Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Of those three I'd really only consider Brodie, He'd be 26 next year, what is his contract situation

Apparently contracted till 2026. I imagine Freo would be more than happy to get rid of his contract. Erasmus was clearly better in the WAFL as a 20 year old and he looked well off the pace the little bit of AFL he played.

I genuinely don't see how Brodie is going to offer more than Hardie or Parfitt did this year. Clark and Clohesy showed enough to think it's much more worthwhile giving them game time over a struggling mature aged player.

We may as well keep Parfitt if we want a ball winning mid with poor skills and spread. If any of these guys are the solution then we're asking some very worrying questions.

I think it is less about finding a solution and more just looking for more options. We're thinning out our depth, adding a few more AFL capable names to the list to keep the last few players into our 22 at a decent floor won't hurt

I think it is less about finding a solution and more just looking for more options. We're thinning out our depth, adding a few more AFL capable names to the list to keep the last few players into our 22 at a decent floor won't hurt
The hard part about trading for depth is convincing a player to move for depth. I think brodie could get offers where he saw himself playing more

That was my point, we are losing a lot of depth, if guys go down in the top side who are we replacing them with.

Professional clubs are a squad, not just the 23 picked every week.

Apparently contracted till 2026. I imagine Freo would be more than happy to get rid of his contract. Erasmus was clearly better in the WAFL as a 20 year old and he looked well off the pace the little bit of AFL he played.

I genuinely don't see how Brodie is going to offer more than Hardie or Parfitt did this year. Clark and Clohesy showed enough to think it's much more worthwhile giving them game time over a struggling mature aged player.

He is different type of player to Parfitt, closer to comparison to Hardie but imo Hardie's limiting factor is he didn't have any stand out attribute. I think Brodie has the benefit of being there doing that, though we're looking back to 2022 for when he did

I wouldn't pay much to get him but if Freo want him gone and all it costs is salary then I'd be worth having the conversation. Depends how bad the contract really is

The hard part about trading for depth is convincing a player to move for depth. I think brodie could get offers where he saw himself playing more

I don't think he has been in the conversation for Fremantle since they brought in JOM, and at the same time drafted two inside mids with early picks. If he could get out he would

Gee Class Loco, Jumping Jack, any others here with mates at the club... Ask them what Harley Reid was saying to some of our guys on the field about how shit it is at the Eagles when we played them a few weeks back 😮

Out in the open for all to hear, he DGAF. Our boys had a good laugh at it and joked for him to come play at KP to fit in with the blonde headband crew.

Not saying he's coming here, but it sure as shit doesn't sound like he'll be there when he's ooc. Freaking hilarious.

We've got a great record of producing ok AFL players with late picks. And normally much more versatile with less obvious weaknesses than Brodie or Robertson.

We're not even losing that many older players. With Smith, Humphries, Mannagh and Mullin seemingly locked in the best 22 next year and Clark, Clohesy, Knevitt, O'Sullivan and Conway another year older we don't need to be wasting spots on guys that are only going to be depth.

Gee Class Loco, Jumping Jack, any others here with mates at the club... Ask them what Harley Reid was saying to some of our guys on the field about how shit it is at the Eagles when we played them a few weeks back 😮

Out in the open for all to hear, he DGAF. Our boys had a good laugh at it and joked for him to come play at KP to fit in with the blonde headband crew.

Not saying he's coming here, but it sure as shit doesn't sound like he'll be there when he's ooc. Freaking hilarious.

The Cult of the Headband is a real thing?!?

Holy shit i knew it LOL

That was my point, we are losing a lot of depth, if guys go down in the top side who are we replacing them with.

Professional clubs are a squad, not just the 23 picked every week.

Start with the prelim team. Nobody from that team is leaving by the sounds of it.

Then you've got Smith, SDK, Guthrie and O'Connor as proven AFL level players. Possibly Jack Martin if he comes too.

On top of that Clark, Clohesy, Conway, O'Sullivan and Knevitt all played this year and will be a year older next year.

So that's 27-28 with AFL finals experience and 5 developing kids with AFL experience. That's more experience than we started this year with and doesn't look like a team crying out for more depth.

Start with the prelim team. Nobody from that team is leaving by the sounds of it.

Then you've got Smith, SDK, Guthrie and O'Connor as proven AFL level players. Possibly Jack Martin if he comes too.

On top of that Clark, Clohesy, Conway, O'Sullivan and Knevitt all played this year and will be a year older next year.

So that's 27-28 with AFL finals experience and 5 developing kids with AFL experience. That's more experience than we started this year with and doesn't look like a team crying out for more depth.

So you reckon going forward add Smith and Martin and leave the rest of the additions up to late picks, Rookie Draft and Cat B?

Good to hear your point of view and backed up reasons.

Another question!
Who is your best 23 for 2025 assuming we get Baz/Martin and everyone is healthy?

So you reckon going forward add Smith and Martin and leave the rest of the additions up to late picks, Rookie Draft and Cat B?

Another question!
Who is your best 23 for 2025 assuming we get Baz/Martin and everyone is healthy?

I’d assume we will still retain our second round pick this year which is still in a part of the draft with some handy players.

Otherwise I think Smith and Martin may be it as far as trades/DFA.

I think we’ll look to draft a couple of players from the VFL. Jack Henderson has been mentioned as one.

Seems I needed to be clearer with my messaging here. We do sensible deals, don't demand massive overs, and pay more than reasonably for the players we pick up. Meaning that clubs know we'll pay up for players (and reasonably release players) and therefore they don't have to set up (or put up with) frankly silly negotiating positions to deal with us.

And two top-10 picks for SDK (with just one year left to run on his deal) is nothing other than a silly negotiating position.

It's not silly because key calls are the scarcest commodity in the league. Sdk won't get traded anyway so it's academic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d assume we will still retain our second round pick this year which is still in a part of the draft with some handy players.

Otherwise I think Smith and Martin may be it as far as trades/DFA.

I think we’ll look to draft a couple of players from the VFL. Jack Henderson has been mentioned as one.

I think our r2 will go in the smith deal (we might get a r3 back like the Dunkley deal). Will get some late picks (hopefully incl Henderson or bice) and a few rookies.

He is different type of player to Parfitt, closer to comparison to Hardie but imo Hardie's limiting factor is he didn't have any stand out attribute. I think Brodie has the benefit of being there doing that, though we're looking back to 2022 for when he did

I wouldn't pay much to get him but if Freo want him gone and all it costs is salary then I'd be worth having the conversation. Depends how bad the contract really is

Brodie doesn't have the tank for afl same as constable. I'd much rather get Kennedy if the point is to chase a proper big bodied inside mid.

Another question!

Best 23 is impossible to say right now. It depends so much on how players improve and whether any draftees do well. Humphries and Mannagh weren't even on our list at this point last year.

But fingers crossed Guthrie gets back fit and close to his best. Even if that's in the backline rather than midfield it would be a huge improvement.

And hopefully a few of the younger guys like SDK, Mullin, Clark, Bruhn, O Henry etc who have shown talent can explode like Holmes and Dempsey did this year. I'd be disappointed if limited older guys like Bews and Stanley are best 22 next year.

Ok Cats fans lets get back to Trade/Draft talk instead of our young Irish heartthrob.....

Scotty made reference to many Footies being "in the air" so to speak.

Outside of the obvious Bailey Smith and Jack Martin links.

Who are we thinking he was referring to?
Is "Mystery Mid" 2: Electric Boogaloo on the cards?
calder_daddy is usually ITK on the Mystery Mid. I'm sure cats_09 would agree its better to get some discussion going actually related to the thread.

Reckon "The Cold Cut" Deven Robertson would be a good shout.
Can't get a look in at the Lions, stayed when he probably shouldn't have and is about to get pushed out by Levi Ashcroft and young Lions academy kid Marshall. Gives us a former 1st round pick midfielder who can win footy.

Thoughts? Jumping Jack, Kobe Gryant, Warhorse, CatToTheFuture, Catman catempire

I'd rather conor stone than Robertson if we are going down that fringe player in a strong side type of route.

I think our r2 will go in the smith deal (we might get a r3 back like the Dunkley deal). Will get some late picks (hopefully incl Henderson or bice) and a few rookies.

I think we are more likely to offer a F2. We won’t want to trade completely out of this draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back