Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edward's body is just as broken as his lol
I don't think either are going to be cursed forever.

Just seems to be the way with young ruckman, particularly those who are still growing. Conway & Edwards are hardly outliers.

We needn't worry regardless. While it would be better if they weren't injured, it's almost always 24-26 that ruckman finally come good.

It's a very slow burn getting there though. Take Xerri/Meek this year as the most recent examples.

It's not Conway or Edwards fault in that respect. Anything you get out of ruckman before that age is a bonus.

Just seems to be the way with young ruckman, particularly those who are still growing. Conway & Edwards are hardly outliers.

We needn't worry regardless. While it would be better if they weren't injured, it's almost always 24-26 that ruckman finally come good.

It's a very slow burn getting there though. Take Xerri/Meek this year as the most recent examples.

It's not Conway or Edwards fault in that respect. Anything you get out of ruckman before that age is a bonus.
I'd prefer us to target Tom De Koning

the ideal situation is that Conway becomes a very good #1 ruck, which would allow SDK take over the blitz “do everything” role.

I fear that we will never see the best of Conway - at this point in his career he has shown no ability to stay healthy.

Thus we need SDK to be at least passable as a #1 ruck, at the moment he is showing promise that he could be more than passable.

I reckon the most likely scenario is that Conway’s body doesn’t stay sound, and SDK becomes our main ruck by default.

And that is completely ignoring Edwards……
Let's not write off Conway's body at this stage

Max Gawn had an injury riddled start too. Conway has played more games than him at the same age

Yeah I was only joking. But it’s a good example of why we need to get a mature backup ruck this offseason. It’s going to be a while until either of them come good.

Yeah I was only joking. But it’s a good example of why we need to get a mature backup ruck this offseason. It’s going to be a while until either of them come good.
If SDK continues his progress in the ruck we don’t need a mature ruck.

I would much rather have SDK in the ruck and a replacement level tall defender, than have a replacement level mature ruck and SDK in the backline.

The upside of SDK running around the field like a wild horse is very high.

If SDK continues his progress in the ruck we don’t need a mature ruck.

I would much rather have SDK in the ruck and a replacement level tall defender, than have a replacement level mature ruck and SDK in the backline.

The upside of SDK running around the field like a wild horse is very high.
I'd rather play an extra small down back then play a replacement level key defender

I'd rather play an extra small down back then play a replacement level key defender
Totally agree. Sometimes I think we are too tall down back, especially with our game style of playing one behind the ball. Henry and Kolo can cover enough and Zac Guthrie who can pick up the third. O’Sullivan will become Kolos replacement in time.

Totally agree. Sometimes I think we are too tall down back, especially with our game style of playing one behind the ball. Henry and Kolo can cover enough and Zac Guthrie who can pick up the third. O’Sullivan will become Kolos replacement in time.

Well how many 1 on 1 marking contests actually happen in a game of football... Can man your KPD posts with clones of Gwilt, if your team defence is solid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your key back is COS who is super agile and can run/play like a hybrid would you do it? It's almost like playing a mid sized defender since he has size of a KPD (198cm/92kg) but his athleticism makes him like a running half back.

He's not a slow clunky KPD like other prototypical ones, for the Allies he played multiple positions he was that versatile.

“A versatile tall who can play any position on the ground, Connor O’Sullivan is composed in possession and aerially prominent from contest to contest.”

"Predominantly, he was utilised as a tall defender and forward, with his aerial ability impressive most.
Fast-forward to 2023, and the AFL Academy member found himself attending centre bounces in Round 1, also spending time up forward before eventually finding a home down back. There, he earned All-Australian honours and was named in the Coates Talent League Team of the Year."

Last edited:
Well how many 1 on 1 marking contests actually happen in a game of football... Can man your KPD posts with clones of Gwilt, if your team defence is solid
This all comes down to how well you defend up the ground and stifle ball movement and force long high kicks… if you allow quick clean movement then it becomes an issue.

A forwards work is the result of the work up the field… and a defenders job is made easy from the defending up the field…

You only need to ask Zac Dawson…

So who have we got as possible additions in a few months?

- Bailey Smith (Looking highly likely)

- Clayton Oliver (Looking unlikely with that albatross of a contract. Won't totally rule it out yet though)

- Ryan Angwin/Riley Garcia (BigFooty rumour mobile)

Anybody else? Feels very Geelong to have a few more up our sleeve that haven't been mentioned, even if they aren't big names.

So who have we got as possible additions in a few months?

- Bailey Smith (Looking highly likely)

- Clayton Oliver (Looking unlikely with that albatross of a contract. Won't totally rule it out yet though)

- Ryan Angwin/Riley Garcia (BigFooty rumour mobile)

Anybody else? Feels very Geelong to have a few more up our sleeve that haven't been mentioned, even if they aren't big names.
We've probably spoken to 20 but honestly I think it's smith or draft

Who will set the record as the fastest matched bid in history

If someone offers tdk well over 1mil and carl match it (which they might) it will push out another very good b22 player. They are already carrying a number of very expensive contracts in curnow, mckay, cripps, walsh, cerra and weitering will get another huge one to stay. Theres only so many of those you can carry. They will probably prioritise tdk but they will lose someone elsewhere.

If someone offers tdk well over 1mil and carl match it (which they might) it will push out another very good b22 player. They are already carrying a number of very expensive contracts in curnow, mckay, cripps, walsh, cerra and weitering will get another huge one to stay. Theres only so many of those you can carry. They will probably prioritise tdk but they will lose someone elsewhere.
Yes but the nature of matching means they can stack the whole of the contract in the last year.

We learned that matching was meaningless in the Cameron trade

Yes but the nature of matching means they can stack the whole of the contract in the last year.

We learned that matching was meaningless in the Cameron trade
GWS matches knowing that it wouldn’t hold up but hoped that it would drive the contract up here , obviously it didn’t but it was a blatant bad faith move that was never going to honoured.. and I’m not too shocked that the AFL signed off on it seeing that GWS is the AFL love child

GWS matches knowing that it wouldn’t hold up but hoped that it would drive the contract up here , obviously it didn’t but it was a blatant bad faith move that was never going to honoured.. and I’m not too shocked that the AFL signed off on it seeing that GWS is the AFL love child
That's the rules. They'll sign off on Carlton matching just the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back