Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don’t care how good of a small forward you are
You don’t overpay for them.

I’d prefer the money for a gun midfielder
How much would you pay Toby Greene?

That is how much you should pay Stengle.

Stengle is the same player as Toby Greene without the hype.

Plus he is less likely to miss games through suspension, and is five years younger.

Actually, I would pay Stengle more than Toby Greene.

I think you could make the argument that Guthrie & Holmes have been our best & most consistent players this year

There's no doubt that Stengle's 2024 season is good, but his 2023 season wasn't great - so I can understand if there's reservations about overpaying him based purely on this year's form, and instead wanting to find balance between his salary & incentives on top of that
I wouldn’t make that argument at all.

If you have watched the games this year, it is clear that Stengle has been our best and most important player.

I understand that 2023 was down, and I was critical of him, but it is clear as day now that his form last year was heavily injury related, and injury he is now over.

He has silenced any doubts about his value, and should be paid like any other star and top 15-20 player in the league.

I've been discussing this at work with a colleague and we both agreed that $700-750k is what he's worth. If it's true, then that is a fair deal.
You and your colleague are seriously undervaluing Stengle.

If we lose him he is not someone you can replace.

Plus he is less likely to miss games through suspension, and is five years younger.

I’m not going to sit here and argue with you about something I definitely don’t agree with.
I’ll just leave you with one comment, Greene has at some stage of his career been touted as the best player in the comp.
Stengle hasn’t even ever been touted as the best forward.

Even though they're small forwards, I wouldn't call Stengle & Greene the sand type of players, at least not in the way they play

Tyson is more a true small forward, while Greene will find himself in the guts offering a level of grunt at times - he just seems to have a bit more versatility to him. Though with more midfield depth now he doesn't do that as much, but Greene's career high of 4.6 clearances per game would be equal third best at the Cats this season

The reality is that both are very good players at what they, but they each offer different positives. I don't know what Greene is earning this season, but looking at his career to date, I could understand why it's more than Tyson is on & likely more than Tyson will be offered

1718611488063.png

Delisted free agents attract compensation picks?

That would be news to me.
I think this is just a terminology error. We picked tyson up as a delisted free agent so the Crows don't get a pick. He retains his unrestricted free agency under the free agent for life clause the afl have.

We're offering him a contract so he isn't actually a delisted free agent, just unrestricted. There a flow chart on the players association website for it. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

In nearly every other sport where performance started lasting longer into careers (ie. players were playing better for longer), PED’s were prominently involved.

“Sport science improvements”. Ha ha

Just sayin’

I get that argument, but my counter is this how many players get OP these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is the key.
IMO Our Window isn't even ajar ATM.
We have a crop of youngsters that will need another 2 maybe 3 years to get that 50 plus games into them.
I think the real window is 3-4 years away and it assumes that 6-8 of our youngsters are as good as we think they are and we recruit a few more that make it.

i dont mind if we protecting the cap with the "lowish" contract offer, but if we saving a couple hundred grand so we can bring in a mason wood or will philips, i do a terry wallace and spew up.

Can they stick a performance clause in his contract in case he fizzles out down the track?

Potentially yes 2 years with a games trigger for a 3rd would make me happier.

I don’t understand the desire to put Duncan out to pasture.

He has been a sound performer this year, probably one of our most consistent players.

The reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.
Are you serious? You really think Duncan been good this year? And been one of our most consistent?
Donald Trump GIF

Thats a bit irreleevant though because gws have more high picks than they know what to do with.

For us normal clubs that dont have that asset the question is do you focus your limited high picks and cap space on small forwards, or mids and key forwards?
The data says a high %of small fwds can come from late picks and lower contracts whereas elite mids and kpfs overhelmingly tend to need to be draftef in the first 2 rounds initially and cost high $ in trades.

Question to you.. What would you rather... Keep Stengle.. or use that pick for Stengle and give it up for Bailey Smith?

Id prefer smith over stengle but if smith isnt coming id probably prefer stengle over pick 15ish.

doubt that pick alone would get you bailey smith. if need to add more, depend what that it.

If you got say band 1 compo for stengle (pick 15 say) that and a r2 should do it for smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back