Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say C.Jones screams the biggest bust to me.

Small, will be outside at AFL level, poor decision making, gets pushed off the ball at division 2 level, no standout skill other than endurance which others will get anyway in an AFL environment.

I see Darcy Lang II

I say this because I think we will draft him at the expense of better options.

I really hope I’m wrong.

The only players invited to the draft are the ones that the AFL believes are a chance to be selected in the top 10. There's generally something like 20-25 players invited to the night, and not all are a certainty to go first round (this has happened before). Only players selected in the top 10 will be presented on stage.

This year the draft is split over two nights: Thursday (22nd Nov) will be the first round only, and Friday (23rd Nov) will be the remainder of the National Draft, plus the pre-season and rookie drafts. Clubs make their selections using a computer now, and no longer call out player's names and numbers.
Yeah i understand how the draft works but I was just curious because people like Curtis Taylor and Sam Sturt were invited to this years draft but I wouldn't say they are a realistic top 10. Was just seeing if something else happens considering how short it will be and they've made a whole night for first rounders - but clearly not

It’s interesting the pre season and rookie drafts will be on day 2 as opposed to be a week or so after the main draft. The pre season draft should be removed. But with less time it’ll be interesting to see the rookie selections. Will clubs be more likely to select players who weren’t drafted? How would it effect mature picks? It’s seemed in the past clubs have assessed their list then made picks based on reflection.

Plenty of strong opinions on here... and there will be some serious grrr's post draft most are not going to be happy I suspect.
I see Jordon Clark has glandular fever.......not what you want in pre-season.

Maybe your thread should be the one player you absolutely positively you don't want to draft.... ???

Lets face it most of the players have some attributes.. and what we need is a bit of luck ... but what we cant do is go for broke and come up snake eyes... as this article says we really need this draft to be a win...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-13/comment-toppedup-cats-need-to-shift-focus-to-draft

Last edited:
Gotta say C.Jones screams the biggest bust to me.

Small, will be outside at AFL level, poor decision making, gets pushed off the ball at division 2 level, no standout skill other than endurance which others will get anyway in an AFL environment.

I see Darcy Lang II

I say this because I think we will draft him at the expense of better options.

I really hope I’m wrong.

I have quite a number in front of him too.

Plenty of strong opinions on here... and there will be some serious grrr's post draft most are not going to be happy I suspect.

Maybe your thread should be the one player you absolutely positively you don't want to draft.... ???

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-13/comment-toppedup-cats-need-to-shift-focus-to-draft

Hahaha...never thought of that....some posters would probably pick the same guy in both threads!!!

Potential for egg-on-face and vitriolic response to Wells' pick.....I suspect your into this idea for the lolz.....!!

Ok, so Shifter and Twomey have us picking Chayce Jones in their mock draft
Hately to Adelaide at 7 and Caldwell to GWS pick 10
Sturt went at 22
Chayce Jones is not who I would pick

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, so Shifter and Twomey have us picking Chayce Jones in their mock draft
Hately to Adelaide at 7 and Caldwell to GWS pick 10
Sturt went at 22
Chayce Jones is not who I would pick

Shifter and Twomey are always a long way off the mark in comparison to other phantoms. The strong word is Jones is all but a certain top 10 pick now, so he won’t even last until our pick anyway.

Shifter and Twomey are always a long way off the mark in comparison to other phantoms. The strong word is Jones is all but a certain top 10 pick now, so he won’t even last until our pick anyway.
Hope you're right. Can't believe he's top 10 though

1 Walsh
2 Lukosius
3. Rankine
4. B.Smith
5 M.King
6. B.King
7. Rozee
8. Caldwell
9. Clark
10 Hately

you'd think Sturt, Hill, Duursma, Blakey, Thomas Stocker, West, Taylor, West Quaynor before him to0

Well....the highlights package I just looked at looked pretty average to me...He does chase tho...

I'm a big NO to Chayse Jones....which probably means he'll get taken by Wells.

Kolodjashnij 2016/17 knocked his arse for 6

It can take up to a year to kill it off...depending on the severity. Clark may well drift lower on that news.

Not sure I would want him at 14 now...its an important pick for us.

Well....the highlights package I just looked at looked pretty average to me...He does chase tho...

I'm a big NO to Chayse Jones....which probably means he'll get taken by Wells.
Please no!
We need a more talented player at our pick IMHO
Offer our future second with 12 to get GWS pick 9 for Caldwell,
or pick Stocker, Sturt, Hill, Hately, Clark at 12
Someone who can contribute something useful in 2019

Hope you're right. Can't believe he's top 10 though

1 Walsh
2 Lukosius
3. Rankine
4. B.Smith
5 M.King
6. B.King
7. Rozee
8. Caldwell
9. Clark
10. Hately

you'd think Sturt, Hill, Duursma, Blakey, Thomas Stocker, West, Taylor, West Quaynor before him to0

Blakey definitely, the rest all have big question marks. I agree with your top 10, though. All of those players are definitely ahead of Jones. I think the appeal with Jones is his consistency and his performance against men.

It can take up to a year to kill it off...depending on the severity. Clark may well drift lower on that news.

Not sure I would want him at 14 now...its an important pick for us.
It sure is
While we still have Kelly, I'd love to get Caldwell, Pickett, Brownless and Odun
The first three could really add something to our 2019 lineup

Blakey definitely, the rest all have big question marks. I agree with your top 10, though. All of those players are definitely ahead of Jones. I think the appeal with Jones is his consistency and his performance against men.
Sturt, Hill or Taylor could really add to our goalkicking stocks which we'll need with Menzel gone
West Thomas Quaynor and Blakey definitely ahead of him in my eyes
He is a bit meek with his disposal. We really need someone with length and accuracy in their kicking. Preferably both sides of the body

Lets face it most of the players have some attributes.. and what we need is a bit of luck ... but what we cant do is go for broke and come up snake eyes... as this article says we really need this draft to be a win...

I think it has a lot to do with the awkwardness of the pick as well we have.

Sitting just outside the top ten which this year is a very lucrative bunch of kids, with most of us praying and hoping one of the guns we are fond of slides a couple of spots and we get an early Christmas gift.

What will frustrate everyone is actually picking a player that we are probably most likely going to end up with when the top ten goes as everyone predicts.

The difference between where we are and 2-3 spots higher is probably nabbing Jye Caldwell but instead ending up with Sam Sturt or chayce Jones.

Teams with low end first round picks don’t have their heads as much in the clouds hoping something slips and all discussions are around the mark.

I think it has a lot to do with the awkwardness of the pick as well we have.

Sitting just outside the top ten which this year is a very lucrative bunch of kids, with most of us praying and hoping one of the guns we are fond of slides a couple of spots and we get an early Christmas gift.

What will frustrate everyone is actually picking a player that we are probably most likely going to end up with when the top ten goes as everyone predicts.

The difference between where we are and 2-3 spots higher is probably nabbing Jye Caldwell but instead ending up with Sam Sturt or chayce Jones.
Wells did say he was going to go all out to improve our drafting position.
I really think he'll try and trade up from 12 and most likely to GWS pick 9. Caldwell would be gold for us

Sturt, Hill or Taylor could really add to our goalkicking stocks which we'll need with Menzel gone
West Thomas Quaynor and Blakey definitely ahead of him in my eyes
He is a bit meek with his disposal. We really need someone with length and accuracy in their kicking. Preferably both sides of the body

No one we draft this year is going to fill an immediate need. Sturt, Hill and Taylor would all spend most, if not all, of 2019 in the VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back