Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I'd offer a strong bid for Cumming. Good size, right age right part of the ground (midfield) and can really play. Getting him as a free agent would be a huge win.
Described as a running half back/wing, not sure that’s a huge need with Humphries, Mullin, Dempsey, Knevitt all younger coming through and Holmes already a standout.

Didn't realize Kolo was only 28, so i can see from his side probably wanting security in his next contract and maximizing what he can earn.

I was surprised he was only 28 when I saw that the other day as well. Doubt he will leave. 3 year deal at Geelong and then take a super top up from Tassie. For leadership for the new team, and coming from the best system in the AFL, he should be the first person they sign, even if his playing ability is waning by that stage.

I don’t understand the resources and opportunities spent on overseas talent when we have enough local talent available. It seems unfair that local Aussies opportunities to play AFL are given to overseas players who have already forged a career and attained success in their own code. Must be difficult for Aussie
kids who have worked so hard
through the talent pathways to then be overlooked for international talent. Anyone else find this frustrating?

I was surprised he was only 28 when I saw that the other day as well. Doubt he will leave. 3 year deal at Geelong and then take a super top up from Tassie. For leadership for the new team, and coming from the best system in the AFL, he should be the first person they sign, even if his playing ability is waning by that stage.

Kolo's played pretty much every game since he was 20 (190 games). He was the one of the few draft successes in a very lean period for the club (2010-2015).

I don’t understand the resources and opportunities spent on overseas talent when we have enough local talent available. It seems unfair that local Aussies opportunities to play AFL are given to overseas players who have already forged a career and attained success in their own code. Must be difficult for Aussie
through the talent pathways to then be overlooked for international talent. Anyone else find this frustrating?

Irish recruits are category B rookies of which there are two on each AFL list. There's another 40-odd spots for local talent.

The recruitment of Irish players or those "new" to the game (Blicavs or Furphy for example) essentially allow teams to tack on an extra couple of players in addition to the max list size

The league is also trying to grow the game, and the recruitment of Irish players is one way of doing that

The recruitment of Irish players or those "new" to the game (Blicavs or Furphy for example) essentially allow teams to tack on an extra couple of players in addition to the max list size

The league is also trying to grow the game, and the recruitment of Irish players is one way of doing that
Yep the 3 Irish boys on our list can all play. I'd love to see as a rookie b, the cats give a gfl overage player a chance a late bloomer, I'm sure there's more tom Stewart's there, when I watch gfl games

I'm not sold on smith. He's last year at the dogs was poor. How's he fit into the Geelong lifestyle? He's an inner eastern suburbs of Melbourne boy, hardly fits the geelong lifestyle. He's a minimum first round pick, coming off a knee. I'm enjoying the development of cark, bruhn, Bowes, and give hardie a game please. I'd think a better pick up would be brodie from the dockers. He'd be a 4th round swap. He's still young.

If we're given up multiple firsts it should be for ldu not smith.

I'd say we'll lose parfitt next year for either a 2nd or 3rd rounder, we need a ruck, Bryan, sweet or even forte are good stop measures for conway to get over he's injuries

I've never been sold on Kolo and I wanted him traded last year, but this year has been easily he's best year of footy. If we are going to use sdk ruck and fwd more, kolo needs a 2 year deal minimum. Allows O'Sullivan time to develop and with stewart showing how good he is in the centre Kolo is needed down back.

I think we're better off with Tauru from Gippsland as our first pick instead of bailey smith intercept tall defender who could be the next Peter knights

I've never been sold on Kolo and I wanted him traded last year, but this year has been easily he's best year of footy. If we are going to use sdk ruck and fwd more, kolo needs a 2 year deal minimum. Allows O'Sullivan time to develop and with stewart showing how good he is in the centre Kolo is needed down back.

I think we're better off with Tauru from Gippsland as our first pick instead of bailey smith intercept tall defender who could be the next Peter knights
We're not using 3 first round picks in 5 years on tall defenders, particularly in a midfield heavy draft.

If we're not getting Smith - or somehow keeping our first round pick - it'll be used on a midfielder, or a player who is earmarked as becoming a midfielder eventually.

Lesser needs like defensive depth and a project forward will be taken later on IMO.

We're not using 3 first round picks in 5 years on tall defenders, particularly in a midfield heavy draft.

If we're not getting Smith - or somehow keeping our first round pick - it'll be used on a midfielder, or a player who is earmarked as becoming a midfielder eventually.

Lesser needs like defensive depth and a project forward will be taken later on IMO.
When it looks more likely sdk will be used further afield and so will stewart, we need defenders. Yes we need mids, but we need a 24 year old more than an 18 year old. We seem to be all in on smith, why not ldu ? To me he's a better fit for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sold on smith. He's last year at the dogs was poor. How's he fit into the Geelong lifestyle? He's an inner eastern suburbs of Melbourne boy, hardly fits the geelong lifestyle. He's a minimum first round pick, coming off a knee. I'm enjoying the development of cark, bruhn, Bowes, and give hardie a game please. I'd think a better pick up would be brodie from the dockers. He'd be a 4th round swap. He's still young.

If we're given up multiple firsts it should be for ldu not smith.

I'd say we'll lose parfitt next year for either a 2nd or 3rd rounder, we need a ruck, Bryan, sweet or even forte are good stop measures for conway to get over he's injuries
He's extremely coachable, highly dedicated. He's half way through his rehab and doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. He'll not only fit but drive the culture we have of players independently taking accountability for their own conditioning.

His form playing wing has been fairly ordinary, good involvements with bad kicking really. We wouldn't be playing him on the wing but his form and ACL injury, which I don't think are issues, will drive the trade cost down. Won't cost 2x firsts.

As for impacting the development of kids, our midfield is hanging on the work of two players right now, a 31 year old that needs to be moved back to the back half at some point and a 34 year old with maybe 30 games left at maximum. Both those guys go out and the kids in the middle get slaughtered. One 24 year old gun in there will give the kids both figurative and literal space to develop in.

Will Brodie can't do that, he doesn't have the tank, won't run defensively. He is the type of player that will do a bit here and there but ultimately won't grow with the group and won't speed up the kids development

LDU is a good shout but not this year. Would be a very good idea to show him some sweet free agency dollars next year.

There's not much in the market for midfielders this year. The money going up has made most happy to stay. But Bailey needs to get away from Bevo for his own career and we are a good fit for him, and he is a pretty good fit for us.

Then after all this he may choose Hawthorn

When it looks more likely sdk will be used further afield and so will stewart, we need defenders. Yes we need mids, but we need a 24 year old more than an 18 year old. We seem to be all in on smith, why not ldu ? To me he's a better fit for us

Because smith wants to come whereas i dont think ldu wants to leave north so long as they pay him enough.

Because smith wants to come whereas i dont think ldu wants to leave north so long as they pay him enough.
lip service I know but Baz eluding to the admittance of the forced absence of not playing creating an enhanced love for what he cant do right now - play footy - augers well for whomever he ends up with

Go Catters

International recruitment is a way for a club to get an advantage as they don’t go through the draft. In an open draft these players would likely go a lot earlier. Guy’s like O’Connor and Mullins athletic testing was elite.High beep tests sub 3 second sprints etc

At the same time they’re people and less likely to move to the other side of the world if they couldn’t pick when they go.

Towards the end of the draft you start getting to very speculative prospects. Guys who clearly lack either the athleticism or the skills. Or are too small. There is a reason why barely anyone is selected in the rookie draft.

Guys like Dempsey are the exception. If not for Covid he probably would have had more exposure.

I think sdk and Stewart in the middle are symptoms of a midfield deficiency not a defensive deficiency

I think sdk and Stewart in the middle are symptoms of a midfield deficiency not a defensive deficiency
won a flag with Stewy and SDK as Defenders.... PFD, Sel, Guth Atkins in the guts.

That MF right there is missung now 600 games of experience and those coming in to replace are learning, injured and will fluctuate.

Id say very much the MF is the reason defenders are being played there. Granted, them in there have helped but IMO thats more of a testament to their skills and flexibility.

Go Catters

In an ideal world Conway would be playing ruck allowing SDK to go back to defence and Guthrie would be playing midfield allowing Stewart to go back.
Sadly we don't live in an ideal world.

So we need those 2 to help out in the midfield until we have replacements back from injury or we trade some in Smith for example.

Because one will likely cost only a single first round pick and we've been linked to for a couple of years

The other would likely have an asking price of multiple top 10 picks if we were to try and pry him from his current club this season while still under contract

Come trade time next season, we may well have both if LDU is open to moving as a FA and North don't match

In an ideal world Conway would be playing ruck allowing SDK to go back to defence and Guthrie would be playing midfield allowing Stewart to go back.
Sadly we don't live in an ideal world.

So we need those 2 to help out in the midfield until we have replacements back from injury or we trade some in Smith for example.
wonder if we try to pass the 1st round pick to carlton for tdk if we miss out on smith. carlton may struggle to pay tdk and want to move him a year early before his contract is up.

play tdk at 1st ruck and move sdk back to defense.

wonder if we try to pass the 1st round pick to carlton for tdk if we miss out on smith. carlton may struggle to pay tdk and want to move him a year early before his contract is up.

play tdk at 1st ruck and move sdk back to defense.

Carlton will want multiple first round picks for TDK based on what he's shown this year

Also, why would they willingly move on the player who is clearly their best ruck option?

Carlton will want multiple first round picks for TDK based on what he's shown this year

Also, why would they willingly move on the player who is clearly their best ruck option?

only assuming they havent extended him end of the year and are letting him going into next year last year of contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back