Preview Geelong v Port Friday May 10 710 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the thing for me, i'm not as big on Mullin playing in our AFL side as others are.
There's multiple guys who can play his role, he should be putting extra in time in the VFL earning his spot.

He's had some good VFL games, but so have a lot of guys.

So your logic is he should be made to earn his spot in the vfl by playing good footy.
Plays good footy in the vfl but that's not good enough?

As someone who watches every VFL game. his last three games in the VFL (1 before the trip, & 2 after) have been excellent and have been IMO the three best games he's played ever.
He's playing confident footy and is in great form and has tremendous upside. He's has deserved the chance to be given a game.

So your logic is he should be made to earn his spot in the vfl by playing good footy.

As someone who watches every VFL game. his last three games in the VFL (1 before the trip, & 2 after) have been excellent and have been IMO the three best games he's played ever.
He's playing confident footy and is in great form and has tremendous upside. He's has deserved the chance to be given a game.
Far more potential upside than Hardie,

Doesn’t mean he’ll make it, of course, but they’ll give him every chance.

Hardie has improved a lot and deserves a game at some point, but there are others ahead of him.

Playing 1 or 2 games is not enough criteria for multiple other players to get a gig, why does that only apply to Mullin?
I've watched nearly every VFL game and while he has been good he hasn't stood out like he was a level above anyone else?

He gets plenty of chances, it not like he's been hard pressed to get games?

Why are we playing Clark?

Because the club know he will be an integral part of our mf for the next 5-10 years. I think the club has a pretty good record of pumping games into some players to get hem to that 50-100 game mark asap without completely disrupting our short term goals. I just think CS and the MC are pleasantly surprised by the 7-0 start and are using the credits to accelerate the squad. Come September, when we have inevitable injuries and tired or out of form players, having a real list of 30 players completely comfortable at AFL level will be a massive asset!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rightly or wrongly, the MC clearly has a pecking order.

Some people on here clearly believe it’s wrongly.

I believe in the MC and Scotty's vision because it works.
As i said above i'm not mad that Mullin gets a game, I just don't like the logic some apply here that
"Mullin should play every week based on VFL form" but when others who play similar roles have played in the VFL as well and have played better can't get a look in.

Humphries being a great example.

I'll trust that they know what they are doing cause it's their jobs
I just want people to hold the same standards for different blokes, can't defend Mullin getting game after game and ignoring other blokes doing just as much or more than him at a lower level.

As i said above i'm not mad that Mullin gets a game, I just don't like the logic some apply here that
"Mullin should play every week based on VFL form" but when others who play similar roles have played in the VFL as well and have played better can't get a look in.

I just want people to hold the same standards for different blokes, can't defend Mullin getting game after game and ignoring other blokes doing just as much or more than him at a lower level.

Mullin was good against Hawthorn and unlucky to be dropped. Then has been really good at VFL level.

Humphries is in his first year in an elite environment after playing mainly WAFL reserves last year. Mullin had 4 or so years at the elite Gaelic level and is in his second year of AFL. Debuting Humphries off a 5 day break would be asking a lot of his body.

Mullin was good against Hawthorn and unlucky to be dropped. Then has been really good at VFL level.

Humphries is in his first year in an elite environment after playing mainly WAFL reserves last year. Mullin had 4 or so years at the elite Gaelic level and is in his second year of AFL. Debuting Humphries off a 5 day break would be asking a lot of his body.

Yep, here's hoping Oisin has a big breakout game and can hold his spot.
I'll back in whoever Scotty sends out as the 23.

Lawson will get his shot if he keeps playing the way he is. Would have loved it to be this week but oh well, another time :clapping:

As we’ve said, Mullin has upside none of the others have.

They may also think he’s a risk of going back to Ireland if he’s stuck in the VFL for too long. Just a thought - may not be true.

Anyway, there’s plenty of time for Humphries

Yep, here's hoping Oisin has a big breakout game and can hold his spot.
I'll back in whoever Scotty sends out as the 23.

Lawson will get his shot if he keeps playing the way he is. Would have loved it to be this week but oh well, another time :clapping:

Humphries will get a shot at it, barring injury.
He's unlucky but he's not the only one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if we ruck with Blitz, SDK and Rohan? Reckon that could work…Just thinking outloud…

Nah blitz is too important structurally to run into the ground that way. Use stanley or conway unless neither is fit (or use neale when hes fit).

Tend to feel that aside from the over 30 players, we are managing this squad a little early. Surely, after 7 rounds Bowes isn’t needing a rest?

They clearly think doing it aggressively now means the key players will be in very good shape for the last 1/3 of the year. Time will tell if it pays off.

Because the club know he will be an integral part of our mf for the next 5-10 years. I think the club has a pretty good record of pumping games into some players to get hem to that 50-100 game mark asap without completely disrupting our short term goals. I just think CS and the MC are pleasantly surprised by the 7-0 start and are using the credits to accelerate the squad. Come September, when we have inevitable injuries and tired or out of form players, having a real list of 30 players completely comfortable at AFL level will be a massive asset!

All of that is spot on, but with Danger, Bruhn, Bowes all out, he's sort of needed there as well.
At the start of year, we would of thought that if he couldn't get a game without those 3 there, we may have some minor concerns.
I reckon he's tracking as well as most of us would have hoped.

Last edited:
Depth, need at the time, and the fact he's had no games at all maybe affirms that.
I think you could be barking up the wrong tree.

Hardie was in the votes last 2 weeks and he is equal leader in the VFL player voting.

ROUND 5​

Carlton 8.7 (55) def by Geelong Cats 23.18 (156)
Toby Conway (GEE)
7 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
6 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
5 Shannon Neale (GEE)
2 Jhye Clark (GEE)

ROUND 6​

Geelong Cats 18.5 (113) def Frankston 6.13 (49)
Ted Clohesy (GEE)
8 Lawson Humphries (GEE)
5 Shaun Mannagh (GEE)
4 Oisin Mullin (GEE)
2 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
2 Emerson Jeka (GEE)
1 Lachlan Sharp (FRA)

LEADERBOARD​

32 Dom Brew (WER)
32 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
28 Boyd Woodcock (SOU)
26 Callum Porter (BHH)
25 Jacob Dawson (SOU)
22 Callum Brown (BHH)
22 Nick Haynes (GWS)
21 Riley Collier-Dawkins (WIL)
20 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
20 Ned Long (COL)
20 Nicholas Madden (GWS)
20 Kane McAuliffe (RIC)

All of that is spot on, but with Danger, Bruhn, Bowes all out, he's sort of needed there as well.
At the start of year, we would of thought that if he couldn't get a game without those 3 there, we may have some minor concerns.
I reckon he's tracking as well as most of us would have hoped.

I admit I’m somewhat surprised and a little nervous about the merry go round of our mf despite my faith in the MC. Again, I really believe 7-0 gives us the security. But if we drop the game tomorrow, things will tighten up in a hurry.

Tend to feel that aside from the over 30 players, we are managing this squad a little early. Surely, after 7 rounds Bowes isn’t needing a rest?
I've thought of that too.
Is it because of these next few games are off 6 day breaks in a row.
I get the management of the +30's but managing them injury outs? A deadly game of taking the p155

I think you could be barking up the wrong tree.

Hardie was in the votes last 2 weeks and he is equal leader in the VFL player voting.

ROUND 5​

Carlton 8.7 (55) def by Geelong Cats 23.18 (156)
Toby Conway (GEE)
7 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
6 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
5 Shannon Neale (GEE)
2 Jhye Clark (GEE)

ROUND 6​

Geelong Cats 18.5 (113) def Frankston 6.13 (49)
Ted Clohesy (GEE)
8 Lawson Humphries (GEE)
5 Shaun Mannagh (GEE)
4 Oisin Mullin (GEE)
2 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
2 Emerson Jeka (GEE)
1 Lachlan Sharp (FRA)

LEADERBOARD​

32 Dom Brew (WER)
32 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
28 Boyd Woodcock (SOU)
26 Callum Porter (BHH)
25 Jacob Dawson (SOU)
22 Callum Brown (BHH)
22 Nick Haynes (GWS)
21 Riley Collier-Dawkins (WIL)
20 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
20 Ned Long (COL)
20 Nicholas Madden (GWS)
20 Kane McAuliffe (RIC)
It must be a pretty big tree ;)

VFL
Round 1
Best Players
Mitchell Hardie, Marcus Herbert, Jed Bews, Toby Conway, Mitchell Knevitt, Ted Clohesy
MITCH HARDIE 29 DISPOSALS 7 TACKLES, 7 CLEARANCES

Round 2
Mitch Hardie 22 DISPOSALS but not in the best players

Round 3
Best Players
Mitchell Hardie, Toby Conway, Oisin Mullin, Daniel CAPIRON, Mitchell Knevitt, Lawson Humphries
MITCH HARDIE - 30 DISPOSALS

Round 4
Best Players
Ted Clohesy, Mitchell Knevitt, Mitchell Hardie, Connor O'Sullivan, Emerson Jeka, Oliver Wiltshire
MITCH HARDIE - 32 DISPOSALS

Round 5
Best Players
Toby Conway, Jhye Clark, Ted Clohesy, Gary Rohan, Shannon Neale, Mitchell Hardie
MITCH HARDIE - 29 DISPOSALS

Round 6
Geelong dominated possession (+98) and marks (+53) as they had the top six ball-winners on the ground, headed by Lawson Humphries, who looks ready to go when required after another starring performance of 28 disposals and nine marks.

Mitch Hardie (26 disposals, five clearances, eight tackles, six entries) and Ted Clohesy (25 disposals, eight marks, eight clearances, six tackles, 10 entries, one goal) also had too much for the Dolphins to handle, while SSP addition Emerson Jeka (25 disposals, eight marks, seven rebounds) starred down back.

I actually thought Mullin's last AFL game against Hawthorn was his best one yet. Was almost a shame that he couldn't build off that in the following weeks.

Gameday thread open

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back