Geelong show the other teams how to do trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Dont I?
And you do?

Sorry but a thread started by a Geelong fan about 'how well' geelong did in trade period....

What did I say that was incorrect?
Did you sell the farm? Yep
Did you get 1 star and 3 average players? Yep
Do Hawthorn do better in player movements? Yep

If someone said "your team can have Dangerfield and Henderson for 2 firsts and a second", there is not a team in the league that would say no.

And a player dont forget, although not a best 22 player.

You're right that nobody would say no to that. Its just that I dont think Geelong were close enough to a premiership to have a crack at that strategy.

Selling out the youth to try to stay up the top is fine, but when you're a 5th-8th placed team it could blow right up in your face.

Must be brilliant. So brilliant in fact that you didn't play finals.

At least a dozen of the players listed hardly suited up last season. If we get the same thing we'll miss, if we can get some continuity, especially in midfield, we can go back up the ladder. That team has never played, let alone miss finals.

Dont I?
And you do?

Sorry but a thread started by a Geelong fan about 'how well' geelong did in trade period....

What did I say that was incorrect?
Did you sell the farm? Yep
Did you get 1 star and 3 average players? Yep
Do Hawthorn do better in player movements? Yep
Are you still having a sooky-sooky-la-la ? Yep
Are you totally obsessed with Geelong ? Yep
Will you just bugger off from Geelong threads ? Pigs arse

This is the main board chief.
You want geelong threads? then piss off back to the Cats board.

Seriously you're doing more crying than anyone here.
This is nothing to do with Danger's decision. We all knew it was coming.

You didnt 'show other teams how to do trade week'.
Accept that you did well, without doing anything outstanding.

You paid a lot to get a lot.
It's really not hard to nail 3 players that nominate your club only.

While I'm not going to delve into the stupidity of the OP. Menzel, Vardy, Smith, Clark are hardly by-words for reliability... Nor is Stanley, although I'll accept that big guys take longer to get the body ready for AFL and he has been better in the past few years...

While the squad above is good, very good even - the depth is questionable if these guys I listed above cannot improve their reliability and you get one or two significant injuries...

They can afford a mid injury or two but anything as far as KPF or KPD or even role playing defenders/forwards and they're in trouble.

My real irk is where are they going to get goals from?
Hawkins and Menzel are the only 2 capable of kicking 40-50 goals IMO.

Most teams have at least 3-4 players capable of kicking 40-50 goals.

they're a sandy bunch this off season for some reason, any ideas why Jub?

They can afford a mid injury or two but anything as far as KPF or KPD or even role playing defenders/forwards and they're in trouble.

My real irk is where are they going to get goals from?
Hawkins and Menzel are the only 2 capable of kicking 40-50 goals IMO.

Most teams have at least 3-4 players capable of kicking 40-50 goals.

It depends on how they structure, but I do agree with the general point. Someone like Bartel could play predominantly forward and kick more than a few goals, he's a great mark and good kick for example. I think they did well to get all the deals done and bring the players in they did, and I think the best 28 - 30 are good - but beyond that there are a few weak links. It's appears to be a boom/bust type strategy, but give them some credit for having the balls to go for it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends on how they structure, but I do agree with the general point. Someone like Bartel could play predominantly forward and kick more than a few goals, he's a great mark and good kick for example. I think they did well to get all the deals done and bring the players in they did, and I think the best 28 - 30 are good - but beyond that there are a few weak links. It's appears to be a boom/bust type strategy, but give them some credit for having the balls to go for it...

The trouble is they see their youth at an elevated level to everyone else.
They dont see that they've invested a lot into the now.

Not convinced by that, but will watch him and see next year.

I actually think that if his body is right, he'll be reasonably fresh after only 11 games last year.

He looked pretty handy when he was racking 40 odd touches against North, who admittedly probably have the slowest midfield in the comp.

Be interesting to see where he plays in 2016, but I could see him kicking 30-40 goals if he has extended time in the forward 50.

He was hopeless last year. Getting worse not better.

I suspect you are just a troll here, but I'll play along a little longer.

Injury interrupted season - true. Lack of continuity, but still finished at nearly 24 disposals per game and 6 marks. Could easily play a sweeper role around the backline picking off intercept marks (above average mark for his size) and teaching some of the younger defenders. Could also play as a small-ish forward, with good marking and goal kicking...

Think you are being harsh here. No doubt on the decline (as most are as they get older) but hopeless isn't fair IMO...

The trouble is they see their youth at an elevated level to everyone else.
They dont see that they've invested a lot into the now.

Agree with this in the large. I think they have some good kids and then some good ordinary players. If they have enough class, on the park - that's ok. If not, there will be trouble..

I suspect you are just a troll here, but I'll play along a little longer.

Injury interrupted season - true. Lack of continuity, but still finished at nearly 24 disposals per game and 6 marks. Could easily play a sweeper role around the backline picking off intercept marks (above average mark for his size) and teaching some of the younger defenders. Could also play as a small-ish forward, with good marking and goal kicking...

Think you are being harsh here. No doubt on the decline (as most are as they get older) but hopeless isn't fair IMO...

He spent time in the backline this year and even his kicking was poor. Once you lose that much pace it's all over

they're a sandy bunch this off season for some reason, any ideas why Jub?
I know,I know
dangerweb.jpg

I know,I know
dangerweb.jpg

Its hilarious on BF that people actually think that all fans are that emotionally involved in their team.
Maybe some of you have lives that are that sad that you get upset when a person you don't know leaves your club, but I dont.

Patty gave everything for Adelaide. I wish him all the best, except for a really crap game against us.
Great player, good bloke apparently and did it all the right way. Many will use him as an example of how to handle Free Agency in the future.

Geelong have shown up teams like Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton how to conduct Trade week.

Initially, it looked like the Patrick Dangerfield deal would drag out until the last day. On each club's message boards, there was arguments about what was acceptable, and it looked like it was going to get bloody. Other teams supporters and the media said that Geelong were going to bend Adelaide over and that Adelaide should make Geelong bleed.

So, what happened? The two clubs wrapped up the Dangerfield deal, Day 1. Not only that, but both clubs were happy with what they got, and didn't hold out for more.

Geelong then wrapped up a couple of other deals within the first few days, and ended up with every player they targeted, all the while other teams we dealt with acknowledged how accomodating Geelong were.

Compare that to Collingwood, who sent Adam Treloar for a mystery operation, and accused GWS of leaking a video of Treloar signing for Collingwood.

Essendon showed why they are the hardest team to deal with when they tried to bend over St. Kilda for pick 5. When Saints didn't say "How high" when Essendon told them to jump, the Bombers called Hawthorn to get them to make a deal, and force St. Kilda's hand. Then, once Carlisle was signed to the Saints, and Essendon got pick 5, the Bombers then leaked the video of Carlisle sniffing coke, to clip him on the way out.

While these teams pull these tactics, insult the other club they are dealing with, ask for overs, and then bag the player who changes teams, Geelong are transparent, look after the other club as well, ask for what is reasonable, and don't pot the player on the way out.

So, in future, other clubs should hope that if a player nominates a team to get traded to, that the player wants to go to Geelong, and not Essendon or Collingwood, so that the other club can just get the deal done, and get what is fair in return, and avoid a lot of headaches, and allowing the other team to get time to get other deals done.

Plus, Geelong have picked players who are of good character and have actual uses for next season and beyond, and when we have low draft picks, we often pick quality players. Many players we have picked at 30 or over have won numerous premierships.

Just like it says in our song, when it comes to trade week, Geelong is the "Greatest Team Of All".

Geelong showed everyone how to do trade week? You are a knob. If Adeliade weren't pussies and demanded 2 first rounders then you wouldn't be saying this. You are just lucky Adelaide are massive push overs. Pies would have loved to give up a similar deal for Treloar but GWS were strong and got a fair deal..

LOL
What by selling the farm for 1 star and 3 average players?

I would say thats how NOT to do trade week.
Follow hawthorns lead, give up jack all and get decent players.

Hendo will play well in a good team where he's not the number 1 man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong show the other teams how to do trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back