Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Conway...

A lot of that I agree with re this year Smith and maybe one or two cheap trades and that's it (bar mature agers like Henderson in the draft).

The only bit I disagree is with any possibility trading fr1 into this year.
1. Unless theres a crazy slider on the night there's no one in this pool I'd say it's worth taking the risk for
2. If we were going to trade the FR1 we are better off to trade it forward into 2026 and stockpile picks for 26/27-given this is when both Reid and cadman will be ooc (obvious needs for us).

I do think in the meantime we will have a crack at Brayshaw and a couple of other FAs next year though-we have the cap room for both we just have a limited supply of picks.
If they introduce multiple years of futures… I wonder how many R1 picks will it take to get H Reid. If we know of get told that he is interested when OOC..then agree if we can.. we best start saving our R1 picks

Whats the odds we can get any of Brayshaw or Butters as a FA. We do seem to target FA players in hig finishing teams… whcih means they get comp later in R1… ..seems like its a prelude to a match and trade.

No way would I like to lose him- so versatile, and watching his brother's evolution, so much upside yet for Sam even as a prospective ruck. BUT if he is truly disgruntled, he is not the right mix for us- we can not have players putting themselves ahead of the team. I didn't pick him as a prima donna, and not saying he is, but players who have had it all dished up to him like he has, only to leave at the first sign of hardship, are not worthy of our angst.
Dekoning worries me a fair bit so I'm open to getting a good trade for him. Still young and 200cm + versatile players don't grow on trees but he nearly hasn't played a good game in 2 years.

We looked better without him this year. Some argue he was only out due to injury but we looked better without him.

He wasn't playing that well pre 2022, came from no where and then looked a lock to be our KPD for the next 10 years.

I worry about his competitiveness. Could easily regret trading him but 2 years ago I would never consider it, now I'm wondering whether there's an opportunity to benefit from the situation whilst he still has currency.

Dekoning worries me a fair bit so I'm open to getting a good trade for him. Still young and 200cm + versatile players don't grow on trees but he nearly hasn't played a good game in 2 years.

We looked better without him this year. Some argue he was only out due to injury but we looked better without him.

He wasn't playing that well pre 2022, came from no where and then looked a lock to be our KPD for the next 10 years.

I worry about his competitiveness. Could easily regret trading him but 2 years ago I would never consider it, now I'm wondering whether there's an opportunity to benefit from the situation whilst he still has currency.
He's had a couple of average years.
But honestly, if he didn't break out in 2022 we'd be saying he's progressing nicely. We just have greater expectations.

Add to that, that other teams will have looked at ways to beat him.
And then you add in that Scott said that we want him in the ruck to help him develop.

It would be a big mistake to move him on.
I'm not sure where you're getting the competitiveness from. I can only guess its from when his brother pushed him around.
I wouldn't be trading him if that happened once per year.

I did hear his brother speak about that game.
He didn't know he was playing against Sam. But obviously Sam did.

Because he sent Sam a message during the week asking if he could stay at his place.
Sam never responded.

He's had a couple of average years.
But honestly, if he didn't break out in 2022 we'd be saying he's progressing nicely. We just have greater expectations.

Add to that, that other teams will have looked at ways to beat him.
And then you add in that Scott said that we want him in the ruck to help him develop.

It would be a big mistake to move him on.
I'm not sure where you're getting the competitiveness from. I can only guess its from when his brother pushed him around.
I wouldn't be trading him if that happened once per year.

I did hear his brother speak about that game.
He didn't know he was playing against Sam. But obviously Sam did.

Because he sent Sam a message during the week asking if he could stay at his place.
Sam never responded.
Competitiveness probably isn't the right word and I want to be careful in how I would describe it......fortitude maybe?

I'm not certain and it could be me completely misreading body language but it is an impression he gives me which has persisted since he was drafted.

I'm not saying we should definitely trade him and also not certain he lacks fortitude, I just have doubts which makes me open to the right trade.

Competitiveness probably isn't the right word and I want to be careful in how I would describe it......fortitude maybe?

I'm not certain and it could be me completely misreading body language but it is an impression he gives me which has persisted since he was drafted.

I'm not saying we should definitely trade him and also not certain he lacks fortitude, I just have doubts which makes me open to the right trade.
I know what you're saying. He comes across as a ball hunter and not someone like Stewart for example who's intent is to smash into an opponent first and run off him second.

But I'd also say that Blicavs plays more the ball hunter role.

After a couple of rough years injury wise and not always playing to the level we & he knows he is capable off, Sam needs a big off season but wondering if he could also benefit from working with a sports psychologist to get that belief he belongs

Back in 2022 he just dominated that backline, took ownership of his role etc, but there's been a level of hesitancy since then and wonder if that's connected a bit to the injuries over the last couple of seasons - so working on what's between the ears could be as important as working on the physical side of his game
I reckon he dominated until we tried to shoehorn the big dope Ratagolea into that backline. Seemed to lose all direction and had looked at sea and timid since. Having his face caved in around the same time didn't do much for his confidence either. But if he's seriously dropped the bottom lip and wants a trade (and not saying he is) because he wasn't picked for that prelim then good riddance. No-one is bigger than the team, just look what Max has done since his omission, used it as fuel and had improved year after year. That's the attitude and the fire he should be channelling imo

He looked physically and mentally intimidated by his brother in THAT game, and whilst the relationship may have had something to do with it, I too see something that tells me he won't be a player that relishes the hard, physical contact.

To what extent the facial injury still plays on his mind is an unknown, and if it still does, it's a hurdle he must overcome.

Then again, the injury might have just exacerbated an existing reluctance, or lack of know how, to impose himself.

Either way, he doesn't seem to have as hard an edge as his brother. That isn't a criticism, just an observation.

FYI:

The Free Agency window runs from October 4-11, with the trade period to start on October 7 and finish on October 16.

The 2024 Telstra AFL Draft will be held on November 20-21.

Your club's draft picks as of September 29, 2024

Adelaide: 4, 25, 42, 60
Brisbane: 18, 56, 69
Carlton: 11, 31, 62, 65, 68
Collingwood: 33, 48, 51
Essendon: 8, 28
Fremantle: 9, 10, 16, 27, 63
Geelong: 15, 35, 53, 71
Gold Coast: 6, 12, 20, 26, 38, 46, 74
Greater Western Sydney: 14, 34, 49, 52, 70
Hawthorn: 13, 30, 67, 73
Melbourne: 5, 37, 45, 50, 61
North Melbourne: 2, 22, 40, 58, 64
Port Adelaide: 36, 54
Richmond: 1, 21, 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 72
St Kilda: 7, 24, 43
Sydney: 17, 19, 55
West Coast: 3, 23, 59
Western Bulldogs: 32, 44

Would folks like any of the above, such as the FA & trade period dates added to the stickied post?

Full article here - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1229336...ree Agency window runs,held on November 20-21.

Also,
IT'S TIME to tune in for the best trade news and analysis with the return of Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio for 2024, from 7am AEST every weekday.

Our superstar line-up will bring footy fans all the breaking news, views and player movements as they happen, every weekday from 7am-6pm AEST throughout the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

Who's on and when (all times AEST)

7am - The Early Trade: Kane Cornes and Sam Edmund
9am - Trade Mornings: Cam Luke and Adam Cooney
11am - AFL Trade Exchange: Sarah Olle and Josh Gabelich
12pm - Gettable on Trade Radio: Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge
1pm - The Trade Feed:
Tom Morris and Dan Hannebery
3pm - The Late Trade: Damian Barrett, Brad Johnson and Josh Jenkins

How to follow all the trade news live​

Head to AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App for:

• All the deals as they happen
  • Rolling coverage of all the latest trade and free agency developments
  • The day's biggest trade news at a glance
  • Reaction, analysis, and the best of social media

How to get alerts on the AFL Live Official App​

Fire up the App, tap the three dots in the right-hand corner on the App homepage, scroll down and tap on 'Notifications', then turn on AFL News.

Courtesy of ABC Radio Jake Nial this morning

Shai Bolton to Frem , Baker to West Coast and D Rioli to Gold Coast , Richmond ( do i hate them even more than Hawthorn , very hard question to answer ) - the Tigers are like the old chicken being plucked .

FYI:

The Free Agency window runs from October 4-11, with the trade period to start on October 7 and finish on October 16.

The 2024 Telstra AFL Draft will be held on November 20-21.

Your club's draft picks as of September 29, 2024

Adelaide: 4, 25, 42, 60
Brisbane: 18, 56, 69
Carlton: 11, 31, 62, 65, 68
Collingwood: 33, 48, 51
Essendon: 8, 28
Fremantle: 9, 10, 16, 27, 63
Geelong: 15, 35, 53, 71
Gold Coast: 6, 12, 20, 26, 38, 46, 74
Greater Western Sydney: 14, 34, 49, 52, 70
Hawthorn: 13, 30, 67, 73
Melbourne: 5, 37, 45, 50, 61
North Melbourne: 2, 22, 40, 58, 64
Port Adelaide: 36, 54
Richmond: 1, 21, 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 72
St Kilda: 7, 24, 43
Sydney: 17, 19, 55
West Coast: 3, 23, 59
Western Bulldogs: 32, 44

Would folks like any of the above, such as the FA & trade period dates added to the stickied post?

Full article here - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1229336/draft-order-your-clubs-picks-locked-in-for-2024-free-agency-trade-period#:~:text=The Free Agency window runs,held on November 20-21.

Also,
IT'S TIME to tune in for the best trade news and analysis with the return of Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio for 2024, from 7am AEST every weekday.

Our superstar line-up will bring footy fans all the breaking news, views and player movements as they happen, every weekday from 7am-6pm AEST throughout the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

Who's on and when (all times AEST)

7am - The Early Trade: Kane Cornes and Sam Edmund
9am - Trade Mornings: Cam Luke and Adam Cooney
11am - AFL Trade Exchange: Sarah Olle and Josh Gabelich
12pm - Gettable on Trade Radio: Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge
1pm - The Trade Feed: Tom Morris and Dan Hannebery
3pm - The Late Trade: Damian Barrett, Brad Johnson and Josh Jenkins

How to follow all the trade news live​

Head to AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App for:

• All the deals as they happen
  • Rolling coverage of all the latest trade and free agency developments
  • The day's biggest trade news at a glance
  • Reaction, analysis, and the best of social media

How to get alerts on the AFL Live Official App​

Fire up the App, tap the three dots in the right-hand corner on the App homepage, scroll down and tap on 'Notifications', then turn on AFL News.

Is it me or is trade and FA period getting longer and longer??

Especially when for most of it nothing happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you see the future possibility of us getting Harley Reid? Have you prognosticated that?
Does it involve trades like Humphries- please no-?
It will take this, and he and west coast will get it.

$20 mil over 8 years.
2 players like Humphries and Dempsey and two early round one draft picks.

Worth it!

I think its just that we never cared, AFL wide.

But we've now become a society that expects immediate solace.
I personally think it is just the AFL wanting to stay in the media/news for as much of the year as possible it is also why they want mid season trades and other stupid shit

I don't think it is either, but I can see some idiot thinking it
AFL media absolutely LOVE clutching pearls over dumb shit.

"I just don't think it's a good look, Caro. Concentrate on your footy, get yourself right, cut down on the Instagram, and put the energy from Brand Bailey into Bailey Smith the footballer"

- Kane Cornes, probably.

After a couple of rough years injury wise and not always playing to the level we & he knows he is capable off, Sam needs a big off season but wondering if he could also benefit from working with a sports psychologist to get that belief he belongs

Back in 2022 he just dominated that backline, took ownership of his role etc, but there's been a level of hesitancy since then and wonder if that's connected a bit to the injuries over the last couple of seasons - so working on what's between the ears could be as important as working on the physical side of his game
Yes. And most clubs are really onto that.

I think that can get overstated somewhat - Port almost made a GF again in 2014, Geelong backed up 1994 with 95, Sydney from 2022 to 2024, and also from 2014 to 2016.

Some of those sides do just get lucky to even make the GF, and that shows in the coming years.
I'm not suggesting they can't play good footy - obviously we did in 1995, and the Swans played very good footy this year, both during the season and in the finals.

But they can't win a flag.

Port didn't actually get there in 2014, we got absolutely smashed in '95, and so did the Swans yesterday. They were at least competitive in 2016, but still soundly beaten.

No team in the AFL era has managed to win a flag within a decade of getting smashed in a GF because on the 'G, on the last Saturday in September, in front of 100,000 people, the demons come back.

And now that it's happened to the Swans twice in 3 seasons, I'll bet any money that they won't win a flag until they have turned their current list over. No chance before 2030. They'll probably keep making finals and playing some great regular season footy, especially since their best players still have plenty of years left, but they won't win a flag.

Totally agree. I think there is more room for optimism at the end of this year than last, and I was an outlier saying we’d bounce back for finals this year. Cannot at all see why people think we won’t be thereabouts again.
Injuries permitting, I think we're a great chance at top 4 again next year. I see a lot of upside and fairly limited downside.

I'm not suggesting they can't play good footy - obviously we did in 1995, and the Swans played very good footy this year, both during the season and in the finals.

But they can't win a flag.

Port didn't actually get there in 2014, we got absolutely smashed in '95, and so did the Swans yesterday. They were at least competitive in 2016, but still soundly beaten.

No team in the AFL era has managed to win a flag within a decade of getting smashed in a GF because on the 'G, on the last Saturday in September, in front of 100,000 people, the demons come back.

And now that it's happened to the Swans twice in 3 seasons, I'll bet any money that they won't win a flag until they have turned their current list over. No chance before 2030.

Anyone we could potentially target from Sydney who may be looking for a fresh start?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back