Preview Geelong V North Sun Jul 9 110pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely Miers, Blicavs & Bruhn are locked into the 22. I'd then go with Knevitt & Mullin with one taken the last bench spot and the other as sub
Hmm i like that but Dempsey is the player in form so would have him in the 22 over Knevitt and the sub toss up between Mullin and Knevitt.

I am surprised Hardie isn't even mentioned in that list though

why not menegola taking the final bench spot??

Lack of football over the past 12 months - 2 x VFL matches since round 22 2022 isn't a lot of football, especially as the key reason for missing during that period is knee soreness & it impacting his ability to back up from one week to the next

I'd like to see him get through a month of VFL, not only to show match fitness but also that his knee is allowing him to back up over multiple weeks without causing issue

Lack of football over the past 12 months - 2 x VFL matches since round 22 2022 isn't a lot of football, especially as the key reason for missing during that period is knee soreness & it impacting his ability to back up from one week to the next

I'd like to see him get through a month of VFL, not only to show match fitness but also that his knee is allowing him to back up over multiple weeks without causing issue
I think it depends what our goals are for this season.

If we are still believing we are a shot at the flag, then if he is fit he needs to be given the green light at senior level and a run at it, as we need someone with his ball winning and accumulation abilities in the midfield.

At his best he is able to produce much better football than anything we will see from dempsey and knevitt this year.

But if the perspective is we are not a contender, then i would prefer we get time into knevitt or dempsey or both...

Guthrie is practically a write off and returningf rnd 23.... which will be as rusty as my garage door coming into finals.

We need to take a punt now at improving our midfield, and i don't see another answer besides giving menegola a run at it and take the risk.

We need to take a punt now at improving our midfield, and i don't see another answer besides giving menegola a run at it and take the risk.

If we need a non match fit and aging Sam Menegola to help our mids go to another level or dig us out of trouble then our midfield is in terrible terrible strife (and it probably is, to be honest).

Smith out is a little surprising, but happy for it. His performance last week was one of the worst I've seen from a Cats player this season - in that last quarter, I didn't want him anywhere near the ball, which is telling. That said, he's been off the pace for a few weeks now so I suspect something isn't quite right so it's a good time to freshen him up and hope has more impact next week.

Because we have younger players performing better (for longer) at VFL level in Knevitt/Dempsey and they deserve a run before Menners on current form.
If we are after a premiership, we need to run the gauntlett with menegola as he is the only one who is capable of playing to an A standard if he hits his straps as a midfielder. We know Dempsey and Knevitt have potential but they will not be doing any big damage in 2023 as midfielders for a flag push, where as menegola has more potential to do so if he gets going.

At his best he was an AA 40 squad member, and right now we need someone who can come in as a big bodied accumulator such as what he can produce.

If we are hanging up the towel for season 2023, i would prefer knevitt or dempsey for experience then

I think it depends what our goals are for this season.

If we are still believing we are a shot at the flag, then if he is fit he needs to be given the green light at senior level and a run at it, as we need someone with his ball winning and accumulation abilities in the midfield.

At his best he is able to produce much better football than anything we will see from dempsey and knevitt this year.

But if the perspective is we are not a contender, then i would prefer we get time into knevitt or dempsey or both...

Guthrie is practically a write off and returningf rnd 23.... which will be as rusty as my garage door coming into finals.

But is he the best option for that, or would either of Knevitt or Dempsey who've been out performing him in the midfield in the VFL be better options?

The Menegola of two years ago would be no question about his inclusion after just 2 games in the VFL, but he's now 31 & he's never been the quickest of players, and I just wonder if we'd be better served with a younger & quicker option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won't do too many all at once unless it's seriously pressing to manage a bunch of players at the same time.

Reason being that continuity of a core group playing is important for building form and cohesion. Our ins and outs this season have been a revolving door. Then when we finally have around 19 or 20 from last year's side together and they remain flat we go "guh! They're rubbish now. Play the kids!".

The kids have gotten plenty of games so we are closer to the end game of managing one veteran maximum at a time. We need good form this week for the elimination final Vs Essendon.
Well...we're certainties now.

If we need a non match fit and aging Sam Menegola to help our mids go to another level or dig us out of trouble then our midfield is in terrible terrible strife (and it probably is, to be honest).
He has had alot of footy and probably quite a decent amount of conditioning in rehab as well remember, they don't sit on their arse playing video games or resting during their period off with injuries, they do quite intense cardio and strength work to get back. So i wouldnt write off the fitness side of things, but more probably the touch side of things and pace of the game will be questionable.

honestly who else do we have to take a punt on to get that improvement in our midfield from? knevitt and dempsey wont be.. guthrie may or may not come back this season... I personally don't see the alternative punt in the midfield, as parfitt has been given more than enough go's and failed.

I'm thinking Parfitt, see if he's got anything left in the tank.

Illustration No GIF

But is he the best option for that, or would either of Knevitt or Dempsey who've been out performing him in the midfield in the VFL be better options?

The Menegola of two years ago would be no question about his inclusion after just 2 games in the VFL, but he's now 31 & he's never been the quickest of players, and I just wonder if we'd be better served with a younger & quicker option
I personally see it as a gamble we need to take, as menegola has shown he is capable of A grade midfield footy, where as dempsey and knevitt will not be getting to that level in 2023, they are longer term options.

If Parfitt or Gola want into the 23 make them earn it with strong VFL form.
we don't have the luxury right now of sitting a good midfielder in the VFL to "capture form"when we have close to the worst midfield in the AFL getting whooped every weekend and are fighting hard to qualify for the bottom half of the 8.

We need to run the risk and see if he can build into form in the AFL system, especially since guthrie may not return.

Geelong will knock over every single Cats supporter one Thursday night at selection with a feather duster

By saying - in a major surprise for the Cats - player X is actually available to play this week - where as earlier in the week - coach Chris Scott - and every one else under the sun - thought he was no chance whatsoever to play in this weeks game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back