Gerald Fitzgerald

Remove this Banner Ad

stevo10

Senior List
Apr 18, 2001
I don't know really anything about this guy, but hearing him speak at a couple of Port matches i've made it to he really impressed me. Came across as having a great tactical mind and his positiveness and teaching of players seemed outstanding. Any thoughts from Port watchers?

On SEN the other day they were talking about the VFL coaches, and they said that Gerard FitzGerald is easily the best coach in the VFL, and they were bewildered as to why he'd never got a job coaching in the AFL....

As I understand, Gerard Fiztgerald coached North Ballarat to two consecutive flags in 1998 and 1999 in the Ballarat league, and continued as senior coach of the Roosters in their first years in the VFL. He last year got the job as coach of Springvale at very late notice, and did not get a chance to change their list much.

As you know Ports board managed to secure him as senior coach this season after David Dunbar left after allegedly had a fall out with the President. (Dunbar is now an assistant coach at Fremantle)

Dunbar had the best win loss ratio of any coach in the VFL over the last three consecutive years, so it was a bit of a surprise to see him go. Nor was the reason ever publicly given

Originally posted by onslaught
Dunbar had the best win loss ratio of any coach in the VFL over the last three consecutive years, so it was a bit of a surprise to see him go. Nor was the reason ever publicly given
right, so the reason wasn't publicly given.

what's the rumour Onslaught?

ons and harvs

The rumour i heard wasa that Dunbar and the port pres Peter Sultry didn't get on at all and as dunbar was pushing for more roos players, he turned up to roos training, i guess they thought he was more pro-north than pro-port.

Paul

Originally posted by Paulkanga2000
ons and harvs

The rumour i heard wasa that Dunbar and the port pres Peter Sultry didn't get on at all and as dunbar was pushing for more roos players, he turned up to roos training, i guess they thought he was more pro-north than pro-port.

Paul

There seems t be more Roos players this year than last year, could it be that Dunbar was more pro Port and wasn;t interested in the Nth relationship and subsequently got the boot.

The VFL is now more about bringing young players on to play AFL and not winning at all costs to keep coaching records intact by playing a team of VFL journeymen.

Gerald seems to be a teaching coach with a good knowledge of fundementals, he's great for the kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have heard a few different stories regarding the departure of Dunbar at the end of last season.

But none that I will mention here (all the stories are second and third hand anyway). I believe he did get paid out about $50K for the remaining 1 year on his contract though.

Always a little disappointing to see former players fall out with the club. Hopefully it will be patched up in the future.

Its good to see the previous coach Neil Ross about the club, who is now coaching our aligned side Oakleigh Chargers for the 2nd or 3rd year.. The Chargers are having a good year so far.

Ons

Do you mean that the Chargers are aligned with Port? how does this work?

Also mate, I meant to ask how Shore went this week, I noticed that he was one of four in the best players in the paper.

Unfortunately I missed the game, which I was looking forward to seeing as I had to go to the bush at the last minute.

Cheers

Originally posted by greg
Ons

Do you mean that the Chargers are aligned with Port? how does this work?

Also mate, I meant to ask how Shore went this week, I noticed that he was one of four in the best players in the paper.

Unfortunately I missed the game, which I was looking forward to seeing as I had to go to the bush at the last minute.

Cheers

Oakleigh Chargers play in the TAC Cup Under 18 against Calder Cannons, Western Jes etc. Oakleigh Chargers are aligned to Port Melbourne by players when finished at Oakleigh Chagers and dont get drafted or rookie listed by the AFL Clubs can then go and play for Port Melbourne if they are good enough or want to. I am pretty sure how that works. Coburg and Calder Cannons have a similar thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerald Fitzgerald

Remove this Banner Ad

Back