Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard last night that Mason WOOD looking for a 3 year deal.
Ideal mature player to replace some mature players like Hawk, Tuohy, Duncan, Rohan & Stanley who likely won't be in the locker room in 2025.
A 30 year old Free Agent who is a real utility type player.
Would be an ideal winger for us IMO.
He'd have 2 decent years in him whilst we go through our transition is my thinking.

Mason is good but hes not worth 3 years at his age.

Always depends on the cash

I doubt it would be huge money but id be uncomfortable giving 3 years at his age and injury history (admittedly hes been more durable the last couple of years).

That said we will have spots to fill with cheap FAs to cover retirements and hes a former falcon.
But its not what i would do.

I would have a problem with it if he was guaranteed games though.
He won't be, but the Geelong way has always been about letting kids develop before they're thrown to the wolves.

It's a huge reason why our random picks in the 4th round end up being better than other clubs top 10 picks. It's all about the development process.

Take this for example, in 2025:

Knevitt > Touhy
Neale > Hawkins
Humphries > Duncan
Conway > Stanley
Mullin > Bews
Henry > Rohan
Clohesy > Parfitt
Mannagh > Stengle (?)

It means our depth is going to be kids in Stevens, Clohesy, O'Sullivan, Wiltshire, Furphy, Edwards, and whatever picks we take this year.

Even if you throw in Bailey Smith, that's one player, and the depth is still Knevitt/Clohesy who are just more kids.

We're going to need players like Wood, or we're well and truly f***ed if injuries hit.

It's forcing kids into a sink or swim scenario which hasn't been our way for 20+ years.

He won't be, but the Geelong way has always been about letting kids develop before they're thrown to the wolves.

It's a huge reason why our random picks in the 4th round end up being better than other clubs top 10 picks. It's all about the development process.

Take this for example, in 2025:

Knevitt > Touhy
Neale > Hawkins
Humphries > Duncan
Conway > Stanley
Mullin > Bews
Henry > Rohan
Clohesy > Parfitt
Mannagh > Stengle (?)

It means our depth is going to be kids in Stevens, Clohesy, O'Sullivan, Wiltshire, Furphy, Edwards, and whatever picks we take this year.

Even if you throw in Bailey Smith, that's one player, and the depth is still Knevitt/Clohesy who are just more kids.

We're going to need players like Wood, or we're well and truly f***ed if injuries hit.

It's forcing kids into a sink or swim scenario which hasn't been our way for 20+ years.
Yeah I agree you need to be playing kids on the clubs terms not the kids, but I don't know that if I was mason I'd sign a contract to move to play vfl.

I think a lot of those kids are at the stage where they can be role players, you need to recruit stars to lead them not older role players to key them in the 2s

Wait wood is 31? Jeez I'm getting old fast
He is 31 this September.

Look maybe he does an Isaac Smith for us, and I would be stoked if he did, but Smith was an exceptional player with a consistent career.

Wood has only really been very good the last 2 seasons at the Saints [haven't seen many Saints games in 2024 so can't comment on this year].

That said, we really do need a pacey left foot winger.

Only just saw your post.
My info came direct. As in from someone who was with him in the last two weeks and has known him since birth.

And the comment was, might be at Geelong next year.
So who knows. But we are interested.

And he will get through 5 years easy. His dad was a late developer.
We might have been with the same guy lol 😂
Same scenario with the same sort of fellow.
He’s in the best physical shape he’s been since he left Norf I’ve been told.
He’s been great with the younger players down at Moorabbin.
I can see exactly what we are looking at if they are interested in bringing him in.

It's just another senior body.

He's not the answer to anything. He's not going to be the driver of a premiership push...but he can play a role for a couple years while somebody else develops.

Rohan, Duncan, Hawkins, Stanley, Bews, Touhy, & Hardie are all odds on to be gone at the end of this year.

Guth & Blitz will stay, but are a shadow of their former selves. Danger isn't, but can't stay on the park.

Leaves only Stewart & Cameron as experienced players who have seen it all, and are non negotiable best 22.
You left out my boy Zuthrie

Tom Morris now pointing towards Stengle leaving to highest bidder. I just can't believe we wouldn't offer him a comparable contract.

Such a shame after Max Holmes and Will Hayward also left their clubs for the highest offers too 🙃

It is never been a Geelong thing to lowball star players. I watched the extended SEN video and Cornes and Buckley were both adamant that if there's only $50-100k per year between our offer and other offers, Tyson will likely stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a shame after Max Holmes and Will Hayward also left their clubs for the highest offers too 🙃

It is never been a Geelong thing to lowball star players. I watched the extended SEN video and Cornes and Buckley were both adamant that if there's only $50-100k per year between our offer and other offers, Tyson will likely stay.

You get the feeling it’s more in the 150k-200k region though if clubs are offering in 800k+

You get the feeling it’s more in the 150k-200k region though if clubs are offering in 800k+

It makes no sense why we would only be offering $600k though? The average player wage is $441k and the salary cap increases again next year, which will likely make the average wage $500k+. We should have more salary cap space than most other clubs over the next 12-18 months with so many retirements on the horizon, and only Cameron, Stewart and Holmes on big deals beyond 2025.

I am taking all of these reports with a grain of salt. Only a couple of months ago Tom Morris suggested we were lowballing Holmes and within 48 hours he had signed.

The Cats are mad if they let Stengle leave for the sake of an extra $50-100,000 a year. Sometimes, this policy of 'not paying players overs' just doesn't make sense. This is not the time to be stingy when Tassie is about to come into the competition and dominate the trade/draft periods for a few years. Haven't they learned anything from the past? I firmly believe that the Cats need to stump up the cash in the next few years if they want to keep this side in a Premiership window.

The Cats are mad if they let Stengle leave for the sake of an extra $50-100,000 a year. Sometimes, this policy of 'not paying players overs' just doesn't make sense. This is not the time to be stingy when Tassie is about to come into the competition and dominate the trade/draft periods for a few years. Haven't they learned anything from the past? I firmly believe that the Cats need to stump up the cash in the next few years if they want to keep this side in a Premiership window.
I don’t actually think it’s 50-100k short
I reckon it would be more, I don’t want to lose him
But if he went to the highest Melbourne bidder then finally someone does that instead of picking that’s where I want to be traded “yes I understand he’s a free agent” just liking the fact he’s honest and want the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back