No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a lot of unhinged posts about Mitchell on here. 4th in the B&F of a premiership year and one of the best on ground in the grand final. Couldn’t ask for more from a recruit they paid very little for. Wright had an absolute blinder last trade period with Mitchell and Hill and then a premiership with both starring.

That headf*cked thread on here is kind of ironic at the moment.

Their BnF count was strange tbh, players all over the shop that should’ve been higher.

I still believe he’s on the fringe and was probably the next midfielder out of the side, but ironically he naturally plays a style that is cohesive to the high pressure finals nature and had a really good finals series.

Yeah nah.

Apparently they're friendly, but Dodo does not sound like he's joking here at all. Maybe he's just a generally miserable flog.

I suppose working for the scum for 20 plus years with naught to show for it would make anyone a miserable flog.

Though I choose to believe the theory that Dodo has been a double agent the whole entire time. What else can explain their record during his tenure?

Last edited:
What if it was Robert Harvey and not Sam Mitchell? Would all the same blind defences of these dated methods apply?
This perpetually sh!tting on the "dated" methods ignores the fact that this wasn't a once off. Yes, the method was harsh, yes it never works, but sometimes it is the only thing the person is going to react to. If you keep using warm fuzzy hugs you might get the best out of most people, but here was a bloke who seemed to refuse to follow the instructions given to him. Eventually, you need to spell it out.

I am not defending Hawthorn here, just outlining the fact that this seemed to be a repetitive occurrence and the previous methods clearly hadn't worked. What else were they (Harvey, Mitchell, Worpel's mother's hair dresser's dog walker) supposed to do?

Repeat offenders can be dealt with, but repeat offenders who have BEEN dealt with may need more draconian measures.

Last edited:
I’m almost certain north will * this up and we will be having the same conversation again in 5 years once everyone starts leaving
most people on here think north will continue to be irrelevant, because.....norf.

i believe they could be big improvers next year. They have high end talent now 2 to 5 years in the system, and about to bring in copious more high picks.

Clarko is a great coach and will not accept mediocrity regardless of how he left the Hawks. They are lacking key backs, but I do believe they are building a very talented list (as are Hawks).

There will be a lot of comparisons made between us and North over the next few years and they have more first rounders to play with than us. Doesn't mean they will be better, but does give a greater % chance they will be players.

Interesting watch.

most people on here think north will continue to be irrelevant, because.....norf.

i believe they could be big improvers next year. They have high end talent now 2 to 5 years in the system, and about to bring in copious more high picks.

Clarko is a great coach and will not accept mediocrity regardless of how he left the Hawks. They are lacking key backs, but I do believe they are building a very talented list (as are Hawks).

There will be a lot of comparisons made between us and North over the next few years and they have more first rounders to play with than us. Doesn't mean they will be better, but does give a greater % chance they will be players.

Interesting watch.
Looking past the high picks they have though and their list is terrible. They might rise slightly on the back of getting boatloads of high picks in for being terrible but over half their list would get delisted at any other club but the eagles going into next year.

Looking past the high picks they have though and their list is terrible. They might rise slightly on the back of getting boatloads of high picks in for being terrible but over half their list would get delisted at any other club but the eagles going into next year.

They have a unique ability to set themselves up for a decade. I'm hoping like picks they've made in the past, they'll squander this opportunity, but who knows.

They need to throw everything at finding a key tall and a key back. The rest is just noise.

They have a unique ability to set themselves up for a decade. I'm hoping like picks they've made in the past, they'll squander this opportunity, but who knows.

They need to throw everything at finding a key tall and a key back. The rest is just noise.
With Clarko at the helm I can’t see them screwing it up.

Surprised Collingwood haven't offered Tom Hawkins 2 years on decent coin. Replace Frampton/Ginnivan with Hawkins/Schultz and it would be hard to stop them going back to back.

Given how bad their list is. They pretty much need to nail every first rounder for these next two drafts.

So it’s possible. Highly improbable though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It that was us with all those draft picks over the next couple of drafts I'd hope we'd identify the gaps in list demographics and use the picks to trade in for established players and push the odd one or two picks back to ensure a steady stream of incoming talent.

They're effectively an expansion club.

Look how he screwed us up when all his generals left him. Messiah he ain’t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He got us to the promised land, is a huge improvement over their previous appointments and has the know how. He didn’t really leave us in that much of a mess. He tried to sustain our success with top ups which didn’t succeed.
I believe we could have been playing finals the last 2 years if we had wanted to, but decided that we didn’t just want to be making up the numbers so decided instead to go a full rebuild.

He does shine when he has the talent though, and the AFL are loading him up with it

He's definitely getting a leg up - again though I am not convinced he's humble enough to concede his tactics need a refresh in the modern game. Will be interesting to see what happens if the Shinbeggars kids are flourishing but they are still rooted in the bottom 6 of the ladder in 3-4 years time.

I agree. Their top end will be good, its almost impossible for them not to be, but they still have a horrible list balance. Shit defensive unit, uninspiring forward line, poor rucks. It's part of the reason why the assistance that has been given to them is so pointless, they'll just load up on more midfielders and continue to have all the same issues.

Last edited:
I agree. Their top end will be good, its almost impossible for them not to be, bit they still have a horrible list balance. s**t defensive unit, uninspiring forward line, poor rucks. It's part of the reason why the assistance that has been given to them is so pointless, they'll just load up on more midfielders and continue to have all the same issues.
Seems almost certain they will add a McKercher, Reid or both which only adds to their mids strength.

They are so deep in the hole that purely drafting is going to get them nowhere. They seem to think every young player they draft will be Sheezel as well and hit the ground running. The draftees don’t come on or some players development stall (as is natural) and they will easily be worse than this year.

I agree. Their top end will be good, its almost impossible for them not to be, bit they still have a horrible list balance. s**t defensive unit, uninspiring forward line, poor rucks. It's part of the reason why the assistance that has been given to them is so pointless, they'll just load up on more midfielders and continue to have all the same issues.

Yup - giving a midfield heavy side assistance in 2 consecutive midfield heavy drafts will definitely do the trick!

Interesting watch.
Take Wardlaw out, which is likely with paper hamstrings and nick Larkey will be 30 in 5 years that means they have to redraft almost every tall on their list or trade for new talls that are devoid across the whole of the afl.

All it will take is 1/2 injuries and them not drafting right on talls and we will back here pissing on the pan handlers - they are clearly going for pick 1 again next year a real bottom out strategy which is going to be horrible place to build a winning culture from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back