Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" Review, Largest M'ship Drop/Lowest Social Growth, 🎵Caul(field) Me Maybe 🎵

Remove this Banner Ad

The actual grand final win and season 2021 in isolation was a thing of beauty. Don't get me wrong.
Way happier times than how 2022 and 2023 ended.

But just imagine going to the MCG 3 times in September, belting the living snot out Brisbane, Geelong and the Dogs and then going absolutely berserk in Swan Street as we celebrate our drought breaking flag. I know you can't turn back time, but it would've been really nice!

I feel as a supporter group we missed out on a once in a life time opportunity and only another flag, at the G, will rectify that. I don't want to have to live through another grand final via BT and Brayshaw.
Honestly think we wouldn't have won it in Melbourne, so I'll take it.

Honestly think we wouldn't have won it in Melbourne, so I'll take it.
Fair call.

Our MCG record in the second half of 2021 was pretty mediocre.

We had an average win over Essendon, had a shock loss to GWS, had a stunning (in a bad way) draw against Hawthorn, failed a big test against the Dogs and finally had a comfortable win over Adelaide but fell asleep mid game.

I mean, it's suss, no doubt about that. And yeah, there was a (trigger warning for the usual suspects) RUMOUR another player was dragged into the club with their manager due to off field behaviour during the offsseason.
I've heard it was Hunter. I've heard the club were more than happy to ship him off. I highly doubt he will get another contract. Horrible off field influence supposedly. Not surprised in the slightest. Was always a risk.

Another one. Strewth. We have to stop this trainwreck. WTF happened.
The players look fit though and in good spirits.
We have time to get back on track.
Its going to be an interesting first few rounds. I think we'll know very early on whether this season will be OK or a bust.

Gawn said in the past players returning from the off-season overweight would be sent to “fat club” which created “anxiety”.

“I get we’re elite performers are elite athletes and we should be keeping our bodies to a certain level, but that doesn’t help,” he said.,

“If I come back top-heavy I will feel bad and get through it with our high-performance coach and dietician.”

That's some of the softest shit I've ever heard in my life. Coming back not in the right condition to be a pro athlete causes 'anxiety'
Yeah it ****ing should because you aren't taking your job seriously

That's some of the softest s**t I've ever heard in my life. Coming back not in the right condition to be a pro athlete causes 'anxiety'
Yeah it ******* should because you aren't taking your job seriously
Max asked the AFL to stop listing weights. :moustache:

That's some of the softest s**t I've ever heard in my life. Coming back not in the right condition to be a pro athlete causes 'anxiety'
Yeah it ******* should because you aren't taking your job seriously
homer simpson GIF

Tbf i couldn't care either way about player weights. If they look overweight, they look overweight. I can understand them not publishing them it always seemed like a staff and player need to know thing. But i also get members want their athletes in prime condition when they sink their money into a football team that pays their contracts. Either way i'm not torn, i never even bought a season guide in my life and if i did i wouldn't be going straight to player weights if i did. So meh, i don't think it's worth caring about either way

Tbf i couldn't care either way about player weights. If they look overweight, they look overweight. I can understand them not publishing them it always seemed like a staff and player need to know thing. But i also get members want their athletes in prime condition when they sink their money into a football team that pays their contracts. Either way i'm not torn, i never even bought a season guide in my life and if i did i wouldn't be going straight to player weights if i did. So meh, i don't think it's worth caring about either way
Yep, newer generations are more precious than before. It's not the 80s anymore. People can cry all they want but its only going to get more frustrating for you. Concussion is being taken seriously, more minorities playing the sport than ever before, the AFLW is up and running well. I think there's plenty of good in modern footy as well. As much as some of us who grew up enjoying Plugger cave blokes heads in back in the day, reality is Plugger never had to play in the modern game. For better or worse, player anxieties are now being taken seriously. More people going to the sport than ever, so the AFL aren't going to look backwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The population is bigger than ever before so more people going than ever before is hardly surprising or proof that the AFL has done a great job.
I never said the AFL were doing a good job. There's plenty that IS good about modern footy and that's why we're still here taking interest. But it's pointless pining for days gone by. Plenty of young people love the AFL because they know no better. All sports move with the times. Us old enough to know what footy was like back then have to accept the change or move onto a different interest.

I do feel like what Roos said on open mike is somewhat true. The game was in good shape back when, but broadcasters also cherry picked the best teams and games to throw on AFL today and Saturday Night Replay. You'd pick up play with a team blowing away another team with amazing footy in the third quarter or the end of a close game they captured. There was some disgusting footy being played back then too. I will say though the majority of it in perfect conditions was amazing free flowing with no zone defences and shit though, don't take my point as ragging on old footy. Just an observation I tend to agree with, because going through a lot of replays they really did filter out a bit

There are both equally things I like and dislike about the old game and the modern game

I do feel like what Roos said on open mike is somewhat true. The game was in good shape back when, but broadcasters also cherry picked the best teams and games to throw on AFL today and Saturday Night Replay. You'd pick up play with a team blowing away another team with amazing footy in the third quarter or the end of a close game they captured. There was some disgusting footy being played back then too. I will say though the majority of it in perfect conditions was amazing free flowing with no zone defences and s**t though, don't take my point as ragging on old footy. Just an observation I tend to agree with, because going through a lot of replays they really did filter out a bit

There are both equally things I like and dislike about the old game and the modern game
The game has always evolved. The bones of it is still there. That's why we still take interest. Levels of interest of course can fluctuate but we're all still here talking about the game. I saw some absolute putrid games back in the 80s too. Loved the 1on1 contested stuff, but those days are long gone.

Now that I think about it, Mr Burns is actually pretty decent in this episode. Giving his workers a five minute brain break with some fresh air and excersise is damn good management.
Push out the jive. Bring in the love.

I've heard it was Hunter. I've heard the club were more than happy to ship him off. I highly doubt he will get another contract. Horrible off field influence supposedly. Not surprised in the slightest. Was always a risk.
despite this I've been really happy with how Hunter has been playing for us and what he did for us last season his footwork was great but he's in his last few years of playing AFL, then Poluter will come in (Hunt 2.0)

Saw some behind the scenes photo's for photo day on the socials. The monogram on the front under the zurich logo does not look good imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" Review, Largest M'ship Drop/Lowest Social Growth, 🎵Caul(field) Me Maybe 🎵

Remove this Banner Ad

Back