Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Goodness me the dick measuring insistence on being right is seriously pathetic, go outside and talk to an actual human of the opposite sex or feed the ducks down at the park or something you losers

That's fair. Clark was pretty dominant in his first few VFL games this year when he went back from AFL level. Not Holmes or Dempsey dominant though.

The way he was played late in the year and in VFL finals was a bit strange. He had an ultra defensive role off the back side of stoppages. It was like the role he was playing at AFL level. I thought his defensive work was exceptional and he showed great moments the rare times he got the ball but it's hard to win the ball when you're not at the contest.
Not sure if anyone else can verify, but I did hear Clark was carrying some injuries for most of the year.

Goodness me the dick measuring insistence on being right is seriously pathetic, go outside and talk to an actual human of the opposite sex or feed the ducks down at the park or something you losers
I don't like ducks. Geese are better!

Gotta love the "walk Smith to the PSD" on the Dogs board.

In all seriousness... I truly believe if we say "15 is our best offer" and sit on it, it will get the job done in the last moments of trade-period.

Letting Smith walk and flushing pick 15 down the toilet would be just cutting of your nose to spite your face stuff.

Especially when they are talking about having a crack at Houston and their current best pick is 32.

I do think we will give a bit more, but the Dog's people seem to think that our R1 plus some steak knives is unreasonable.

This 2x R1s talk is la-la land stuff.
You could see months ago that it would play out like the Jordan Clark trade just with a slightly increased value

I'm not convinced either but I believe he's durable so would perhaps represent a decent stop gap at worst until Conway or SDK mature physically.
I am leaning more towards getting no one in as not to stunt others.

If we assume Conway plays seniors then Stanley needs minutes to stay match fit. Also need to develop Furphy and Edwards as well. Vice Versa for Stanley playing seniors.

If we were to get someone I think it needs to be a forward ruck type. Someone who can ruck but is predominantly a forward.

Agree on what I hope happens. He should be ready to explode as a player. But if he's genuinely disillusioned then keeping him is a massive risk.

Obviously if he doesn't request a trade then we don't trade him. But if he does ask for a trade the decision is more about his state of mind and likely attitude if held to his contract rather than anything about his ability.
It's clearly not going to come to this. But I wouldn't be trading him under any realistic circumstances at this point. He's contracted and will be a very important player for us next year. And well beyond that, I believe.

Absolutely no reason to release a contracted player of his calibre, given whatever we'd be offered wouldn't even come close to matching his current value to us.

Probably nobody but as mentioned already... St Kilda at a pinch.

I'm not even sure why I mentioned it, but it must have been that someone else earlier brought it up as I don't think it would happen.

The thing is though... some people are saying they wouldn't trade him for 2x top-10s... so does that mean that he is worth that and it isn't impossible for clubs to want to get him and offer 2x top-10s?

I doubt it happens... but if offered it I think we'd think good and hard about taking it.

As also mention by me and someone else, If we think he might be not 100% committed then now (if offers those picks) is the best chance to cash in on his value.
No club is ever offering us two top-10 picks for SDK. We are every club's dream to lowball with in trade negotiations and that is not going to change.

Even if he wanted to go, we would be absolutely killing it to get even one top-10 pick for him. Not because he's not 'worth it'. Simply because we are Geelong.

#livingintherealworld
#iseeyoudodoro

Come draft night I reckon they'd be much happier with their first selection being #15 over #32.

Getting zero for Smith because of some ego-driven revolt against Geelong would be a shocking result for the Dogs.

Them sending him into the draft isn't anything they should be hoping for... I actually think we'd be a good shot at getting him in the draft (even if we slightly traded up to get him).

But who loses the most out of that? The Dogs lol.. we get our man and they get zero for him... that would be hilarious.

They reckon he is so good they gotta get 2x R1's for him... but if you can't get 2 you might aswell get zero and not 1 defies logic IMO.

You negotiate your hardest and take the best offer you can get come the last moments of trade period.

If they want to get into some other trades eg: Houston and need capital to do so then they might take what's on offer early (which would likely be steak knives less than the last moments of the trade period) and just be done with it.
They're also quite hung up on the idea of not being taken seriously at the trade table despite recently bending Collingwood over so badly in the Treloar trade they were threatening legal action months later.

That Dunkley trade really did some of them in

If we assume Conway plays seniors then Stanley needs minutes to stay match fit. Also need to develop Furphy and Edwards as well. Vice Versa for Stanley playing seniors.

If we were to get someone I think it needs to be a forward ruck type. Someone who can ruck but is predominantly a forward.
I think you're right. No matter how much some here hate it, the club is not going to go out and invest much trade or draft capital in yet another ruckman right now. They believe in Conway, they have a highly-rated young prospect in Edwards, and they have the likes of Blitz and SDK who show some capability as stop-gaps as well. And that's all before you consider Rhys is going on for another year.

Doesn't make sense to carry another journeyman or the like when you've already got that many options on your list. Having said all that, it would be great to catch a break with our young ruck hopes at some point. If Toby or Mitch go down for much of next year as well, it will be massively disappointing.

We may be able to rely on a Stanley/Conway combo. But Stanley could also have hit the wall early and Conway could just....be Conway and be injured for another year. In an ideal world Conway's body matures and he's our man.

No club is ever offering us two top-10 picks for SDK. We are every club's dream to lowball with in trade negotiations and that is not going to change.

Even if he wanted to go, we would be absolutely killing it to get even one top-10 pick for him. Not because he's not 'worth it'. Simply because we are Geelong.

#livingintherealworld
#iseeyoudodoro
Not recently, Mack is the new sheriff in town, and he's a prick 😂

#livingintherealworld
#iseeyoudodoro

Except that this is pretty much the exact opposite view for how opposition fans view Geelong in terms of trade deals

Opposition fans will tell you that Geelong will try to screw over every other team in trades - demanding 1st round picks for our players but only offering 3rd round picks for opposition players

While we aren't quite that bad, we don't role over & accept bullshit, lowball offers for our players - IF SDK was adamant he wanted to be traded this year, the starting point would be 2 x 1st round picks, ideally 1 of them being a top 10 picks and we know that Mackie & co wouldn't back down from that

The idea that we accept unders or lowball offers just isn't true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#livingintherealworld
#iseeyoudodoro
Yeah we get bent over on a regular basis at the trade table 🙄

#livingintherealworld
#iseeyoudodoro
Teams can try and lowball but when was the last time a team did a trade with us for a player that was at the required level of SDK and we got bent over?

Chris Scott's such a joker. Not only does he pick a guy who can't defend he then sends him to JHF.
Mullin also dominated the first quarter vs Sydney, where they had more inside 50s but we got 5 goals in front - was unremarkable for the next 3 quarters IIRC but that first has been forgotten a bit.

Looking at stats, 5 Q1 intercepts and 9 touches (highest for both teams). VERY inconsistent still but has big potential.

Except that this is pretty much the exact opposite view for how opposition fans view Geelong in terms of trade deals

Opposition fans will tell you that Geelong will try to screw over every other team in trades - demanding 1st round picks for our players but only offering 3rd round picks for opposition players

While we aren't quite that bad, we don't role over & accept bullshit, lowball offers for our players - IF SDK was adamant he wanted to be traded this year, the starting point would be 2 x 1st round picks, ideally 1 of them being a top 10 picks and we know that Mackie & co wouldn't back down from that

The idea that we accept unders or lowball offers just isn't true
It's easy not to back down when the player is contracted.

Mullin also dominated the first quarter vs Sydney, where they had more inside 50s but we got 5 goals in front - was unremarkable for the next 3 quarters IIRC but that first has been forgotten a bit.

Looking at stats, 5 Q1 intercepts and 9 touches (highest for both teams). VERY inconsistent still but has big potential.
And what happened in the last quarter against the swans....

NOTE - MOVE ON FROM MATCH REVIEW DISCUSSION

If you want to dissect content from specific matches, find the relevant autopsy or review thread and chat to your hearts content

As per the thread title, "GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists"

Get back on topic with a focus on the upcoming trade week, players we'll be potentially targeting, you'd like to see us targeting or even what may happen around any of our players heading

But sick of the off topic, point scoring attempts in regards to matches from throughout the year - further off topic posts will be deleted

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back