Joel Selwood used to come back out bandaged. Getting much more involved, making better decisions and showing a higher ceiling is ahead. If he performs to this level or better, our midfield will be okay this year.

-O.Henry: seemed a bit off it, but still had 3 chances that he would usually nail all of them. Tonight he only delivered on 1. Needs to do more at ground level, defensively and with some of his attacking patterns. We all know there's a good player there. Occupied Wilkie well enough and let Dempsey do the damage.

Overall happy with the cohort.

I couldn't agree more. I mentioned in another thread that I think this year is more about the development of our younger players.

We are in a good position to recruit strongly this off-seasom to rebalance the list and contend again in 2025.

That being said, there are ways we COULD contend this year, but it would require extremely precise management of the list and improvement of players in the 24-28 profile. Specifically in the midfield.

I couldn't agree more. I mentioned in another thread that I think this year is more about the development of our younger players.

We are in a good position to recruit strongly this off-seasom to rebalance the list and contend again in 2025.

That being said, there are ways we COULD contend this year, but it would require extremely precise management of the list and improvement of players in the 24-28 profile. Specifically in the midfield.

This side is showing more and more each day, that our rebuild is actually going quite well, and it's stealthily happening away from the public eye.

All of these players will likely be gone by the end of next year:

Danger, Rohan, Duncan, Bews, Parfitt, Tuohy, Stanley, Hawkins

I reckon Guthrie still has another year after next year in him, likewise Blics and Jez, and then Stewart is here until 2027.

So by 2027, the only players over 30 will be Stewart, Kolo, and Atkins.

We keep unearthing players like Dempsey, and it's actually crazy just how much they're adding. Lawson is another one who I think will play AFL footy this year, such is his talent, skill off both feet, and work ethic. Also a mature age body again.

If Knevitt can up the anti this year, alongside Mullin and Conway, and then guys like Willis, O'Sullivan and Stevens can show their wares, then all of a sudden we're back to trading in established talent and competing at the pointy end again - much to the chagrin of oppo supporters.

Dempsey, Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, SDK, S. Neale, O. Henry, J. Henry, Close, Stengle, Miers, Mannagh, Zuthrie, Mullin, all played tonight or listed as emergencies, who all look to be in our future plans. Add Bowes who has looked amazing this PS, Knevitt, Conway, and maybe Humphries and O'Sullivan, and it's not a bad core of 26 and under players to build around - especially for a recent flag winning side who was the oldest in history at the time.

Just watched the highlights. Was surprised with how much red (Saints fans) I saw in the crowd, and how loud they were. Don't think I've ever seen a game at KP where the opposition team have had that much support. Almost felt like a neutral match-up at the MCG/Marvel.
They quietly had high expectations

Cataholic
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...th-mar-2024-730pm-gmhba.1378154/post-82700290

View attachment 1930036
Excellent analysis Cataholic, experienced. I learn so much from you, for which I’m thankful.
May I ask your opinion on Lyon’s flooding style, but when it fails he has the team regroup + kind of run away + spread? It’s ugly, typically repugnant tactics.
How does Geelong take control + kick the ball forward?

Personally I don't like the 'Lyon Flood' but I'm hardly alone there.

They were quicker than us when they ran and spread, so I'm surprised Lyon didn't tell them to just keep doing that.

That said, we did some good work on the ball, but our 'kick and hope' entries into the F50 neutralised a lot of the advantage we created.

That said, our forwards didn't create enough leads and separation either. We just don't have the pack marking power up forward to reliably convert long bomb entries. We have to lower the eyes, create isolation and kick with more precision entering our F50.

OH finally provided some leads in the last quarter, and got us over the line. Mannagh was lively in his cameo, but Stengle continues to be lacklustre, Tommy was ordinary and Close didn't do a lot.

Last edited:
Sure. I would say my definition of prolific is different to mine. I think his game probably met the minimum benchmark expectes for the average full time midfielder. That's a jump from last year. Overall I think our midfield is bad 👎
I've honestly been trying to think of who Bruhn reminds me of for 18 months and I couldn't think of it.

The closest I could come up with is Marc Murphy. Not huge, but by no means small either. Quicker than you think, and has neat disposal off of both feet.

Dempsey's going to be an even harder one. He's an amalgamation of about 15 different players.
Can't think of a comparison for Bruhn. I don't see much in common with Marc Murphy who was a very under rated player.

Dempsey reminds me of Fyfe when flying for the ball. Not sure about the rest of his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back