Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one we draft this year is going to fill an immediate need. Sturt, Hill and Taylor would all spend most, if not all, of 2019 in the VFL.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Rohan playing off half back to give us a bit of run and carry
Leaves the Rat, Hawk, Dahlhaus, Parfitt and kids. I think our forward line could be substantially different this coming season

I think it has a lot to do with the awkwardness of the pick as well we have.

Sitting just outside the top ten which this year is a very lucrative bunch of kids, with most of us praying and hoping one of the guns we are fond of slides a couple of spots and we get an early Christmas gift.

What will frustrate everyone is actually picking a player that we are probably most likely going to end up with when the top ten goes as everyone predicts.

The difference between where we are and 2-3 spots higher is probably nabbing Jye Caldwell but instead ending up with Sam Sturt or chayce Jones.

Teams with low end first round picks don’t have their heads as much in the clouds hoping something slips and all discussions are around the mark.

I think we best get used to the idea that we will probably end up with someone who in some peoples eyes would have been there in the 20's...

but the nabbing of caldwell or sturt or jones or whoever.. we probably will not know for a fair while if the choice was a good one. I have not seen one draft revisited thread where the order stayed the same.

Body shape and lack of runs on the board.... for a p12 flanker high price.
87 disposals last year at TAC ok.

To be fair I am in both your camps. I still have knocks on Hately and am not as high on him as some other people who are paid to recruit blokes but that is the beauty of the game. Everyone has an opinion. I just think that we all get hooked on certain people and then use one off stats to make either points for or against certain players. Statistically Hately is unreal and I think that it is only in real life that you watch and may have some question marks. However, as I have said before I think we him in the end I just had to come back to the fact that at every level he plays, he dominates relative to his age. Therefore I stopped looking for question marks and just had to cop that he is very good.

I also think that same about Sturt although I have seen much less. I think he possessions are irrelevant. Firstly if we are comparing the two it is likely Sturt's hurt factor per possie is much higher and secondly unlike a fulltime mid he is not judged by how often he get's the ball. If he gets it only ten times and game at AFL level but often kicks two or three then he is playing fantastically. Also I think people can get obsessed with positions. I don't care if Sturt is 185, 190 or 195. If he kicks goals he kicks goals.

I think being on the Hately train doesn't mean you can't also be on Sturt's bandwagon. I would take Clark over both but just don't think he will be there.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Rohan playing off half back to give us a bit of run and carry
Leaves the Rat, Hawk, Dahlhaus, Parfitt and kids. I think our forward line could be substantially different this coming season

Rohan and Dahlhaus were specifically recruited to give us spend inside 50.

To be fair I am in both your camps. I still have knocks on Hately and am not as high on him as some other people who are paid to recruit blokes but that is the beauty of the game. Everyone has an opinion. I just think that we all get hooked on certain people and then use one off stats to make either points for or against certain players. Statistically Hately is unreal and I think that it is only in real life that you watch and may have some question marks. However, as I have said before I think we him in the end I just had to come back to the fact that at every level he plays, he dominates relative to his age. Therefore I stopped looking for question marks and just had to cop that he is very good.

I also think that same about Sturt although I have seen much less. I think he possessions are irrelevant. Firstly if we are comparing the two it is likely Sturt's hurt factor per possie is much higher and secondly unlike a fulltime mid he is not judged by how often he get's the ball. If he gets it only ten times and game at AFL level but often kicks two or three then he is playing fantastically. Also I think people can get obsessed with positions. I don't care if Sturt is 185, 190 or 195. If he kicks goals he kicks goals.

I think being on the Hately train doesn't mean you can't also be on Sturt's bandwagon. I would take Clark over both but just don't think he will be there.

Basically at 12 there will be a group of 2-3 players that most should be satisfied with whether it be Hately, Sturt, Clark or RCD. Interesting that the latest mocks of Sheehan etc have Sturt falling into the early 20’s. I’d be surprised.

Is there any chance at all that Caldwell slips to us. Haven't seen him at all apart from his highlights and the guys looks like an absolute jet. Honestly from my limited viewing I would have him ahead of B smith

Tbh, not sure why Noah Gown isn't talked up as a Top 25 prospect... he is a quality player.

I would have total confidence with SavRat, Gown, Kreuger as the key posts in the Forward line for next 10 years, with the pressure smalls/mids.

Is there any chance at all that Caldwell slips to us. Haven't seen him at all apart from his highlights and the guys looks like an absolute jet. Honestly from my limited viewing I would have him ahead of B smith

I think we would need to trade up to get him. Would have to offer the house to get it done I’d say.

I reckon outside of looking good on both sides of his body. Stocker looks vanilla. Any reason why he isn't? People who like him as a player just so I know what I haven't seen or maybe should be seeing.

I also think that same about Sturt although I have seen much less. I think he possessions are irrelevant. Firstly if we are comparing the two it is likely Sturt's hurt factor per possie is much higher and rdsecondly unlike a fulltime mid he is not judged by how often he get's the ball. If he gets it only ten times and game at AFL level but often kicks two or three then he is playing fantastically. Also I think people can get obsessed with positions. I don't care if Sturt is 185, 190 or 195. If he kicks goals he kicks goals.

Sturt played 6 TAC games at the end of the season for 76 possessions actually and 11 goals. Av 12.5 and 1.83 a game.
Dandenong Stingrays were premiers and hardly lost a game, so it's not like he wouldn't have been fed plenty of ball.
Remember his was just State U18's, not rep or senior level footy.
Hately won your U23 award in the SANFL so l'd be taking him over Clarke as well every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
He beat Lukosius(only other 18 yr old) and the rest and was judged best young U23 talent, if that's not good enough then l don't know what is.
But most of all is we need a big mid, we're weak at first use, this is a well known deficiency of ours across the comp.
Just reckon in light of what we know we make our best informed decision based on whats' the guy achieved and our needs.
For me Hately ticks every box nicely and has the runs on board to prove it.
Respect your opinions.

Last edited:
Tbh, not sure why Noah Gown isn't talked up as a Top 25 prospect... he is a quality player.

I would have total confidence with SavRat, Gown, Kreuger as the key posts in the Forward line for next 10 years, with the pressure smalls/mids.

Yes...I like Gown...very good hands and looks to deliver well by hand and foot....does he fit the profile Wells is looking for is probably the main question...

I reckon outside of looking good on both sides of his body. Stocker looks vanilla. Any reason why he isn't? People who like him as a player just so I know what I haven't seen or maybe should be seeing.

Well from the highlights package he is good on both sides hand and foot, tackles hard, elusive and hits targets. Can't be sure about pace but Knightmare wrote the following.....

13. Liam Stocker (VIC)
Best position:
Inside midfield
Height, weight: 183cm, 83kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 5-20
Similar to: David Armitage
Rationale: Despite missing the Under-18 Championships due to a broken jaw, Stocker has quietly been playing a consistent brand of football for Sandringham and has been one of the stoppage stars of the TAC Cup. Drops as others rise.
September Ranking: 12
Strengths:
Stoppage work
Contested ball-winning
Reacts quickest to 50/50 balls
Tackling
Distribution by hand in heavy traffic
Strength to shrug tackles
Endurance
Work rate
Agility
Acceleration over the first 10m
Clean skills
Kicking to targets inside 50m
Weaknesses:
No clear second position
Outside accumulation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sturt played 6 TAC games at the end of the season for 76 possessions actually and 11 goals. Av 12.5 and 1.83 a game.
Dandenong Stingrays were premiers and hardly lost a game, so it's not like he wouldn't have been feed plenty of ball.
Hately won your U23 award in the SANFL so l'd be taking him over Clarke as well every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
He beat Lukosius(only other 18 yr old) and the rest and was judged best young U23 talent, if that's not good enough then l don't know what is.
But most of all is we need a big mid, we're weak at first use, this is a well known deficiency of ours across the comp.
Just reckon in light of what we know we make our best informed decision based on whats' the guy achieved and our needs.
Respect your opinions.
Got to stop just reading stats. If Hately wasn't tall than he wouldn't be anymore talked about anymore than a tom Lewis from sturt. Average pace, average disposal, average skills but gets a lot of ball. Always seems to be rushed in his disposal. I don't seen any standout attributes other than being tall and I feel his weaknesses will be exposed in the afl.

Sturt on the other hand has a lot of development in him. Has attributes that translate to afl. He is a sweet kick of the football and creates. Moves well and it's always a good sign when a guy that skinny has such sticky hands as he is not relying on size. I can definitely see the argument that it is to early though as he has less exposed form.

Dandenong Stingrays were premiers and hardly lost a game, so it's not like he wouldn't have been feed plenty of ball.
Respect your opinions.

Yeah I know exactly what you are saying but kids at that age progress at such different rates that you have to be careful to base too much on what they have done whilst taking your eye of what they might do. Jackson has been enormous but he has been a man for a while from a maturity/body shape perspective. Now he still has the ability to use his elite VO2 max to become an endurance beast at the next level but his opportunity for growth overall isn't anywhere near as high as Clarke in my humble opinion. Clarke has primarily concentrated on cricket until this year. Then he went from playing 18s to playing state to playing league very very quickly. Therefore it could be argued that Hately has achieved more at this stage but Clarke is likely to achieve more going forward. Now I am not saying you won't be right all I am saying is that there are a lot of factors outside of what they have achieved so far to take into account. Basically I just think Clarke has more upside

All of those players listed could be components of a good team but I don't think any will be a star. I do like gown though

Yeah I did forget about that. Totally agreed. If there is any club that shouldn't be taking injury risks at our top pick it is us. Ok back to Clarke

Sorry to be a party pooper...announced today Clark has glandular fever and could miss at least some of the pre-season....

Well from the highlights package he is good on both sides hand and foot, tackles hard, elusive and hits targets. Can't be sure about pace but Knightmare wrote the following.....

13. Liam Stocker (VIC)
Best position:
Inside midfield
Height, weight: 183cm, 83kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 5-20
Similar to: David Armitage
Rationale: Despite missing the Under-18 Championships due to a broken jaw, Stocker has quietly been playing a consistent brand of football for Sandringham and has been one of the stoppage stars of the TAC Cup. Drops as others rise.
September Ranking: 12
Strengths:
Stoppage work
Contested ball-winning
Reacts quickest to 50/50 balls
Tackling
Distribution by hand in heavy traffic
Strength to shrug tackles
Endurance
Work rate
Agility
Acceleration over the first 10m
Clean skills
Kicking to targets inside 50m
Weaknesses:
No clear second position
Outside accumulation

Could not have said it better myself than Knightmare's comparison. He screams David Armitage to me and I definiltey don't want that with pick 12. Happy to pass that being the case. Assuming that people like Hately and Sturt and even Duursma are around I definitely want those types ahead of an Armitage. I just think especially with a Hately he does everything that Stocker does except he is much bigger as an inside mid and kicks more goals.

Sorry to be a party pooper...announced today Clark has glandular fever and could miss at least some of the pre-season....

I have no problem with that whatsoever. Infact I hope it somehow makes him drop to us although it will almost certainly have no bearing. It is the hamstring type issues that I am much more worried about. It is the same thing if the kid has a broken wrist and won't be at preseason for the first two months. I have no concern with that at all. We aren't drafting someone at 12 for next year unless we are very very lucky. Hatley and Clarke could both contribute next year. Pretty sure although I like him Sturt won't be ready at all.

A lot of experts are of the opinion that you don't use the national draft to fill gaps or needs on your list. You simply pick the best player available at your pick, especially early on. With free agency now, you don't have to use draft picks to fill gaps and you can get players that can slot straight in. I share this view, though I do agree that we have too many 180cm MID/FWD types.

Has Steven Wells ever done this?

Yes...I like Gown...very good hands and looks to deliver well by hand and foot....does he fit the profile Wells is looking for is probably the main question...
Doesn't look like a type that Wells would go for tbh. However, he really impresses me with his contested marking. Its like he has this extra edge of competitiveness when it comes to one on one with his opponent.

Blokes like Blakey and the King twins, they tend to blow their opponents on the lead, whereas Gown can use his body pretty damn good. Gown tackles a bit for a big bloke.

Hugo Mun looks like Tomahawk clone, but probably not as dominant, and probably more like a Levi Casboult but with a better kicking action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back