Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issues with Oliver and mental health are really sad and I feel for the guy.

But it is also a reason why I am not bullish on smith. Unless we have absolute certainty that he is not in the same category we should tread very carefully.

I get that we need mids, but let’s not be rash and jump at the next shiny thing that moves. I don’t want to take another clubs problem off their hands.

The esava contract is a run of the mill bad contract. A couple years too long and a couple hundred thousand too many per year. Nearly all clubs have them.

Oliver on the other hand is a club killer. $6m over 6 years for a player that is not only pretty average on field but divisive off field.

That is the sort of contract that cripples a salary cap and takes a contending club out of its window.

Thank god we don’t have one of them.
It will bury them

The issues with Oliver and mental health are really sad and I feel for the guy.

But it is also a reason why I am not bullish on smith. Unless we have absolute certainty that he is not in the same category we should tread very carefully.

I get that we need mids, but let’s not be rash and jump at the next shiny thing that moves. I don’t want to take another clubs problem off their hands.
Not sure I'd put smith on the same category as Oliver at all for off field indiscretion.

Smith got caught partying once the same way stengle got caught partying. Feels like a completely different tier to what has gone down with Oliver

Not sure I'd put smith on the same category as Oliver at all for off field indiscretion.

Smith got caught partying once the same way stengle got caught partying. Feels like a completely different tier to what has gone down with Oliver
It may well be. But I don’t think Smiths issue are confined to him just getting caught partying. He has been pretty open with his mental health struggles. Let’s just be super diligent and careful with him.

I don’t like it, way too may red flags with smith. We should look elsewhere.

It may well be. But I don’t think Smiths issue are confined to him just getting caught partying. He has been pretty open with his mental health struggles. Let’s just be super diligent and careful with him.

I don’t like it, way too may red flags with smith. We should look elsewhere.

Even that that just reads as him being honest about things most players go through. Him talking about it is just what gen z do. I don’t see a red flag in that and happy to ignore it.

Last edited:
Yes bur grundys a good example of what im saying.
Melb only did it because in the end sydney agreed to pay the whole contract otherwise the trade would have fallen through.
Grundy only had the ? Re if he could get back to his best but he was in good shape physically and no off field issues.
Oliver is clearly in really poor condition (no pre season partying etc) and has a stack of red flags.
Now melb arent going to pay 350k a year til 2029 for him to pay elsewhere and no one is paying him 1mil PA, so tell me how is a deal do able?

The only chance would be if the afl allowed melb out of the contract (took it off their cap) let the contract be ripped up and then let the new club lodge a contract for say 3 years at 600kpa. But that would be fairly unprecedented and why would clayton agree to it when that would be a massive paycut?

Realistically him and melb are stuck with each other.

It would have to be a situation where all parties agree that the current agreement going forward is untenable, and that a clean break is needed by all

You'd need Oliver to agree to having his current contract voided, but I'd also want to see Melbourne have minimal gain in return for Oliver moving - so he's almost treated like a DFA and if there MUST be a trade/compensation for him moving on, then it's like late 3rd or 4th round pick type thing. They shouldn't be able to get Oliver clean off their books and expect a first round pick in return

Even that though just reads as him being honest about things most players go through. Him talking about it is just what gen z do. I don’t see a red flag in that and happy to ignore it.

I also take it as a positive that he is comfortable enough to open up & talk about his struggles

Surely it would be more of a red flag if he was to ignore it, hide it or be dismissive of it

I know from a personal perspective (even being a different Gen), that when having struggles at work it does help to have people to talk to & I've done that before with my now former boss - they've moved on to a much better opportunity, but the trust to talk to them about struggles was really important

Even that though just reads as him being honest about things most players go through. Him talking about it is just what gen z do. I don’t see a red flag in that and happy to ignore it.
I clearly have a lower risk tolerance than you.

Mental health issues + busted knee + poor form for 2 seasons = no thanks for me

Sorry, let me clarify…

I mean no thanks on a lucrative long term deal after giving up a lot of draft capital to acquire.

If he comes on a reasonable short term deal without a large acquisition cost I would do it.

But he won’t, so I wouldn’t.

• Having courage to talk about how he put too much pressure on himself as a fresh draftee
• same injury as Christian Petracca
• played out of position due coach favouring senior players that won him a flag

These red flags are more like apples to me. Red on the outside but scratch the surface and they're either yellow or green on the inside

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, let me clarify…

I mean no thanks on a lucrative long term deal after giving up a lot of draft capital to acquire.

If he comes on a reasonable short term deal without a large acquisition cost I would do it.

So 5 years, one pick in the teens, maybe a second thrown in at worst.

What would you put that down as?

Sorry, let me clarify…

It would certainly be great to get him 70 cents on the dollar.

Not sure if that'll happen though.

As per usual... time will tell.

Dopamine blocking agents. Turns fit people into fatties and very unmotivated. Basically, numbs them into a quasi-zombie mode.

Essentially this. The weight gain is a side effect of heavy medication working.

I'm super pumped to watch this VFL game in an hour.

I think a few players will feel like if they get the job done, a senior spot will be available for one or two of them next week.

Really looking forward to seeing who can step up and claim it.

Hopefully mannagh (hopefully they let him in the midfield) and knevitt. I would say humphries is close given mullin was subbed out.

It would have to be a situation where all parties agree that the current agreement going forward is untenable, and that a clean break is needed by all

You'd need Oliver to agree to having his current contract voided, but I'd also want to see Melbourne have minimal gain in return for Oliver moving - so he's almost treated like a DFA and if there MUST be a trade/compensation for him moving on, then it's like late 3rd or 4th round pick type thing. They shouldn't be able to get Oliver clean off their books and expect a first round pick in return

Yeah thats the scenario i was considering too.
But it would still require oliver to give up something like 3m or more (over what he would have got til 2029) and it would require the afl to let the contract be wiped without melb carrying it in their cap.

Given the ruling they just made re concussion (only a limited amount excluded for 3 years) i doubt they would bend the rules that way for oliver.

Hopefully mannagh (hopefully they let him in the midfield) and knevitt. I would say humphries is close given mullin was subbed out.
Plenty of guys doing a live audition for mine.

Humphries, Mannagh, Clohesy & Hardie... even possibly Stevens + COS.

Then the talls will also be a good watch (not sure who is playing out of them until they run on the ground).

Neale, Conway and Edwards.

There are plenty of guys to keep an eye on.

So 5 years, one pick in the teens, maybe a second thrown in at worst.

What would you put that down as?

Nah id want 3 years (2025 to 2027) no more than say 600k a year.
And say like p40 as the trade to take oliver off their hands.
I dont think thats feasible though.

Plenty of guys doing a live audition for mine.

Humphries, Mannagh, Clohesy & Hardie... even possibly Stevens + COS.

Then the talls will also be a good watch (not sure who is playing out of them until they run on the ground).

Neale, Conway and Edwards.

There are plenty of guys to keep an eye on.

Guys like edwards arent ready yet.
BUT i think conways on audition for the ruck spot (really its his if hes fit enough)
Mannagh is on audition for the spot tuohy should be vacating as is knevitt.
Neale is on audition for hawkins inj unless we go smaller.
Humphries on audition for the small back spot

I would like to see us try clohesy (especially if danger doesnt get off) against fellow kids in ess or hawthorn.

Nah id want 3 years (2025 to 2027) no more than say 600k a year.
And say like p40 as the trade to take oliver off their hands.
I dont think thats feasible though.

I think CTTF's suggestion was for Bailey Smith, not Oliver

Oliver you really don't want to be over paying for

I think CTTF's suggestion was for Bailey Smith, not Oliver

Oliver you really don't want to be over paying for

Sorry i read that wrong.
Smith id do the stengle compo pick (say p14) and a r2/3 (no chance id do 2 firsts).

Oliver id want to be a throwaway pick.

Guys like edwards arent ready yet.
BUT i think conways on audition for the ruck spot (really its his if hes fit enough)
Mannagh is on audition for the spot tuohy should be vacating as is knevitt.
Neale is on audition for hawkins inj unless we go smaller.
Humphries on audition for the small back spot

I would like to see us try clohesy (especially if danger doesnt get off) against fellow kids in ess or hawthorn.

Didn't say he was auditioning... Just the talls will be interesting to watch (looking forward to seeing Edwards again).

I already assume Neale/Conway probably come into the side as long as they get through this game ok.

The guys truly trying to break in are the guys I mentioned above the talls... Mannagh, Humpa, Clohesy, Hardie + possibly even Stevens/COS if they have a blinder.

Bring on the game... Hopefully a bunch of these guys have rippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back