GF DVD Quality

Remove this Banner Ad

joe444

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2006
Franga
AFL Club
Geelong
(probably my only ever OP in a Collingwood board)

Last year's DVD (2022) quality was shocking. Without going into tech details, it basically looked like 25fps progressive, which means it has that "jittery" look you may associate with watching most games on kayo. Melbourne fans were also furious about this in 2021.

This is because of the new distributor, Madman. Did you guys notice the same issue this year, because after some b!tching from me last year, Madman promised to fix it.

Don't get me started on the lack of bonus material in the 2022 release, either.

Last year's DVD (2022) quality was shocking. Without going into tech details, it basically looked like 25fps progressive, which means it has that "jittery" look you may associate with watching most games on kayo. Melbourne fans were also furious about this in 2021.

This is because of the new distributor, Madman. Did you guys notice the same issue this year, because after some b!tching from me last year, Madman promised to fix it.

I haven't seen the standard definition DVD, but the blu-ray one looks fine, but its only the Grand Final. Unfortunately, there is a glitch in the SEN commentary on the blu-ray DVD which completely spoils the 2nd quarter. I took mine back because of it. They are suppose to be reissuing it but I haven't heard whether its been fixed yet though.

Unfortunately can't speak to the DVD as I only have the Blu-ray and the quality seems pretty good on the picture side. Bit rate seems decent enough.

The SEN audio track is buggered from late in the second quarter but Madman are sending our replacements.

My assumption is:

• They don't sell enough DVDs or Blu-rays to care
  • Those who DO buy them don't demand better

What pisses me off though? It's such a cheap and easy process to make these Blu-rays and DVDs that the fact these are such low effort is an indictment on all involved. Like, they don't even bother putting chapters in for all the Goal like Kayo does.

If I buy the Blu-ray should I wait for this problem to be fixed

IF you don't have it already then yeah you should wait.

I got one but sent Madman a E-Mail with a Picture of me Holding the Blu-Ray and they said they get your Address then Send it out when the Fixed Copies come out

If I buy the Blu-ray should I wait for this problem to be fixed
It’s personal preference. I personally kept mine because even with the glitch the SEN call is an infinitely better call than the 7 call so I just mute it for the last 2.30 of the second quarter. Also the triple m call which whilst not as good as SEN call is much better than channel 7 and has no glitch (haven’t tried the 3aw call yet). I personally don’t want to have to wait to watch the GF with an alternative call to the channel 7 one. And the other reason for keeping mine with the glitch is that everyone is assuming that there will some sort of announcement once the Blu rays are released without the glitch. Whilst this would be a smart money making approach I think there is at least a 50/50 chance that if the fix it it’ll be released without any announcement so people may not find out except via word of mouth which requires people to buy it and know to tell people it’s fixed.

even with the glitch the SEN call is an infinitely better call than the 7 call so I just mute it for the last 2.30 of the second quarter. Also the triple m call which whilst not as good as SEN call is much better than channel 7 and has no glitch (haven’t tried the 3aw call yet).
The other calls are decent, though there's a seething hatred for Collingwood bubbling under the surface in the Triple M call. Still, they actually manage to muster excitement when we kick a goal.

SEN call is best, and the 3AW/Triple M calls are fine for the last 2:30 of the second quarter when the audio glitches out.

The other calls are decent, though there's a seething hatred for Collingwood bubbling under the surface in the Triple M call. Still, they actually manage to muster excitement when we kick a goal.

SEN call is best, and the 3AW/Triple M calls are fine for the last 2:30 of the second quarter when the audio glitches out.
The MMM call itself is OK, but that fat Hawthorn pig's hatred and disappointment are so obvious.

The MMM call itself is OK, but that fat Hawthorn pig's hatred and disappointment are so obvious.
Jb hi fi are showing the blu-ray and the victory pack, which includes the blu-ray, as a new release, anyone know if this is the corrected version. I’m going over this arvo so will let you know if I can get any useful info from the spuds there.

Jb hi fi are showing the blu-ray and the victory pack, which includes the blu-ray, as
It was the victory pack (GF bluray + other finals DVD) that has a new release date of 29 Nov. As expected no one at JB could tell me if it’s the corrected blu ray. I’ll try an contact Madman to see if they’re any smarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does any one know if there is a digital copy we can purchase? I would like to have a copy for my phone/tablet to watch while on the go.

Although I already have digital copies thanks to a poster on BF, I would like to get my hands on a legal one that would be of the highest quality (I hope).

You have to wonder who the spuds are at the AFL that negotiate the tv rights deal. Surely you would DEMAND all finals games be broadcast in 4K and any video releases also be in 4K. Its 2023 for f...k sakes.

On SM-N986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Speaking of it being 2023, I’m suprised that DVD and Blue Ray are actually still a thing in 2023?

OK, my replacement blu-ray disc arrived today. And that's all it was, a disc in a padded post bag - no new cover.

The last 2:30 of the second quarter of the SEN commentary is perfect!!

The only difference you can see on the disc itself is the number at the bottom. The number on my dodgy one is AFL006BR - the number on the new one is AFL006BRA. So, check the number before you buy one.

Just in time for Christmas!!

Last edited:
OK, my replacement blu-ray disc arrived today. And that's all it was, a disc in a padded post bag - no new cover.

The only difference you can see on the disc itself if the number at the bottom. The number on my dodgy one is AFL006BR - the number on the new one is AFL006BRA. So, check the number before you buy one.

Awesome! Might have to finally buy a copy

The only difference you can see on the disc itself is the number at the bottom. The number on my dodgy one is AFL006BR - the number on the new one is AFL006BRA. So, check the number before you buy one.

Thanks, I hope the number is visible on the Victory Pack itself.

How did you get this fixed if you don’t mind me asking? Who’d you reach out to?

Remove this Banner Ad

GF DVD Quality

Remove this Banner Ad

Back