Roast Goalkicking

Remove this Banner Ad

**** me, our kicking at goal is bloody atrocious. We seriously need to rectify this situation quick smart. I cannot count how many games we have choked under pressure in games because we have choked in front of goals. We need to start implementing a penalty system for missed shots, set and on the run.

Missed set shots should be worth 1 Lap of Punt road, and a missed shot from the run is a sprint from goal to goal. I'm just sick of having all the dominance on the scoreboard, but still losing because we cannot kick straight, whilst sides against us kick straight and tear away.

Sort this **** out or get a new forward coach. We are going nowhere with our current one.

Turn that one lap into 20 laps and then we might see some results.

Be a two way result too. We should see increased accuracy and fitness.

Seriously though, we are our own worst enemy. Teams do not fear us. They know if they kick straight, they are always in with a sniff against us. I'm getting sick of this being the case.

The one that really annoyed me today was Vickery's second shot. He didn't kick through it, and tried to guide it. When you try and guide it, you expose the ball to the wind, and Vickery's shot faded drastically. He needs to kick it harder.

the issues is accentuated when we have all the momentum early in games and go into to quarter time with something along the lines of 2.6 or 1.7. Have never rewarded our own effort and momentum with score board pressure, consequently turning a game that we should be in control of early in to an arm wrestle at best. Or worse the opposition get their turn of the momentum and bang on 4-5 unanswered goals. It must be completely mental

**** me, our kicking at goal is bloody atrocious. We seriously need to rectify this situation quick smart. I cannot count how many games we have choked under pressure in games because we have choked in front of goals. We need to start implementing a penalty system for missed shots, set and on the run.

Missed set shots should be worth 1 Lap of Punt road, and a missed shot from the run is a sprint from goal to goal. I'm just sick of having all the dominance on the scoreboard, but still losing because we cannot kick straight, whilst sides against us kick straight and tear away.

Sort this **** out or get a new forward coach. We are going nowhere with our current one.

Do both....

Cotch's set shots seem all too predictable these days, especially in Captain's moments. Anyone have the stats?

Wouldn't be the first talented player to struggle with goal kicking but FMD wouldn't mind if he sorted it out soon...

Cotch's set shots seem all too predictable these days, especially in Captain's moments. Anyone have the stats?

Wouldn't be the first talented player to struggle with goal kicking but FMD wouldn't mind if he sorted it out soon...

I remember the game he missed against the Swans to win it for us, and he spent the next half hour after the game when the stadium was empty practicing his set shots. Needs to start really working on his goalkicking because he has had a few of them this year to keep our momentum going and has missed, resulting in a quick goal the other way.

I remember the game he missed against the Swans to win it for us, and he spent the next half hour after the game when the stadium was empty practicing his set shots. Needs to start really working on his goalkicking because he has had a few of them this year to keep our momentum going and has missed, resulting in a quick goal the other way.
Very true.

From memory (could be wrong) the Swans game was a snap, which I don't think he struggles with. Something about his set shot routine though is in his head.

Jack's routine is pretty good, just follows it everytime. Even if he kicks a shocker, reasonably confident he'll slot the next one. Should have a word to his skipper!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a relief that we lifted our training standards over the last pre-season (according to that video posted on the website). Imagine how sh*t we'd be if we just kept doing what we were doing.

Someone at the club should make a banner with a yellow and black target and give it to the cheer squad and the players told to aim for it with their set shots.

I'm haven't played football for a while, but my football routine was pretty simple.

One of the things that I used to do was to take a few fresh air swings and see the angle my foot is travelling, and where the ball would most likely go with that trajectory. Makes adjusting the kick a little easier.

Taking a few deep breathes with your eyes closed. Drown EVERYTHING you can see out, and deep breaths to calm down and focus. When you open your eyes, focus on the goals. Focus on a point behind it and follow through.

These two little tips helped me immensely when I was struggling with my set shots. One of the things that I have noticed with our players, as they are looking to settle down, they are often looking around slyly for another option. They can't do that. It is distracting and disrupts their routine. You either give it off, or you go back. There can be no indecision.

Maybe if our debt free, multi million dollar profiting club actually put their hand in their pocket to buy AFL standard-height goal and point posts for our players to practice kicking at we might improve.

I can't imagine there is any other professional sporting club in the world that doesn't have the correct sized posts for their players to practice shooting at.

the issues is accentuated when we have all the momentum early in games and go into to quarter time with something along the lines of 2.6 or 1.7. Have never rewarded our own effort and momentum with score board pressure, consequently turning a game that we should be in control of early in to an arm wrestle at best. Or worse the opposition get their turn of the momentum and bang on 4-5 unanswered goals. It must be completely mental
Last week to a tee.

Maybe if our debt free, multi million dollar profiting club actually put their hand in their pocket to buy AFL standard-height goal and point posts for our players to practice kicking at we might improve.

I can't imagine there is any other professional sporting club in the world that doesn't have the correct sized posts for their players to practice shooting at.
Shouldn't matter if go thru the middle;).

It's very different to his usual kicking style. Normally he hunches right over the ball, but when he kicks a set shot he leans right back.
Might be clutching at straws here but we have started the past two seasons , since returning to the new revamped punt road , with traits that would indicate a lack of fitness.

It's mental - and it's driving me mental.
I used to play off single figures then overnight I couldn't sink a putt inside 3 feet on the course. Practice green I would nail everyone of them. In the space of six months I was playing off 16 and gave it away. Technique never changed just the pressure I put in myself. Same applies to footy, 30m out directly in front everyone expects you to make it. So in your head you have kicked it before you take a step, then something in your mind creates doubt and next thing you miss it. Richo is exhibit A. 20m out we were all nervous as hell because we knew how much he struggled. 50m out on the boundary, no pressure bang through she goes.

No amount of practice at training can replicate the pressure that is created on the field. Players and coaches need to find a way that each individual can cope with it. Some have no problems right through their careers, some struggle from game 1. Vickery used to be a dead eye but is now struggling. I don't know if a psyc is needed at each club but I don't think it would hurt.

Players are blowing up when having a shot and most shots miss to the same side they kick on . Either getting flogged on the track or aren't fit .

Please....

They kick them in q4 when everyone's rooted. Mentally weak the vickery shot was a disgrace. 25 out directly in front. Morris in q1 just shit and it sucks the momentum out of us.
Great opportunity to make a statement and put the opposition on the back foot.
It kills us

what the bombers have is , if they miss a shot everyone does 50 pushups, dahniher missed lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Goalkicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back