Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Look I agree its easier if you pick FA from a bottom 6 club so they won't match eg ldu and balta next year wouldn't be matched. Its harder as top 6 clubs will match. That said I'm sure we will chase Brayshaw and a couple of others next year.

On Harley I'm sure his management will tell his chosen club 12 months out that he wants them so they have time to stockpile picks. If the afl loosens future trading rules then he's going to cost at least 3 R1s (unless one of our R1s was guaranteed to be top 5 that would be the cost) plus a good player. It will be painful one of the biggest trades in decades but likely worth it (if we pulled it off).
Watching him burn off Petracca for GOTY, he has all the attributes for such a young player- what do you think we could offer that won't cause too much angst? Your insights in this area are second to none imho. Admittedly, it's a fair way off- our list will change a bit by then.

Last edited:
Look I agree its easier if you pick FA from a bottom 6 club so they won't match eg ldu and balta next year wouldn't be matched. Its harder as top 6 clubs will match. That said I'm sure we will chase Brayshaw and a couple of others next year.

On Harley I'm sure his management will tell his chosen club 12 months out that he wants them so they have time to stockpile picks. If the afl loosens future trading rules then he's going to cost at least 3 R1s (unless one of our R1s was guaranteed to be top 5 that would be the cost) plus a good player. It will be painful one of the biggest trades in decades but likely worth it (if we pulled it off).

I could see how the addition of Brayshaw and Butters as FA would be ideal..it would change our mid group strength immediately. Probably cover us once Danger goes …but I suspect both Freo and Port would match..

Getting HRied would be a win unlike any we have ever had. If iot took three R1’s then so be it… but it all on him not signing and wanting us. Have we ever recruited someone that young and highly rated? If the WC coach is to be believed players we ringing them up in a wish to play with him. Adding him would be a hell of a recruitment advantage. Would hurt if someone like Hump and a couple R1’s were the cost.

Yet ..I could easily see him signing for a couple of years ..and being OOC ..just when Tas is looking for players… can you imagine what they will be paying some players. My guess they will have a lot more SCap at the start. They will want them in the finals asap.

In hindsight it’s probably better to keep playing.
Scott was asked this after the game and he went around the question a little bit and said “if we had an option to win or lose week 1 we obviously take the win” and didn’t really answer straight away about whether it’s good to have the extra week off.

I never thought I would say this but it might get to the point that you’re better off finishing outside of the 4 depending on your list.
Bucks had an article before the prelim and said that it’s not idea preparation for Geelong having the breaks.
It seemed ok for Sydney because let’s face it, they played a pretty ordinary port team in the prelim.

The pre finals bye is a disaster imo and completely takes away the advantage of finishing top 4 and winning week 1.

Anyway sorry I’m off topic here.
Didn't stop Pies last year, us in 2022 or the Dee's in 2021.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't know if it was or not, but his issue that night wasn't his skill in the ruck but his struggle to cope with the aggression that Tom threw at him.

Tom went at him hard, bullied him - as if he knew Sam was somehow vulnerable - and Sam appeared intimidated.

In fairness though Sam did regain some composure in the second half, but it was an interesting insight I thought.
Yes Next time they meet will be interesting.

That is the operative point.
Our list is difficult with our dependence on Danger, Stanley, Stewart, (Duncan- hopefully that is to a lesser extent)Blicavs- these guys definitely NEED the 2 weeks off. Danger can not back up big games consecutively.
Finishing top 4 still saw 75% of the prelim teams there.
Until that balance changes, difficult to agree with you.
The other issue is Brisbane's road to September this year was far from ideal- several ACL's, multiple early season losses, but once they got going, they looked like the best team in the comp, more impressive than Swans, and so they might have finished 5th, but in all honesty, they were easily a top 2 or 3 team.
I've gotta do the right thing here and credit China Cats when he was saying Lions were the best team in it a few weeks ago and the ones to beat. I didn't see the appeal, thought he/she was overating them and under rating us and Sydney. Maybe I was a little blinded by my blue and white blinkers but fair play, they looked fantastic yesterday so well done Lions and China Cats, credit where credits due.

The issue they now have is that group now has a massive mark against them for being brittle in 2 out of the last 3 Grand Finals and there is no guarantee that they will get back there, let alone win one.

Sydneys 22-24 era might set them back further than people realise.
Agree, they looked damaged yesterday as soon as the lions started getting on top in the second. You could see them thinking oh FFS not again

Exactly.. I don't understand what some people expect on what young players who just get drafted to go and play like Nick Daicos etc..

Remember in life, you have to crawl before you can walk
Nick Daicos is a very rare player indeed. Not only did he get the genetics, but he was also in at the club training and getting coaches as a young teenager. Probably what the Ashcroft boys got too.

It’s probably why I like seeing kids like Dempsey do well, as they didn’t have the coaching or development, but just did well on their own merits.

Words only his mother would say.
Or Angus Sheldrick himself. G'day Angus!!

In all seriousness, he's probably going to be a decent footballer, but he's not what we need.

Bruhn, Clark, & Clohesy are all players of that ilk. On the smaller side for mids, and focus on grunt and contest first and foremost.

We need a burst player with speed to complement Holmes (Smith, and/or Butters), and a big bodied clearance bull to replace Dangerfield (Hopefully Reid, maybe Brayshaw or LDU).

90% of anything else available is just slightly better or worse versions of what we already have.

Handy depth, and you'd take them at the right price, but they likely won't move the needle.

The Cats team they faced had only played 1 game in a month. If they faced the Cats side of the QF it wouldn't have been close.
Did you think that if Ling's goal v Saints in the 2010 QF had not been disallowed, we may have won that flag?
Or if Hawkins' goal v Saints in 09 GF had been correctly called a behind, Saints would have hung on to win that flag?
Or if Milne had actually made that 2010 goal instead of letting it bounce through for a behind, there would not have been a draw and Saint win that elusive flag?
Many ifs have occurred.
We will never know.

I could see how the addition of Brayshaw and Butters as FA would be ideal..it would change our mid group strength immediately. Probably cover us once Danger goes …but I suspect both Freo and Port would match..

Getting HRied would be a win unlike any we have ever had. If iot took three R1’s then so be it… but it all on him not signing and wanting us. Have we ever recruited someone that young and highly rated? If the WC coach is to be believed players we ringing them up in a wish to play with him. Adding him would be a hell of a recruitment advantage. Would hurt if someone like Hump and a couple R1’s were the cost.

Yet ..I could easily see him signing for a couple of years ..and being OOC ..just when Tas is looking for players… can you imagine what they will be paying some players. My guess they will have a lot more SCap at the start. They will want them in the finals asap.

Agree on all that. Freo I think depends on next year if they finish bottom 10 (which would get long Muir sacked anyway) and Warner comes then they might not match brayshaw otherwise they will.
Port would definitely match butters but not till 26 anyway.
As I said guys like ldu (though he seems settled at north) and Balta are probably easier types to lever out because they won't be matched.

On Harley yes he's almost a generational talent so while every trade has its price limit he's the one I'd be prepared to pay more for. I'd try to hold onto Humphries (he might not even want wce anyway) and trade someone I rated less in the deal but either way it would cause some real pain..it will be a blockbuster trade price whoever gets him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue they now have is that group now has a massive mark against them for being brittle in 2 out of the last 3 Grand Finals and there is no guarantee that they will get back there, let alone win one.

Sydneys 22-24 era might set them back further than people realise.
You can’t underestimate the psychological scarring those two shellackings will have left them with.

If they make the GF again any time in the next 6-8 years, I’d be very happy being the team up against them.

You can’t underestimate the psychological scarring those two shellackings will have left them with.

If they make the GF again any time in the next 6-8 years, I’d be very happy being the team up against them.
Harsh reminder of Geelong 1989 until 1995. The running joke was -
Q. who will win the flag?
A. whoever plays Geelong.

Did you think that if Ling's goal v Saints in the 2010 QF had not been disallowed, we may have won that flag?
Or if Hawkins' goal v Saints in 09 GF had been correctly called a behind, Saints would have hung on to win that flag?
Or if Milne had actually made that 2010 goal instead of letting it bounce through for a behind, there would not have been a draw and Saint win that elusive flag?
Many ifs have occurred.
We will never know.
I don't disagree with those sentiments at all. In the context of this season we were beaten by Brisbane and that's all there is to it. I meant it with regards to the overall quality of the 2 teams moving forward and our chances next year.

Many ifs have occurred.
We will never know.
Oooh good hypotheticals. I go for no, no, and yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back